• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL appealing Watson suspension

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
surprise-sarcastic.gif

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So correct me if I'm wrong here...

Watson had a chance to accept a settlement deal from the NFL of 12-games and around a $10 million fine (his salary for 2021) - He declined and now with this appeal, he'll likely serve a lot more than those 6 games.

Ain't no F'n way Deshaun wants this to go before a federal court. Then we'll see a lot more dirty laundry being aired out.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shocked GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

sharkymcwrath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm likely in the minority on this but I think that's fucking bullshit. The dude didn't r*pe or violently abuse anybody nor did anything he allegedly did involve minors. There's also the issue of the kid getting paid off by his mom to not tell the truth which brings at least a little doubt into at least some of the allegations.

Additionally, it's not like these chicks haven't seen cock before. Jesus.

But the public outcry for "justice" caused Roger to get weak in the knees. I've seen people say he should be banned for life without actually knowing the details of what he did.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Watson had a chance to accept a settlement deal from the NFL of 12-games and around a $10 million fine (his salary for 2021) - He declined and now with this appeal, he'll likely serve a lot more than those 6 games.
Well, he could ultimately accept whatever the NFL recomends, or maybe work out another deal...

But, if the NFLPA sues - Watson could play this year (I'm guessing after the original 6 games, not sure on that) - but the way the CBA is written, the NFL is allowed to do this, RG is the final authority - and whatever games Watson ends up playing this year, but missing next year is going to end up costing him a lot more money.

In a way, the structure that was meant to prevent the NFL from touching the large portion of his salary could end up biting him in the ass if he decides to try and sue, and loses as expected....

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm likely in the minority on this but I think that's fucking bullshit. The dude didn't r*pe or violently abuse anybody nor did anything he allegedly did involve minors. There's also the issue of the kid getting paid off by his mom to not tell the truth which brings at least a little doubt into at least some of the allegations.

Additionally, it's not like these chicks haven't seen cock before. Jesus.

But the public outcry for "justice" caused Roger to get weak in the knees. I've seen people say he should be banned for life without actually knowing the details of what he did.
So you don't have any problem with this guy leveraging his status to threaten women into massaging his penis?

:susp:

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ain't no F'n way Deshaun wants this to go before a federal court. Then we'll see a lot more dirty laundry being aired out.
I thought I heard if the NFL appeals, that this is going to Federal Court which means his current status of being suspended, is no longer the case. He is eligible week 1 to play. If the Federal court is busy, it could be a year before they get to his case, allowing him to play this entire year before the case is even heard. If that is the case, and say he gets suspended for a year after the federal court case, his $1 million dollars he makes this year as salary outside his signing bonus, isn't what is going to be hit, it will be next years $45 million dollars that is at risk.

Was I not hearing this correct?

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought I heard if the NFL appeals, that this is going to Federal Court which means his current status of being suspended, is no longer the case. He is illegible week 1 to play. If the Federal court is busy, it could be a year before they get to his case, allowing him to play this entire year before the case is even heard. If that is the case, and say he gets suspended for a year after the federal court case, his $1 million dollars he makes this year as salary outside his signing bonus, isn't what is going to be hit, it will be next years $45 million dollars that is at risk.

I think that's right - if he plays this year, he'll be paid based on the 2022 salary schedule, or a base of his 1M.

If he's then suspended next year - he risk his 46M salary.

It sucks, but the prudent move is to take the hit this year, suck it up, and save 46M next year. Even if he's fined 10M, that's 11M loss and a 35M gain.

If he plays this year, and loses 12 games next year as the minimum - he loses roughly 32.5M........

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that's right - if he plays this year, he'll be paid based on the 2022 salary schedule, or a base of his 1M.

It sucks, but the prudent move is to take the hit this year, suck it up, and save 46M next year. Even if he's fined 10M, that's 11M loss and a 35M gain.

If he plays this year, and loses 12 games next year as the minimum - he loses roughly 32.5M........
Agree. It seems it would be better overall to just take the punishment now and move on. It seems unlikely that he will be completely exonerated in court, so in essence he is dragging this thing out with the risk of losing a lot more $.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought I heard if the NFL appeals, that this is going to Federal Court which means his current status of being suspended, is no longer the case. He is illegible week 1 to play. If the Federal court is busy, it could be a year before they get to his case, allowing him to play this entire year before the case is even heard. If that is the case, and say he gets suspended for a year after the federal court case, his $1 million dollars he makes this year as salary outside his signing bonus, isn't what is going to be hit, it will be next years $45 million dollars that is at risk.

pretty sure this is correct.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm not sure of all the details or order of operations here, but I think there are several things on the table. The league appeals and decides the suspension should be a year. Watson challenges and it goes to Federal Court. In this case, couldn't Watson proceed to sit out the 6 games as originally decided by the judge. It's possible that the federal court could rule by the time he's done with those 6.... If they haven't ruled yet, he could begin playing, but any game he plays could be applied to the next year. Is that even possible?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure of all the details or order of operations here, but I think there are several things on the table. The league appeals and decides the suspension should be a year. Watson challenges and it goes to Federal Court. In this case, couldn't Watson proceed to sit out the 6 games as originally decided by the judge. It's possible that the federal court could rule by the time he's done with those 6.... If they haven't ruled yet, he could begin playing, but any game he plays could be applied to the next year. Is that even possible?
Seems like it should be possible but my guess is it isn't.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like it should be possible but my guess is it isn't.
I mean, I guess he could voluntarily serve those games.... Much the way a college imposes sanctions on themselves. It just seems to me that no matter the outcome, the 6 games will stick regardless. Might as well serve those 6 games given the team already has a plan for it and it's financially feasible.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meanwhile, the NFL PR machine is working overtime to make sure they look good. Roger is gong to tout how he wouldn't accept this type of behavior against women and how he really wanted to throw the book at Watson. This is all about league image at this point and I think Roger sees this as his chance to look tough on crimes impacting women.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought I heard if the NFL appeals, that this is going to Federal Court which means his current status of being suspended, is no longer the case. He is eligible week 1 to play. If the Federal court is busy, it could be a year before they get to his case, allowing him to play this entire year before the case is even heard. If that is the case, and say he gets suspended for a year after the federal court case, his $1 million dollars he makes this year as salary outside his signing bonus, isn't what is going to be hit, it will be next years $45 million dollars that is at risk.

So by that theory... Then Watson's best bet now that the appeal is filed, is to either accept it (no contest?) or else challenge/seek settlement and risk his next year's salary?