• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

New Mexico Bowl

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's Decenber 17th but who knows... We will be facing New Mexico.

Cats 53 Lobos 35

azchamps

Hoopla Cash
$ 84.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's the 19th but whatever. I'm glad we got a bowl game to go to, no matter the bowl. Barring picking up more injuries.....we can use all the extra practice and experience we can get. JMHO

GO CATS! BEAT the Lobos!

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, totally agree. I am hoping Rich Rod prepares them this time. Telling them New Mexico sucks and not to sweat it too much would probably be dumb, not that he'd do something like that (see: Boise State last year).

I assume Anu will be playing? If so, I will go Cats 50, New Mexico 48 (I know nothing about New Mexico, but I do know if they have 11 human beings lining up on offense, they can put up over 40 on the Cats D)

azchamps

Hoopla Cash
$ 84.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(I know nothing about New Mexico, but I do know if they have 11 human beings lining up on offense, they can put up over 40 on the Cats D)

I have to laugh because it is so close to being true. :L
You should get a winner award for that one.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, totally agree. I am hoping Rich Rod prepares them this time. Telling them New Mexico sucks and not to sweat it too much would probably be dumb, not that he'd do something like that (see: Boise State last year).

I assume Anu will be playing? If so, I will go Cats 50, New Mexico 48 (I know nothing about New Mexico, but I do know if they have 11 human beings lining up on offense, they can put up over 40 on the Cats D)
Yeah Solomon should be ready to go. Even Scooby is going to play. With a pretty much healthy roster I expect to win pretty easily. I think we're 11.5 favorites right now.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is cool, and I'm happy we're bowling, but this is about the most "eh" I've ever been for an AZ bowl.

We were essentially awarded a bowl to go play a MWC team at their place, right next door. And it's a chance to have a winning record.

That's about it.

Even getting Anu and Scoob back are pretty insignificant to me. I'm glad they are healthy, but I just can't find a reason to care at all about this game. But if we lose, it's bad. I'd rather have not been in it.

Hahaha, sorry to be all negative, but these lowest bowls (even if AZ is in it) are just a waste of time to me; nothing more than $.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Mountain West teams playing each other in a bowl in Tucson has to be the worst thing to ever happen to the Old Pueblo. What did they do to deserve THAT bowl game?!?!

Anyone have thoughts on what really happened with Rich Rod and South Carolina? There's obviously more to the story.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Mountain West teams playing each other in a bowl in Tucson has to be the worst thing to ever happen to the Old Pueblo. What did they do to deserve THAT bowl game?!?!

Anyone have thoughts on what really happened with Rich Rod and South Carolina? There's obviously more to the story.
I truly believe Rodriguez wants to put his name on this program. Many would consider South Carolina as a better job. He is making more than what South Carolina just gave Muschamp, their new coach,and Rich Rod has established some consistent recruiting grounds out here. I think any coach who takes a job in the SEC is just asking for it. The smart move was to stay in Tucson.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rich Rod can have this job for the rest of his life if he wants it. If he took the SEC job he may be searching again in a few years. Unrealistic expectations in those parts.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I truly believe Rodriguez wants to put his name on this program. Many would consider South Carolina as a better job. He is making more than what South Carolina just gave Muschamp, their new coach,and Rich Rod has established some consistent recruiting grounds out here. I think any coach who takes a job in the SEC is just asking for it. The smart move was to stay in Tucson.

And truthfully, that kicker we have waiting for him in a few years as a retainer, doesn't hurt either.

I do think it mostly has to do with him being here and seeing some potential. Recruiting is a challenge but the weather is nice, I think he has a good relationships with Byrne, good facilities, and he is in the Pac. And, he has a few mil waiting for him.

If the deal isn't particularly sweet, I'd stay too.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And truthfully, that kicker we have waiting for him in a few years as a retainer, doesn't hurt either.

I do think it mostly has to do with him being here and seeing some potential. Recruiting is a challenge but the weather is nice, I think he has a good relationships with Byrne, good facilities, and he is in the Pac. And, he has a few mil waiting for him.

If the deal isn't particularly sweet, I'd stay too.

What is he going to do about the Defensive side of the ball? They can't continue to be this awful. Do they not have the players? Certainly seems the talent is there to be a lot better than they are (not elite, but not THIS terrible). If that's the case...some coaching changes may be in order.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is he going to do about the Defensive side of the ball? They can't continue to be this awful. Do they not have the players? Certainly seems the talent is there to be a lot better than they are (not elite, but not THIS terrible). If that's the case...some coaching changes may be in order.

I think it's a couple things. One huge problem is that we are surrounded by some top recruiting schools. It's stiff competition with them, their coaches, their histories, and their money. We almost never get 5-star recruits, and not even a lot of 4-star recruits.

Another problem is that RR is so offensively minded that not a lot of defensive recruits give us a look. Our 4-star recruits are almost always offensive players. RR only has 2 4-star completely defensive recruits, while at AZ.

The third problem is that RR is owning this. He always has one of the best offenses in the country, but he essentially refuses to switch his focus to bring up the defense. Oregon is the only ranked team that is able to pull off having a stellar offense and a horrible defense. We pulled it off last year, but the main point is that it's not sustainable. That can't be our model for success. He needs to see that. We can't count on our offense to go out and score 50 points every game to win. It would be the same thing as putting the pressure on a defense to hold every team to a shutout, because the offense can't even muster a FG from game to game.

The historical slap in the face, here in Tucson, is how defensive-minded our past identity has been (Desert Swarm), and how it is currently so disregarded. We used to get the top defensive recruits specifically because we had the reputation for being so good on that side of the ball. Now, we really don't have a tradition of either anymore. RR brings a rep for offense, but that isn't even as powerful as it needs to be to compete with USC, Oregon, Stanford, UCLA, and even ASU for these kids. And that's just in the west.

I think last year RR thought that he had pulled it off, and that he could be successful like that. This year he found out that it can backfire when the key piece of his defense goes down and he can't stop anyone. Then the point was really driven home with key offensive injuries, and he can't outscore anyone. Especially in the Pac, where 8 teams are in the top 30 in offense; they'll hang 50+ on a bad defense, and he can't expect to just outscore that many top offensive teams per year. We averaged 35ppg against USC, WSU, UCLA, and ASU. All losses.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We should fire the defensive coordinator but he's been with Rich Rod for years now so that won't happen.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Game thread started over in the public forums . Let's crush the Lobos on their home turf!

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was hoping for a more impressive victory. Watching what Scooby did this game makes me want to see what he would have done all season. Good luck to him at the next level. I have a lot of optimism for next years squad. Finally a normal bye week with some established players.

Bear Down

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great win! At this point in this season, I can't get picky about a win. You knew they were going to give up some sad number of points and they did. They just put up more. It's not a winning philosophy Rich Rod.

Wish Scooby was staying, but I understand. Draft stock would probably be much higher if he waited another year and (possible big if) played an entire year in Tucson healthy.

Utah with a nice win as well. PAC 12 representing so far...

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great win! At this point in this season, I can't get picky about a win. You knew they were going to give up some sad number of points and they did. They just put up more. It's not a winning philosophy Rich Rod.

Wish Scooby was staying, but I understand. Draft stock would probably be much higher if he waited another year and (possible big if) played an entire year in Tucson healthy.

Utah with a nice win as well. PAC 12 representing so far...

He's rated as the number 2 ILB for draft without playing this year. I doubt his stock would go up if he returned. He'd be risking a lot more at that point. Im happy for him; we need high level reps in the draft.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's rated as the number 2 ILB for draft without playing this year. I doubt his stock would go up if he returned. He'd be risking a lot more at that point. Im happy for him; we need high level reps in the draft.

True, esp on the defensive side.