• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: New Orleans Saints @ Seattle Seahawks

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Positives

CLink - There has been so much chatter about how the crowd doesn't matter, and that the home field advantage isn't really that much of an advantage, One TH actually said that the advantage is now New Orleans' because they've now been there before, tell SF how that is supposed to work.

Turnovers - The Seahawks are #1 in the NFL in takeaways, including 15 games with at least 1 and 12 with 2 or more, while the Saints are ranked 29th in takeaways and have only 4 over their last 10 games. Seattle also has a +20 TO dif. while NO was even. With the weather looking to be pretty nasty, turnovers could come more often than the game earlier this season, which had 1.

Percy Harvin - No matter how healthy he really is, he's a weapon that has to be accounted for. The last time the two teams met, NO actually ran defenses with 9 in the box on several occasions and were almost always in sets with 8 in the box. Putting a weapon that should be feared outside will either force Ryan to soften the running lanes for Lynch or risk being burned again like he was several times last time.

Injuries - The Saints have been very unlucky when it comes to injuries, including 4 guys who were starters on defense (and one free agent that could've been a starter but was IRed before the season). Their top CB and their SS are both gone, as is their best run defender. Seattle has only one significant injury, and Malcolm Smith has been playing pretty well in Wright's absence.

Bobby Wagner - Wagner has been unreal the last few games. He has once again emerged as the best LB on the team (after a horrible showing the few games after his injury) and he has been all over the field. He's gonna be a huge part of the game plan that will shut down the Saints running game. The big advantage the Hawks D has against high power offenses is the speed and skill of their LBs.

Negatives

Drew Brees - As good as Brees has been in the regular season throughout his career, he's been even better in the playoffs with a career 101.9 qb rating. I don't see him getting his playoff average of 323 yards passing, but the defense is gonna have to force him into mistakes (even in his losses, he's got a 10-4 TD/INT ratio).

13-12 - In the previous 25 times that a playoff game was between teams that met in the regular season where one team beat the other by 27 or more, the team that won the blowout only won 13 of those meetings.

Stalled - Seattle's offense has been struggling since their 34-7 drubbing of New Orleans. Bevell has been calling a much more conservative game plan since then, possibly to make it more difficult for playoff teams to know what Seattle will actually come out with in the playoffs. Whether that's true or not, the offense needs to click more than they have been, you just can't get 4 turnovers at home and still lose (like they did against Arizona).

Sproles & Graham - Last game, the Hawks held Sproles and Graham pretty much in check (3-11; 10-72-1), and they will need to do that again this time. Brees loves throwing to his TEs and RBs, and if they weather is bad enough, it could make it difficult to throw the ball downfield.

Penalties - These have been a huge issues during Carroll's entire tenure, and it's been harped on over and over. The Seahawks need to clean them up and not make it easier for the Saints to keep the game competitive.

Overview

This game is it. There isn't anything after this, and no matter how badly the Hawks won the last matchup, it's this one that matters. If they don't win this, they get to watch the rest of the season from the tvs. The talking heads, though a majority still pick Seattle, seem to think that the Seahawks peeked during that last matchup, and if they want to play for a Super Bowl they are going to have to prove them wrong. After that last New Orleans game, I claimed that I feared no one with this team, and I still don't. They have to leave it all on the field.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If wind is a factor I think that takes away from the down field shots . Look for more quick passes to guys like sproles. It's important to respect Drew Bress but I think the Saints best chance to win is to establish a running game like they did last week. Important for Bobby Wagner to continue to play like he did in the second half.
Also there left tackle is starting just his 4th career game. Its important to take advantage of that. Bring pressure from there. Need Chris Clemons to show up, havent called his name near enough this year.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As always good stuff Blstoker! I thought I had woken up early at 7 damn you were up at 6!

I know some of us have concerns about the offense and I'm trying to be cautiously optimistic about it with Percy returning. But our defense...fellas our defense has been playing out of their mind.

For the year we are already #1 giving up only 14 ppg but ever since the bye week in our final 5 weeks we have given up only 10.4 ppg. Now that's really good but that's even more impressive considering how bad our offense has been in the final 4 weeks.

Here's what I mean

In games where our offense is able to move the ball some, eat up some clock, sustain some long drives...like for example the Falcons game. We only allow the opposing team about 10 drives. In our final 4 games...

Against the Rams - 12 drives
Against the Cards - 15 drives
Against the Giants - 14 drives
Against the Niners - 12 drives

Our offense being inept has given opposing teams 2-5 more drives a game to score on our defense and we are STILL only allowing 10.4 ppg

If our offense had moved the ball like it usually does against the Cards...we only give up 3 points to them rather than 17 (their fg and touchdown came in their 13th and 14th drive)

I know this is Drew Brees coming in and any time you have a quarterback like that with the kind of weapons around him...you have a puncher's chance. But fellas...I don't see any opposing offense putting up more than 13-17 pts on us. If our offense can just sustain some drives and put up just 20 pts...our defense will bring home the W

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is a stat I came across this week that concerns me the most.

Saints opponents are 6/34 on 3rd down last 3 games (Car, TB, PHI).
Seahawks offense is 9/39 on 3rd down last 3 games.

This goes right along with the drive stat that Logically listed above. Bevell needs to be creative in his 3rd down calls. Needs remember he can run on 3rd and 3's to and not just go empty back which seems to be what we do on most 3rd downs.

TheDman875

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here we go!

Attachments

• sea1.jpg
    sea1.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 120

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not a Seahawks fan so I can say this without fear of a jinx but will be careful and use the nojinx tag.

/nojinx

The Saints are going to get devastated today. The 4th quarter is going to be garbage time.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its all good. I personally dont believe in jinxing. I expect both teams to be prepared. I'll take the part of Captain Obvious and say whatever team executes their game plan better will win. Hoping its the Hawks. Don't care if its 3-0, just win and advance.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm ready for the game to start already

Last edited by a moderator:

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As always good stuff Blstoker! I thought I had woken up early at 7 damn you were up at 6!

Yeah, I took an illadvised nap from 4pm to 7pm last night, and then was up all night (went to bed shortly after 6). Was feeling tired, so decided to put this together before going to bed. Now, it's all good. Got me 2 hours of sleep, I be ready for this game.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If wind is a factor I think that takes away from the down field shots . Look for more quick passes to guys like sproles. It's important to respect Drew Bress but I think the Saints best chance to win is to establish a running game like they did last week. Important for Bobby Wagner to continue to play like he did in the second half.
Also there left tackle is starting just his 4th career game. Its important to take advantage of that. Bring pressure from there. Need Chris Clemons to show up, havent called his name near enough this year.

Yeah, I gave the weather some mention within the write up, but didn't give it it's own heading becuase it affects both teams. I still think that it's Brees, cause if he has to throw the ball short and rely on his run game then that means he's one dimentional and the Hawks crush it. But, if he forces the ball through the wind, it could be something the Seahawks can take advantage of, so he'll have to be even better than he normally is.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blstoker, boogie, and Dman I know you guys don't usually participate in vcash betting but for this game join all of us Hawk fans in going all in on the Seahawks!

http://www.sportshoopla.com/forums/[email protected]

All of us need to go all in. I'd like to see 100,000 on the Seahawks!

I will bet vHouse on Seahawks this weekend.

I will join the "All IN" club.

http://www.sportshoopla.com/forums/seattle-seahawks/133312-seattle-opening-line-7-5-favorites.html

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another thing with the wind. Obviously it makes field goals alot tougher, making our red zone offense that much more important. Cant be settling for 3 too much today

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do you do the Vcash betting? I've never done it and this seems like the game to do it since everyone is going all in. Not a guaranteed Hawk win but it's lose or go home now so you can have my money.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing feels better than game day.

Correction: nothing feels better than a playoffs game day!!

GO HAWKS!!!:yahoo:

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do you do the Vcash betting? I've never done it and this seems like the game to do it since everyone is going all in. Not a guaranteed Hawk win but it's lose or go home now so you can have my money.

Here's a link to where to can make you bet. Just put a dollar amount next to the team your betting on ( don't make a mistake and put it on the wrong team, because once your bet is in, you can not change it)
Then click on the bet now button at the bottom.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There is. Vbookie link next to your user cp at the top left corner. You then browse the games you wanna bet

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's a link to where to can make you bet. Just put a dollar amount next to the team your betting on ( don't make a mistake and put it on the wrong team, because once your bet is in, you can not change it)
Then click on the bet now button at the bottom.

I think I'm missing something Harold. I don't see the link.