• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Nelson Cruz' messy contract status

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nellie is a free agent in about 115 days. Seems pretty obvious that he should get a 1-2 year extension. But that's on the surface. Underneath, there is a maze of problems to sort out. We know what they all are:

Cruz is 38.

Cano, at age 35, is the heir-apparent at DH. At what point do we have Cano take on the role fulltime?
If we extend Cruz, where does Cano play? Gordon is a better second baseman and should stay at second.

If Gordon is at 2nd and Cruz is DH, first base is the only place left for Cano. That means Ryon Healy, who helps keep the team overall salary down, is the odd man out. But Ryon Healy, despite is 18 homeruns, actually has a negative WAR for the season so far.

Also with Dee not in CF and Healy not in the lineup, we are basically replacing Healy's bat with Heredia's bat. That is certainly not an even trade off.

So all of this goes back to the rimifications of extending Nelson Cruz. What's the best option?

I say we extend Cruz, trade Healy, and try to find a more productive CFer on the trade market or via free agency.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is where I am at and think you are pretty spot on.

I'm not sure how you can look at the way this offense is performing and think it can survive taking Cruz away. Plus he isn't blocking anyone in the minors. I say give him like a 2 year deal.

Also when you factor in about what you have touched on Healy (negative WAR at 1st) and Dee Gordon (about half the WAR of Cano) I think transistioning Cano to 1st, having Dee play 2nd and looking for a CF is what makes the most sense.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing to think of, is if there is any team that would take on Seager (obviously won't) but Healy can play 3B. Probably not gold glove, but Seager was a terrible fielder last year and Segura was a terrible SS, Seager is a gold glover this year and Segura for the most part had turned himself into a really good fielder.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,747.78
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd extend him another two years... 15, 16 million a year...