• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Never too Early to Talk Draft

elguapo

I cannot think of anything clever to put here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,056.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He looked good early in the year but the last few games have not been good. He will be a project that could pay off big if you are a gambler. We need DTs and LBs. QB can wait.
Thats why I am in the lose now mode. If we and Rams lose enough and we can get Jalen Carter and LB Simpson from Clemson and an early 2nd rd CB or edge I think it pays off much more for us than a QB right now. Stop gap with a list of FA QBs this yr and grab a late 2nd or 3rd rounder project QB

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats why I am in the lose now mode. If we and Rams lose enough and we can get Jalen Carter and LB Simpson from Clemson and an early 2nd rd CB or edge I think it pays off much more for us than a QB right now. Stop gap with a list of FA QBs this yr and grab a late 2nd or 3rd rounder project QB
I don't think we will see Holmes use a first on a non pass rushing LB.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He looked good early in the year but the last few games have not been good. He will be a project that could pay off big if you are a gambler. We need DTs and LBs. QB can wait.

Here's the thing. If we start turning things around next season like the brass anticipates, our draft position will begin to fall after this one. I do not see us passing on a stud QB four times in the first two rounds if one they like is there.

Last edited:

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was a Romeo siting at practice this week so not sure we go edge that early. I guess we will get a chance to see if he has lost it or not.
Perhaps not, but Lions lack a lot of pass rush. Him with Kancey gives a few extra options on the line to get at the QB.

2 DT's is a long shot, but Kancey and Ika are VERY different players. Mcneill and Ika make an elite rotation of run stoppers.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps not, but Lions lack a lot of pass rush. Him with Kancey gives a few extra options on the line to get at the QB.

2 DT's is a long shot, but Kancey and Ika are VERY different players. Mcneill and Ika make an elite rotation of run stoppers.
Agreed. we probably need a 3 tech more inside. If romeo sucks then I am all for an edge guy.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no interest in Levis.

1. He just lost to Vanderbilt.
2. He threw for under 200 yards against Vanderbilt.
3. He's thrown for under 200 yards in 3 straight games.
4. He transferred from Penn State. Which means he couldn't beat out Clifford. Who stinks.

While this assessment certainly won't get me hired as a scout, there's merit to it. Hard pass.

While I think your assessment is mostly accurate, you also have to consider more than just his poor stats or even losses in certain games that "his team" shouldn't have. Levis has had very little help this season and the injury bug to his shoulder, finger and ankle crept up.

Every QB can go through periods of poor play and even Josh Allen went through a similar senior season - albeit he lost 3/5 of his OL to graduation and 5/8 of his receivers prior to his senior season. Josh displayed some of the very same characteristic flaws - in that final season.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need DTs and LBs.

Also need an Edge rusher even if Romeo returns in 2023 and Julian is kept. You'll still need at least one more for rotation purposes, at a minimum. Should either of the Okwara's be waived or released, then you'll need two more edge rushers whether via draft and or free agency.

Re-sign Cominsky and Paschal are your "Big Ends" who also can slide inside. Hutch and Romeo, if healthy also can slide inside on certain occasions.

Julian is a 3-4 base edge rusher who primarily plays at his best when aligned as a 7 or 9 tech. He needs to be on the outside shoulder of an OT and he's barely mediocre at run defending.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps not, but Lions lack a lot of pass rush.

:10:

Mcneill and Ika make an elite rotation of run stoppers.

Love this idea. McNeil has been playing quite a bit of 3-tech this year and maybe if they had a true 3-tech that might not be the case, however prior to mini-camps/OTA's, DC stated McNeil would play more 3-tech this year. I still believe they need to address both NG-NT and a 3-tech in the off-season.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we probably need a 3 tech more inside

There's no telling how Onwuzurike will come through having back surgery. I don't believe they can go into next season relying upon him as a starter and rotating McNeil, Cominsky, Paschal and Hutch behind Levi O. That doesn't appear to be the smartest plan, but they can always wait until after the draft to see who's available that has been released. I'd prefer they invest in another young, inexpensive drafted player if a player is deemed worthy.

There's also the possibility to "try to sign" Javon Hargrave if he becomes available while you wait out the Onwuzurike situation. He'd be an excellent mentor for all the current young DL and any that are drafted.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If romeo sucks then I am all for an edge guy.

Hutch, Romeo, Julian and Charles Harris combined don't exactly give me stay up all night concerns with worry if I'm an Offensive Coordinator.

I know we need a starting MIKE - either through the draft or free agency - and we'll have to deal with seeing how both Barnes and Rodriguez progress throughout the season. I believe they can go the same route as they did this year by signing a Josh Woods or Chris Board type rotation LB.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do not see us passing on a stud QB four times in the first two rounds if one they like is there.

I'm not sure how there's going to be a stud QB left to draft once you get past Stroud and Bryce. This upcoming draft kind of reminds me of 2019 when you had Kyler and Daniel Jones, then onto Dwayne Haskins and then 2nd round pick Drew Lock.

All incoming QB's will need work to prosper at the NFL level, however, I don't consider Levis, Hooker or the any of the remaining QB's as studs.

One note when I've re-watched Hooker "game films" - not just highlight clips - is that he will hold onto the ball too long while he has an open receiver, clearly sees the open receiver, but he doesn't deliver the ball. He also has a tendency to not throw open a receiver all that often. Hooker has the calm demeanor and the ability to move around the pocket or escape and create on his own, but that repetitiveness of not pulling the trigger is "slightly concerning to me". I still believe he shows much better awareness than Levis.

elguapo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,056.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think we will see Holmes use a first on a non pass rushing LB.
We need a middle desperately, big run stuffing field general, if he can rush passer, that is a bonus and awesome. We need outside rushers but no team needs to throw against us if they can give 5 yards a crack running the rock

elguapo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,056.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1668727624765.png

elguapo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,056.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1668727892999.png

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need a middle desperately, big run stuffing field general, if he can rush passer, that is a bonus and awesome. We need outside rushers but no team needs to throw against us if they can give 5 yards a crack running the rock

That used to be the case. But it's a pass-drunk league now (with a couple exceptions). Teams are throwing whether they need to or not.