• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Next team to win their first MNC?

foster4prez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who will be the first school to win their first college football national title and why?

Top contenders:

Arizona
Oregon
Utah
Washington State
Texas Tech
Kansas State
West Virginia
Virginia Tech
Boston College
NC State
Oklahoma State
South Carolina
Wisconsin
Cincinnati

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who will be the first school to win their first college football national title and why?

Top contenders:

Arizona
Oregon
Utah
Washington State
Texas Tech
Kansas State
West Virginia
Virginia Tech
Boston College
NC State
Oklahoma State
South Carolina
Wisconsin
Cincinnati
Arizona is the biggest NO on this list. They just had a 1-11 season in the weakest P5 Conf in the country this year. The PAC only got 6 teams qualified for bowl games and went 0-5 with one canceled game. Zona's more of a bb school. They had what, one good year in cfb? Does Arizona even care about their fb team? If they do, then it's a case of severe incompetence. Not saying they can't right the ship, but they won't do it so well as to win a Natty before everyone of those other teams listed.

Boston College would have been my biggest NO on this list if Zona hadn't of had such a horrible season. And it's not like Zona was good last year or something, their one win this year broke the record, at the time, longest losing streak in the FBS. But otherwise BC is one of those schools you almost have to double check to see if they even have a cfb program or not. LOL They are awesome in hockey and occasionally decent in cbb, otherwise they've never even come close to winning a title in cfb.

Virginia Tech/Kansas St are my next two NOs. Both have shown signs of being competitive in the past, but VT got lucky with one amazing superman of a QB, and without that one player have rarely been more than sort of competitive. Does VT have the money or the facilities or the fan base to snag the right coach to accomplish such a thing? Maybe they do, but I wouldn't bet on it happening anytime soon, and KSU's biggest asset is their being the little brother school to a bb school. Now that Oklahoma and Texas are leaving the conf, their could be argued to be a vacuum that needs to be filled, but that will more likely be filled by Cincy or one of the other AAC teams joining the league. And of the originals, I'd give Oklahoma St an edge. Now I'm not a big Big 12 fan, so maybe KSU's brought in a top notch coach and things are on the upward path? It's still frigging Kansas St. KU's struggling recently in cbb, Nebraska's struggling in cfb, and even Oklahoma, the king of that region most recently struggled to even get into the cfp, much less win it.

Texas Tech/NCSU are not much better than VT/KSU, cept just a small step up, because TT is in Texas and has shown glimmers and NCSU could get lucky and take advantage of Clemson being down. But honestly, how long does anyone see Clemson being down? Same coach, same top recruiting classes. Once it adapts to the NFL robbing it of it's best stars, like Bama has, it should rise again to the top, but both WF and Pitt seem to be thinking the same thing. Btw, was didn't WF make your list? Did they win a title in 1918 or something that I am not aware of? lol

West Virginia could fit in this list just after BC or a couple better as they're not a horrible fb program. They've shown promise, but have yet to win a Big 12 Conf title much less win a Natl Title, and it's friggin West Virginia, it's a backwards hillbilly state to a degree and no matter how prominent/influential Joe Manchin becomes, nothing will change the fact that WVU is not destined for great things. Much better chance that they'll win a Natty in cbb. They are a school the SEC didn't want, nor the ACC, the Big 12 only took them out of desperation.

Ok, that's half the list. Will post the top half soon.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Top contenders:

Arizona
Oregon
Utah
Washington State
Texas Tech
Kansas State
West Virginia
Virginia Tech
Boston College
NC State
Oklahoma State
South Carolina
Wisconsin
Cincinnati
Washington State probably should have been on my earlier list and WVU right here. WSU has only had small glimpses of success and usually played 2nd fiddle to big brother UDub, or one of many other far superior cfb programs in the PAC. USC, UCLA, Oregon, Utah and even Stanford. Just a few years ago I'd have listed Oregon St, Colorado and even Arizona above them in regards to potential, but they had one great season while others have struggled, something Oregon only half heartedly took advantage of with far more resources/potential.

Cincinnati has momentum in their favor, and if they can somehow keep their coach, they'd move up on this list especially now that they'll be moving into the Big 12 where they could take advantage and be a perennial Top Ten type program. But as the game vs Bama exposed, and recruiting rankings the past 5-6 years would have predicted, the talent difference was huge and Cincy's got more building to do. How long will their coach stick around? My guess is 1-3 years, enough time to see how they adapt and can compete in the Big 12.

Wisconsin could be listed higher if it wasn't for the fact that the most of their division is catching up to them. Iowa's still got their long time coach and so will always be a contender while he's there. Purdue and Minnesota both have new coaches who seem to have them positioning themselves as additional contenders. Nebraska's got the same thing, that new coach with tons of potential, improved recruiting rankings, but they've just made it a habit to come up just short no matter who they are playing, it's bizarre actually. And Wisco's coach may have succeeded early on with his predecessor's players and this season's early struggles and their losing to their perennial bitch the Goofers may be exposing that he'll not have the same success his previous two predecessors had there? And regardless, none of the B1G West teams will beat the B1G East Champ anytime soon. Maybe in 4-5 years it could start happening without being a one time fluke kind of thing, but not before that. OSU/Mich(sometimes MSU/PSU, too) is just too big a dragon to slay at this time.

Oklahoma State could be lower, as even without Oklahoma in the same conference going forward, they are still OU's little brother, but Okey St could be the team that best takes advantage of the vacuum left by UT/OU's exit, and in the short term anything could happen, some superstar player could rise up and propel them into the cfp and then who knows?

Oregon/Utah seem to both have advantages that put them above all the rest so far, but not sure which I'd rate as having the best potential. I'd normally list Oregon above Utah, as Big time dirty money like Uncle Phil gives Oregon can buy a lot. But Utah so owned Oregon this season, beating them easily in both contests, and then almost beat an Ohio St team that improved greatly from earlier in the season, so in the short term I have to give Utah credit. But why did Oregon falter as they did? I struggle to believe that they will never win the PAC again, and the PAC has the ability to produce great teams, even if it hasn't done so recently. I wouldn't bet on either of these two being one of those great teams, but they are more likely to be one than any of the other teams on this list, except...

South Carolina. As much as I hate to say it, any SEC team with the right coach, has the ability to produce a Natl Title winning team. And I've heard that S Carolina's coach is arguably a good enough coach to pull it off.

This is how I rank them right now. I honestly think none of these programs has a chance in hell, cept two, Oregon if Uncle Phil doesn't kick the bucket for awhile and the only school with a real chance being Cincy, but only if they keep their current coach for a very long time and/or if their upward progress garners them the ability to hire an even better replacement if Fickel leaves, then their momentum could lead to something miraculous happening. I listed them where I did because I don't see their coach sticking around much longer. They have always been a stepping stone program, and are verging on changing this but will this change happen with Fickel or not until a few years in the Big 12?

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Top contenders:

Arizona
Oregon
Utah
Washington State
Texas Tech
Kansas State
West Virginia
Virginia Tech
Boston College
NC State
Oklahoma State
South Carolina
Wisconsin
Cincinnati
I am sorely tempted to say, "none of the above." The closest out of this group would have to be Oklahoma St. & Cincinnati, with Utah & Oregon WAAAAYYYY down the line.