• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

New coach, perhaps?

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kings pushing hard to secure a deal with former Grizzlies coach Dave Joerger

Kings pushing hard to secure a deal with former Grizzlies coach Dave Joerger

The Vertical’s Adrian Wojnarowski reported earlier this morning that the Memphis Grizzlies have fired Head Coach Dave Joerger, and that the Sacramento Kings are very interested.

It is unlikely that Joerger, 42, will be out of work for long. The Sacramento Kings have made him their No. 1 candidate and are planning to move quickly to secure a deal with him, league sources said. The Grizzlies sidestepped what could’ve been a lengthy negotiation with Sacramento about what would’ve turned out to be a conditional second-round pick as compensation for hiring Joerger, league sources said.

Needless to say, I think Joerger would be a great hire for the Kings. I don’t want to understate how much of a gift this is, particularly when you consider the pool of candidates they’ve been interviewing thus far.

ESPN’s Zach Lowe followed Woj’s report up by noting that there is ‘mutual interest’ between the Kings and Joerger. I would urge the Kings to close on this deal as soon as humanly possible if that ‘mutual interest’ note is correct. The Kings just lost McHale because he wasn’t interested, and a lot of the other top coaching free agents weren’t, either – this opportunity sort of dropped in the Kings’ lap, and I’d hate to see them lose out.

CBS’ Ken Berger also reported that Joerger is receiving interest from both the Pacers and Rockets, so don’t get too excited just yet.

Woj would later report that there was 'significant momentum' on Joerger-to-the-Kings, and that Sacramento has an opportunity to get a deal done, but this story is still developing, and moving very fast.

megalodon30

Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Done deal. Dave Joerger new Kings head coach.

Joe The Jet

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joerger's looks like he has the credentials to be a good coach, but can he get thru to DC? I'd like to see the Kings go in a different direction and trade DC for a good building block player and a high draft pick.

megalodon30

Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joerger's looks like he has the credentials to be a good coach, but can he get thru to DC? I'd like to see the Kings go in a different direction and trade DC for a good building block player and a high draft pick.

Well, hope he does get along with Boogie. He's a dang good player. But if he doesn't, I agree. Ship him off and let Joerger build the team best he can w/out the headache that Cousins can, and too often has, become.

megalodon30

Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coach Joerger Talks Upcoming Season

Just over two weeks since his hiring, Kings head coach Dave Joerger joined Yahoo! Sports’ Vertical Podcast with Chris Mannix to discuss his future in Sactown.

“I knew right away,” said Joerger on the swiftness in which he accepted the position. “All the passion of Sacramento – the fans, the community everywhere I went…everybody was looking forward to the future.”

Kings All-Star center DeMarcus Cousins has his eyes set on the squad’s future as well, flying in to town to meet with the newly appointed coach on the day of his press conference.

“We were able to spend some time together and that’s a great way to start the relationship,” shared the team's head coach. “I’m going to push him -- I want him to be great and he wants to be great…Certainly, he wants to win.”

From Kings.com: Coach Joerger Talks Upcoming Season