• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Netflix thread

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I highly doubt it. The reason they keep making the (fast and the furious) movies is because people watch them. Not everything Netflix produces can be great, no reason they shouldn’t take some of the low hanging fruit too.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering the retarded fanboy cult following of the Fast and Furious series it will probably do just fine.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually think Netflix has a lot of great content.

If Netflix has a stereotype its that it lets some of its seasons get a little bloated.

Oh, and 13 Reasons Why should probably go to hell

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finally, this is a cinematic universe that really needs to be expanded. With any luck Dom teams up with XXX to thwart an alien invasion. When all looks lost, Riddick comes in to save the day.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering the retarded fanboy cult following of the Fast and Furious series it will probably do just fine.
Exactly! Those same retarded fanboys are the ones who drive around in their ricers pretending they are in those stupid ass movies.

"I'm a drifter, man!"

"Dude my car(2008 factory Honda Civic/neon lights/plastic body kit/spoiler/exhaust that sounds like a fart) can run the 1/4 mile in like....10.679 on a bad day."

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where's the outrage from James Cameron?

SU Nittany Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,096.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Black Mirror is pretty goodang. First episode might throw a lot of people off though.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Netflix was full of lowbrow actioners, you'd have a point, but it's... not.

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually think Netflix has a lot of great content.

If Netflix has a stereotype its that it lets some of its seasons get a little bloated.

Oh, and 13 Reasons Why should probably go to hell
Why? It's on my list... should I not watch it?

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why? It's on my list... should I not watch it?
I think it reduces teen suicide to some sort of weird issue that makes it everyone else's fault which is just what a teen who wants to commit suicide wants to hear.

Red_Chaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
premise reminds me of a cartoon that was in the 2000's, I can't remember the name but it was pretty much a team of undercover cops who raced against gang/mafia....

ugh.......what was the name of it...

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
which is just what a teen who wants to commit suicide wants to hear.

I'm curious, why do you think they want to hear that?

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm curious, why do you think they want to hear that?
It seems like thats the gist of the whole show. People don't normally send out tapes to each person that they think wronged them. The whole show is morbid AF and I think it sends the wrong messages but maybe thats me.

I like the open-ended view of teenage troubles. I remember when My So-Called Life came out and it got cancelled pretty quickly despite being pretty good. It had a complex view of teenage life but didn't go full-on tragic. The Squid and the Whale comes to mind, too.

13 Reasons Why just seems like a shock value PSA at best and something that possibly glorifies teenage suicide at worst

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems like thats the gist of the whole show. People don't normally send out tapes to each person that they think wronged them. The whole show is morbid AF and I think it sends the wrong messages but maybe thats me.

I like the open-ended view of teenage troubles. I remember when My So-Called Life came out and it got cancelled pretty quickly despite being pretty good. It had a complex view of teenage life but didn't go full-on tragic. The Squid and the Whale comes to mind, too.

13 Reasons Why just seems like a shock value PSA at best and something that possibly glorifies teenage suicide at worst
By showing the actual act, I don't think it was glorifying it at all.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Full disclosure, I only watched the first couple of episodes, and decided it wasn't for me.

Having said that, I didn't get 'glorifying' suicide at all, but rather if it is a PSA, it's saying TALK about suicide with your teen. Because it's only by TALKING about things that you can heal and move on with your life.

I used to have a typically male view of mental health (psychology and counseling is a scam for people who have money to burn) Rub some dirt on that shit, get back in the game soldier!

Then in a short period of time I

got divorced
lost custody of my kid
quit my job to move 2000 miles to try and save my marriage

If a family member hadn't TALKED to me, I'm pretty sure I'd be dead. When I sat in a psychiatrist's office and ticked off 11 of the 12 signs of severe depression, it dawned on me that I WAS actually ill. That I needed outside help. That I needed to talk to someone about it who wouldn't judge me.

Two weeks on drugs, a half dozen hour long therapy sessions and I never looked back.

I recognize when I get depressed now, but it's VERY different from what full blown 'depression' is. Like the difference between a hangnail and a compound fracture. I've never had to take anti-depressants again. I thank my lucky stars that I'm not DISPOSED to it like some are.

But what I didn't understand, and my therapist gave me the permission to believe was that most people will struggle with 1 of the major life events like I had above. I got the triple whammy all at once. It'd have been strange had I NOT been severely depressed.

Anyway it's pretty complex stuff. There's genetic components as well as environmental. I've got a young adult kid who struggles with it too, so I feel some guilt for that. (thanks DAD!)

But the one thing I'm 100% convinced of. People have to TALK about the mental health issues that assail them.

I think the main reason I didn't keep watching that show, is that it seemed a bit 'Hollywoodish' to me. But if people read the book, watch the show from that, and they 'learn' some stuff about it, then that's not necessarily a bad thing.

I can't figure out in the least how the author/show runners would figure on GLORIFYING suicide.

SU Nittany Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,096.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t know. I still think the first episode is the best episode...

:noidea:
I didn't mind it but it's enough to turn people off and other than the pacing it wasn't really in line with the rest of the series.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Full disclosure, I only watched the first couple of episodes, and decided it wasn't for me.

Having said that, I didn't get 'glorifying' suicide at all, but rather if it is a PSA, it's saying TALK about suicide with your teen. Because it's only by TALKING about things that you can heal and move on with your life.

I used to have a typically male view of mental health (psychology and counseling is a scam for people who have money to burn) Rub some dirt on that shit, get back in the game soldier!

Then in a short period of time I

got divorced
lost custody of my kid
quit my job to move 2000 miles to try and save my marriage

If a family member hadn't TALKED to me, I'm pretty sure I'd be dead. When I sat in a psychiatrist's office and ticked off 11 of the 12 signs of severe depression, it dawned on me that I WAS actually ill. That I needed outside help. That I needed to talk to someone about it who wouldn't judge me.

Two weeks on drugs, a half dozen hour long therapy sessions and I never looked back.

I recognize when I get depressed now, but it's VERY different from what full blown 'depression' is. Like the difference between a hangnail and a compound fracture. I've never had to take anti-depressants again. I thank my lucky stars that I'm not DISPOSED to it like some are.

But what I didn't understand, and my therapist gave me the permission to believe was that most people will struggle with 1 of the major life events like I had above. I got the triple whammy all at once. It'd have been strange had I NOT been severely depressed.

Anyway it's pretty complex stuff. There's genetic components as well as environmental. I've got a young adult kid who struggles with it too, so I feel some guilt for that. (thanks DAD!)

But the one thing I'm 100% convinced of. People have to TALK about the mental health issues that assail them.

I think the main reason I didn't keep watching that show, is that it seemed a bit 'Hollywoodish' to me. But if people read the book, watch the show from that, and they 'learn' some stuff about it, then that's not necessarily a bad thing.

I can't figure out in the least how the author/show runners would figure on GLORIFYING suicide.
Good post. The only thing I hate about depression is that "anti-depressant's" don't do shit then give you awful side effects when the depression eventually goes away. If they helped you, congrats, but you're in the minority there.

Other than that, excellent post.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good post. The only thing I hate about depression is that "anti-depressant's" don't do shit then give you awful side effects when the depression eventually goes away. If they helped you, congrats, but you're in the minority there.

Other than that, excellent post.
I disagree with you on everything in this post, but other than that, excellent post.

Essentially, you don't know if antidepressants work or not for everyone. Your blanket statement lacks any kind of proof.