• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Never too Early to Talk Draft

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He will drop after his combine. Undersized and lower athleticism is the right combo to ignore college production, I think.

Would still love to have him. All he does is make plays.

Phillips is a pure football player and in this instance his numbers should be thrown out in my opinion.

I could state the same thing for Jack Campbell as none of his numbers translate to what we see from him on the field other than his forty. Obviously, Campbell's situation may see him ascend somewhat as that isn't the case for Phillips.

Both play a position that is undervalued in the NFL and unless they play at an elite level and while also having elite scores, they're likely to be over ranked by the media.

I think Phillips is destined for the 3rd round at the earliest and quite possibly early on into the 4th round.

Campbell shouldn't be considered prior to mod 2nd round into mid 3rd round.

JMO.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would still wait for a better QB class though. Goff is good for another few years easy.

I hate the idea of picking Richardson until they do. Then I am all in on the hype train. Full homer.

In no such manner was I promoting Holmes to draft him. It was merely a statement by me in an if it were to occur.

I think there is zero chance that Holmes will draft a QB prior to the 3rd round unless he somehow adds another 2nd round pick.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jalen Carter and Will Anderson are likely gone at 6.

CJ Stroud is the only QB I would take at 6 but I think he will go in the top 5.

So here is what I would do:

6: Tyree Wilson

I would be elated should any one of the three defensive players you've mentioned would still be available at No.6.

Reactions: Rob

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
18: O'Cyrus Torrence (or insert your favorite OG) - Continue building that strength and stabilize the injury-prone interior.

Love this pick at No.18 but the need for one of the premier CB prospects would supersede this selection in my opinion. The draft is deep with other CB, however, I'm not sure any of the rest are as ready to compete day 1 as many of us presume Witherspoon, Gonzalez, Porter.

If Holmes were to sign an UFA CB1 then I could somewhat understand bypassing drafting an CB early on.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
18: Drew Sanders (or Trenton Simpson) - Add an instant contributor to the LB group and add needed coverage skills to the middle of the field. LB is one of the weakest position groups on the team and our secondary is forced to make way too many tackles on RBs.

JMO. Sanders is highly athletic but only has 1 year as an off the ball LB. He may or may not be more athletic than Derrick Barnes which is the player you'd be drafting Sanders to replace. A CFB LB with only 1 year experience at that position with find the going tough as Barnes has proven. Sanders hasn't shown on the field to be any more instinctive than what Barnes had shown with only 1 year experience. That is a huge gamble.

I also don't believe that either Simpson or Sanders are 1st round caliber players even the many of the media had or has placed them there.

Here's a pretty well thought out evaluation breakdown of Simpson by Jeff Risdon who is actually quite good as one of the local media analysts.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49: Hendon Hooker - Put a huge upside guy behind Goff. I am tired of having zero hope behind our starter. He is accurate, mobile, and has a pretty strong arm.

I definitely could see Holmes making this selection but at exactly what draft slot, I have no clue.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Reported Lions visits​

QB Anthony Richardson, Florida (NFL Combine)
WR Quentin Johnston, Texas (NFL Combine)
WR Jayden Reed, Michigan State (NFL Combine)
WR Antoine Green, North Carolina (NFL Combine)
TE Sam LaPorta, Iowa (NFL Combine)
TE Tucker Kraft, South Dakota State (NFL Combine)
T/G Jordan McFadden, Clemson (NFL Combine)
OT Darnell Wright, Tennessee (NFL Combine)
LB Noah Sewell, Oregon (NFL Combine)
LB Trenton Simpson, Clemson (NFL Combine)
S Jammie Robinson, Florida State (NFL Combine)

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is pretty damn sad as far as I see it. If a draft prospect isn't going to do every single athletic testing event scheduled, then there should be other players who take their place to show their skills in front of the teams GM's, HC and position coaches etc.

The NFL combine is much more structured at the combine than pro-day workouts. If a player is injured coming into the event, then he or his agent should notify whoever is in charge of running the combine as such so a replacement player can be given a chance. Injured players should still be allowed to go through medical evaluations, team interviews and media pressors. Obviously, this would mean expanding the number of players for this event and the extra time needed to cover that expansion. Hell, there's 256 draft picks when not considering the new rules of compensation picks for minority GM's or HC hired and only 330 players selected to perform at this event.

At some positions, workouts weren’t recorded for key drills. As one analyst that has advised NFL teams put it, “Only 63 of 319 players at the Combine completed testing. That is so sad,” adding “[An] 80% non-completion rate is over the line.”

That can be important, as Cynthia Frelund’s work as the NFL Network’s analytics expert demonstrated last year. She argues that the NFL Combine workouts have historically helped predict success with context in mind, saying “Not every test matters for each position, but for each position, there are certain combine metrics that have more predictive merit based on historical data.”

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Quan Martin, Christian Gonzalez Draw Rave Reviews​

Updated March 4, 2023

Even though Gonzalez has a great skill set, he has not been a lock as a top-10 prospect for the 2023 NFL Draft. Teams said they didn't like the lack of fight, competitiveness, and finesse they saw on tape.

BB_72: This will be a flaw in Gonzalez that AG will say no to. Witherspoon, I believe, will be too small of a CB even though he has what AG loves in a CB "DOG mentality".

“The first thing that (I look for in corners) is personality,” Glenn said at the combine. “Like, how do they come in? How confident are they? How do they go about opportunity with the installs? And me personally, I can tell right off the top, is this one of the guys that’s going to get after it because of just the way he operates? There is a certain aura about him, and I would say this about a corner and a receiver, that you can get immediately just from personality-wise.”

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Multiple Teams Have Devon Witherspoon as Mid-First-rounder​

Updated March 1, 2023

The 5-foot-11, 180-pound Witherspoon is smaller than ideal for the pro game, which hurts him with teams. Sources from multiple teams picking in the top 10 of the 2023 NFL Draft say they do not view Witherspoon as a top-10 talent.

"We don't have him as a top-10 candidate," said a director of player personnel for a team picking in the top 10. "He has dog to him, and some speed and explosion, but his speed is not special. He has a skinny lower body, and I'm not sure he will hold up and avoid injury."

BB_72" Reads as if the quote was from Aaron Glenn. Those are the words he normally uses when referencing CB.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Teams Feel Myles Murphy is Mid-first-rounder​

Updated March 2, 2023

NFL team sources say they now see Murphy as mid-first-round pick for the 2023 NFL Draft, at the highest.

Murphy possesses a good skill set with size, speed and athleticism. Contacts with NFL team say they believe Murphy will work out well in the leadup to the 2023 NFL Draft, but he did not record any sacks over the final four games of 2022 while playing some weak opponents and he seemed to take his foot off the pedal. Some evaluators told WalterFootball.com they don't like that Murphy needs to get pushed and prodded to play physical and go hard.

Some evaluators are not big fans of Murphy, saying they feel he is 'Clelin Ferrell 2.0.'

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Mebert will let me know if this prediction comes true. I had earlier stated my belief is that Campbell is a mid 2nd round to mid 3rd round player.

Teams See Late Round 1 Possible for Jack Campbell​

Updated March 3, 2023
I have been a {racist word} fan of him than most for some time. I would hope not the first because Holmes won't take a non-pass rushing LB that early. I would not complain about taking him there if we did though.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@broncosmitty would love this simply for Moody dissing Calvin Johnson not to mention Moody would love to kick for the Lions.

Moody even told a story about blowing off Hall of Fame wide receiver Calvin Johnson to get more time with Prater, who kicked for the Lions from 2014-2020.

“I grew up in Northfield, MI,” Moody said. “There was a local pizza place and my friends were texting me that Matt Prater and Calvin Johnson were at this pizza place in my hometown. So I threw on a coat, ran out the door, quickly got to the pizza place and I went straight for Matt Prater and only talked to him. It got to the point where Calvin Johnson had to like introduce himself to me because I wasn’t as interested in talking to him, I guess.”

I’m sold.

Let’s draft him!

elguapo

I cannot think of anything clever to put here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,056.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1678348262091.png

elguapo

I cannot think of anything clever to put here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,056.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1678348967506.png

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JMO. Sanders is highly athletic but only has 1 year as an off the ball LB. He may or may not be more athletic than Derrick Barnes which is the player you'd be drafting Sanders to replace. A CFB LB with only 1 year experience at that position with find the going tough as Barnes has proven. Sanders hasn't shown on the field to be any more instinctive than what Barnes had shown with only 1 year experience. That is a huge gamble.

I also don't believe that either Simpson or Sanders are 1st round caliber players even the many of the media had or has placed them there.

Here's a pretty well thought out evaluation breakdown of Simpson by Jeff Risdon who is actually quite good as one of the local media analysts.

If he lasts to round 3 its a no brainer for us. Our biggest issue is running QBs which he excels at containing. He will hopefully get more disciplined with NFL structure.