• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFC West Predictions 2018

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The same reason baseball teams continued to use wins/losses when evaluating pitchers, or RBIs and errors when evaluating position players. Mostly stubbornness. And more teams ARE doing it. Teams are promoting and hiring coaches who are innovative (I know it's a buzz word, but it applies) in their approach to the passing game. Teams are throwing the ball more than ever before. And yeah, talent helps, but on the flip side, a creative offensive philosophy that schemes guys open and provides a flurry of check down options is actually a good way to mask a lack of talent. New England has been doing that for years.

When you really look at the statistical data behind offenses, there's really no debating that throwing the ball more often gives you the best chance to score points. If I'm playing devil's advocate, I would actually say that the biggest argument against it would be the impact it has on your own team's defense. I don't claim to know that correlation, but I would imagine there is a benefit to your own defense by running the ball effectively.

The interesting thing about bringing up NE: they were the winner in last night's game against the en vogue Chiefs. The Pats ran more times than they passed.

I am not saying there is one way to do it or that one way is better than another way, but you have to have the right people to try to play how the Chiefs and Rams are playing. I don't buy that the Cardinals and Bills are just victims of their own stubbornness. Throwing the ball "more" may give you a better chance to score more points if you have a great QB, but it may not if you have a middle of the road or worse starter. I also don't buy that you can just make an average to below average QB into a much better one simply by being "innovative" or deciding to be "explosive" and throwing it more. Maybe I'm one of those stubborn guys you're talking about, haha.

I'll leave this part of the discussion (which I appreciate, btw) with this: last night in a game against an undefeated opponent that has one of the best offenses in the league, the head coach who many think is the best of all time decided -- with the QB who many think is the GOAT -- to run it more than he threw it.

The Chargers could be close to a PK, but I will bet a healthy sum of money that unless there are major injuries we will be dogs against Minnesota. Not that it matters in the end.

We have very disparate opinions on how good Minny is I guess. I really liked them in pre-season, but the product hasn't really matched up to the hype for me, and then you have the beating they took at home by Buffalo when they were favored by like the biggest margin in a billion years or something like that. They are having a really hard time running the ball. Red flags with that team. If we played them this Sunday, I would bet anything we would be a slim favorite at home. Week 14 is a long way off though, so I guess we'll see.

I think it's entirely possible that the Seahawks win 1, or even 2 of those games. But they also have to win the games against the teams we expect them to beat. So while you're absolutely correct that you can't take the list of teams we probably should lose to and automatically assume losses, the same exercise applies to the games we should win. Ultimately, I think 5-5 over the final 10, to go 8-8 (which is what I predicted) is a pretty likely outcome, give or take a game in either direction.
I agree with all, except the 8-8 part. We are ascending and don't look a thing like the team we saw the first 2 weeks. In the last 4 games, our only loss is a 2 pointer vs the undefeated Rams. 33 total points allowed in the 3 wins. But yes, dropping any of the games we "should" win makes a winning record that much more challenging. I am looking forward to seeing how these guys attack it. It's a fun team for me to root for with fewer loud, entitled personalities and more young & hungry players trying to make a name.

BSUSeahawk

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The interesting thing about bringing up NE: they were the winner in last night's game against the en vogue Chiefs. The Pats ran more times than they passed.

I am not saying there is one way to do it or that one way is better than another way, but you have to have the right people to try to play how the Chiefs and Rams are playing. I don't buy that the Cardinals and Bills are just victims of their own stubbornness. Throwing the ball "more" may give you a better chance to score more points if you have a great QB, but it may not if you have a middle of the road or worse starter. I also don't buy that you can just make an average to below average QB into a much better one simply by being "innovative" or deciding to be "explosive" and throwing it more. Maybe I'm one of those stubborn guys you're talking about, haha.

I'll leave this part of the discussion (which I appreciate, btw) with this: last night in a game against an undefeated opponent that has one of the best offenses in the league, the head coach who many think is the best of all time decided -- with the QB who many think is the GOAT -- to run it more than he threw it.

Yeah, I don't mean to completely disregard talent - you're right about that. It's not like scheme alone makes Tom Brady the greatest of all time, or Brandin Cooks a great receiver (to use the Pats and Rams examples). Those are supremely talented players who are performing even better due to the schemes they play in.

As far as last night's game goes, I mostly chalk that up to game script. New England had a comfortable lead for most of the game, a situation that still makes running the ball appealing. It wasn't until KC caught up later that they went back to the air.

We have very disparate opinions on how good Minny is I guess. I really liked them in pre-season, but the product hasn't really matched up to the hype for me, and then you have the beating they took at home by Buffalo when they were favored by like the biggest margin in a billion years or something like that. They are having a really hard time running the ball. Red flags with that team. If we played them this Sunday, I would bet anything we would be a slim favorite at home. Week 14 is a long way off though, so I guess we'll see.

I agree with all, except the 8-8 part. We are ascending and don't look a thing like the team we saw the first 2 weeks. In the last 4 games, our only loss is a 2 pointer vs the undefeated Rams. 33 total points allowed in the 3 wins. But yes, dropping any of the games we "should" win makes a winning record that much more challenging. I am looking forward to seeing how these guys attack it. It's a fun team for me to root for with fewer loud, entitled personalities and more young & hungry players trying to make a name.

Minnesota has had a weird year (especially the Buffalo game), but they're looking pretty good again. Back to back wins, including beating Philly on the road last week. They ran for 150 yards with their backup yesterday (granted it's Arizona). Their defense may not get Griffin back, which hurts, but I still think they win the NFCN, so yeah, we might just see them differently.

I'll say this - if they get to 10 wins, I severely underestimated this team. Because they'll have to beat a couple really good teams to do it. I was obviously more down on the team than you were, but my prediction had way more to do with the schedule than thinking the team was "bad". This is shaping up to be one of the toughest schedules the Hawks have played in a while.

Reactions: JMR

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I don't mean to completely disregard talent - you're right about that. It's not like scheme alone makes Tom Brady the greatest of all time, or Brandin Cooks a great receiver (to use the Pats and Rams examples). Those are supremely talented players who are performing even better due to the schemes they play in.

As far as last night's game goes, I mostly chalk that up to game script. New England had a comfortable lead for most of the game, a situation that still makes running the ball appealing. It wasn't until KC caught up later that they went back to the air.

Minnesota has had a weird year (especially the Buffalo game), but they're looking pretty good again. Back to back wins, including beating Philly on the road last week. They ran for 150 yards with their backup yesterday (granted it's Arizona). Their defense may not get Griffin back, which hurts, but I still think they win the NFCN, so yeah, we might just see them differently.

I'll say this - if they get to 10 wins, I severely underestimated this team. Because they'll have to beat a couple really good teams to do it. I was obviously more down on the team than you were, but my prediction had way more to do with the schedule than thinking the team was "bad". This is shaping up to be one of the toughest schedules the Hawks have played in a while.
Oh, I still think 10 wins is going to be tough (because we are going to be kicking ourselves for losing both of those first 2 road games against mediocre teams). I guess my bigger point is I think 7 wins is just as unlikely given all the reasons I've mentioned.

I think people (outsiders) are starting to talk about this team a little differently after these last 4 games. Our off-season was roundly panned, and then starting 0-2 confirmed what a lot of them thought (we couldn't overcome the name player losses, OL still bad, etc), but yesterday morning I started to hear guys like Bradshaw (who I know is a clown but still has some football knowledge I would say) talk about this team starting to look like the "old Seahawks." No one is going to mistake it for the 2013 team, but that brand of football is a better description of what this team is doing than what we have seen the last 2 seasons.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think people (outsiders) are starting to talk about this team a little differently after these last 4 games. Our off-season was roundly panned, and then starting 0-2 confirmed what a lot of them thought (we couldn't overcome the name player losses, OL still bad, etc), but yesterday morning I started to hear guys like Bradshaw (who I know is a clown but still has some football knowledge I would say) talk about this team starting to look like the "old Seahawks." No one is going to mistake it for the 2013 team, but that brand of football is a better description of what this team is doing than what we have seen the last 2 seasons.

I was watching the segment from Deon and LT on youtube this morning. The blonde host: 'Should we be taking Seattle seriously?' LT: 'No.'

Raised eyebrows.

LT: 'Nope.'

They then went to talk about the Raiders being horrible for 5 minutes.

Heh.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was watching the segment from Deon and LT on youtube this morning. The blonde host: 'Should we be taking Seattle seriously?' LT: 'No.'

Raised eyebrows.

Heh.

Sometimes better to fly under the radar

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Raised eyebrows.

Heh.
Yeah, I have caught parts of that show from time to time. It's pretty much audio clickbait with LT, Deion, and -gulp- Shannon Sharpe blathering on and on about crap.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh sure, it just bothers me when guys who SHOULD have a deeper knowledge, don't.

National media is slanted to one side and don't take the time to do the in depth research like it once was back in the day.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This next stretch of games is going to be really fun in terms of seeing how our young team responds to facing a good string of QBs -- Stafford, Rivers, Goff/Rams, Rodgers, Newton. Holding serve at home and getting 1 on the road would be huge.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the way we are heading. It will take another solid draft or 2 to create a tougher version of us. This year should be a great stepping stone for us. Bigger things lie ahead.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the way we are heading. It will take another solid draft or 2 to create a tougher version of us. This year should be a great stepping stone for us. Bigger things lie ahead.
I think we have bounced back pretty well already on the toughness thing. A big part of that is the run game, which we simply couldn't do at all the last 2 seasons. The OL is the story of the season so far I think with the way they are taking control and winning in the trenches. Even Ifedi hasn't played horribly since around week 2.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i am just blown away at the play of the Hawks Oline after the first two week. It feels great but also pisses me off to no end. Many of us have been calling for Cables head for 3+ years. Hell i NEVER liked the signing from DAY ONE! He got the job because he had been a HC and "was" ( key word WAS not IS ) one of the better ZONE blocking coaches out there. ( there was like 3 left in the NFL when they Hired Cable lol )

Reed has been HUGE but i think we all knew he had the DT talent to be a star he just had to STAY ON THE FIELD! Still i am Meh with our WR's as a whole. The Running game has helped them out by sucking up the middle allowing some long plays though, thats always nice. I just feel that group needs a shot in the arm from some stud? Maybe Hawks pick up some extra Picks this coming Draft and spends a 2nd or 3rd on some 6 foot 1+ 210+ 4.4-4.5 guy with hops and hands lol. Am i asking for to much? lol

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't feel like early picks on WRs is all that good of an investment. They typically take 3 seasons or so to mature, and by then you get like 1 or maybe 2 years out of them before they get a big contract. I also don't think they drive team success all that much -- certainly not like many other positions. No thanks on early WR picks.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, we toppled the first of the upcoming string of good QBs, and now I think 10 wins is as strongly in play as ever.

6 of the final 9 at home. Even a split in these next 4 vs Chargers, Rams, Packers, Panthers would be huge. I feel good about both of the home games in that stretch.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
6 of the final 9 at home. Even a split in these next 4 vs Chargers, Rams, Packers, Panthers would be huge. I feel good about both of the home games in that stretch.
I still think we can end up with a split in those 4 games. I'll be shocked and very disappointed if we don't convincingly handle GB on Thurs night at home (road teams are 2-8 this year on TNF), and Carolina is capable of laying a turd at any time. If we play against the Panthers as we did yesterday vs the Rams, we stand a good chance.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think we can end up with a split in those 4 games. I'll be shocked and very disappointed if we don't convincingly handle GB on Thurs night at home (road teams are 2-8 this year on TNF), and Carolina is capable of laying a turd at any time. If we play against the Panthers as we did yesterday vs the Rams, we stand a good chance.

Yeah, i'll be disappointed as well if we don't beat the Packers... GB is not a good team this year and they've shown no signs of improvement, unlike the Seahawks... 27-20, Seahawks...

We'll also have 10 days to be ready for Caroline on the road... Those extra few days will definitely help...

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, i'll be disappointed as well if we don't beat the Packers... GB is not a good team this year and they've shown no signs of improvement, unlike the Seahawks... 27-20, Seahawks...

We'll also have 10 days to be ready for Caroline on the road... Those extra few days will definitely help...
I firmly believe we looked big picture by holding Fluker & Carson out of the game yesterday. With a short week, you probably have to pick 1 game or the other to play them. Not that we conceded the game yesterday or anything, but it's much more beneficial to be GB than the Rams. Then as you say, we get a mini-bye after the GB game to load up for another playoff implication matchup.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I firmly believe we looked big picture by holding Fluker & Carson out of the game yesterday. With a short week, you probably have to pick 1 game or the other to play them. Not that we conceded the game yesterday or anything, but it's much more beneficial to be GB than the Rams. Then as you say, we get a mini-bye after the GB game to load up for another playoff implication matchup.

Agreed... We're not catching the Rams but a win vs GB would pretty much knock out a team that could be threatening for a WC spot... We'd also hold the tie-breaker over them... Beating Carolina would put us right into the WC conversation... The Panthers last 3 games of the season are against (2) NO's and the Falcons...