• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

New Mexico Bowl

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, the Cougars will get their first bowl trip in a decade. So, what are everyone's thoughts about this turn of events (personally, I didn't expect the season to go this well)? What are our chances against Colorado State? And, does this bowl bid change the negative outlook on Leach?

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cougars have some things going for them for this game. One is that Colorado State doesn't have a great pass defense, which could be a solid for the Cougs. Unfortunately, CSU runs the ball a lot, and the Cougs have a problem stopping the run consistently.

Here are my keys to the game.

Connor Halliday - The QB is extremely important in this offense, and how he goes, so goes the offense. In 6 games this year, Halliday threw 2 or more INTs. He literally threw the Cougars out of 4 games this season (Auburn, Oregon State, Oregon and Washington). He led the country in attempts and interceptions. If he plays clean, this game swings way into the Cougars favor.

Kapri Bibbs - He has burst onto the scene in his sophomore season with 1572 yards (6.2ypc) and 28 touchdowns. In six games this season the Cougars allowed 200 yards rushing (a seventh with 195 against Arizona) and Bibbs has done it 3 times himself. If the Cougars want to win the game, they are gonna need to keep this young man under control, which is gonna be hard for this defense.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure you'd much rather hear answers from cougs, but I thought they could reach a bowl this year. I figured WSU would end around 6-6 and would reach a bowl. Super happy to see you guys reach one for the first time in 10 years. You have to like your chances in this bowl as the offense has been building all year and the defense has had it's lapses, but is more complete than it has been in recent years.

As for the overall disdain many/most cougs have for Leach it sure feels a bit like we felt for Neuheisel when he coached us. We didn't care for his baggage he brought and some of the things he did while here, but he was a whole lot easier to accept after he won us a Rose Bowl.

I have said it since he went there, but I fully expect Leach to take you guys back to being dangerous and wouldn't be surprised at all to see you playing for the conference championship at some point under him. Realistically I think it will still be a few more years down the road. He needs his kind of kids in there to really see that offense shine and not with a first year starting QB either. If he can develop that defense to be what it was under Price you are going to have a really solid team.

Congrats on a solid year cougar nation. Now go kick some ass in your bowl and create something to build off of.

:suds:

upyourwazzu420

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is really going down? lol its time for the cougs to make a statement on national tv again... we should be ready to go after that apple cup let down

upyourwazzu420

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
also leach is a G... i thought it would take three years to make a bowl but ill take it at 6 and 6 against a mountain west team...

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cougars have some things going for them for this game. One is that Colorado State doesn't have a great pass defense, which could be a solid for the Cougs. Unfortunately, CSU runs the ball a lot, and the Cougs have a problem stopping the run consistently.

Here are my keys to the game.

Connor Halliday - The QB is extremely important in this offense, and how he goes, so goes the offense. In 6 games this year, Halliday threw 2 or more INTs. He literally threw the Cougars out of 4 games this season (Auburn, Oregon State, Oregon and Washington). He led the country in attempts and interceptions. If he plays clean, this game swings way into the Cougars favor.

Kapri Bibbs - He has burst onto the scene in his sophomore season with 1572 yards (6.2ypc) and 28 touchdowns. In six games this season the Cougars allowed 200 yards rushing (a seventh with 195 against Arizona) and Bibbs has done it 3 times himself. If the Cougars want to win the game, they are gonna need to keep this young man under control, which is gonna be hard for this defense.

Pardon me for dropping into your thread, but with CSU being a local team for me (and where much of my money goes with my kid attending) I thought I'd give you some insight.

Shaquil Barrett is another problem. He's the MWC defensive player of the year and is pretty much a beast. He's the MWC's all time leader in tackles for loss and a great kick blocker too.

CSU has put up a ton of points and have lost some close games this year. They seem to fold in close games. Grayson has played well at QB at times. CSU stayed with Bama this year when they played in Tuscaloosa (one score game) until the 4th quarter.

I've seen some games this year that should have been won by CSU. If they bring their A game, they are a handfull.

Good luck

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pardon me for dropping into your thread, but with CSU being a local team for me (and where much of my money goes with my kid attending) I thought I'd give you some insight.

Shaquil Barrett is another problem. He's the MWC defensive player of the year and is pretty much a beast. He's the MWC's all time leader in tackles for loss and a great kick blocker too.

CSU has put up a ton of points and have lost some close games this year. They seem to fold in close games. Grayson has played well at QB at times. CSU stayed with Bama this year when they played in Tuscaloosa (one score game) until the 4th quarter.

I've seen some games this year that should have been won by CSU. If they bring their A game, they are a handfull.

Good luck

No, feel free to drop in. One thing about college football, it's hard to follow all 120+ schools, so getting insight from someone else about another team is always nice.

Sounds like CSU's season was similar to the Cougars. Played well in some games that were loses and could have been wins and seem to crumble in close games.

Not knowing CSU very well, I didn't want to get too indepth about the, and since I was only gonna use the obvious one from their offense, I decided to do the same with the Cougars. Now, on the Cougar defense, the big guy (IMO) to worry about is Deone Buchannon. Hard hitting safety who plays all over the field. He plays very aggressive, which at times takes him out of position, but he brings a lot of experience and is a play maker. He led the Pac-12 in tackles this season.

I expect it to be a good game, and am looking forward to it.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
also leach is a G... i thought it would take three years to make a bowl but ill take it at 6 and 6 against a mountain west team...

I'm not going to G status just yet. I thought the Cougs had a decent shot at having a 6-6 record last year, but Leach didn't do a good job with the players he had. He's done a better job this season (and it can't be said that it is because they are now his guys since most of the guys playing are upperclassmen this season). I look forward to see how he does in the future, but his first season left a bad taste in my mouth, and one 6-6 (possibly 7-6 if they win) season isn't gonna wash that away.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good luck cougs. Make the most of this chance. Go get you some.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good luck Cougs. Would like to see ya get this win. Good for PACNW football. Leach is making great progress with the program.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it me, or has Brock Huard actually cheered on the Rams once or twice?

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it me, or has Brock Huard actually cheered on the Rams once or twice?

Brock is not one of their better color guys. Love him as a former Husky, but he is average at best as an announcer. He does tend to root on both sides at times, even against his Huskies so I wouldn't read anything into it.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brock is not one of their better color guys. Love him as a former Husky, but he is average at best as an announcer. He does tend to root on both sides at times, even against his Huskies so I wouldn't read anything into it.

I just thought it ironic that a former husky was doing the cougars bowl game, and then he says "and they score a touchdown! Rams style!" Just caught me off guard.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish ESPN would show the penalties after the play, I really don't need to hear them talk about unrelated crap while showing players on the bench drinking water.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I missed the early pick, but notwithstanding, Halliday is playing very well today.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, I shut it off before the last field goal and went to my inlaws to change the oil in my car. That's how bad it was, I'd rather work on my car than watch the end.