• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Neck Strength and Concussions ...

Golden Spur

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting article, also has some general S+C info from NFL trainers.

While not as publicized as other NFL anti-concussion measures, there is scientific research that shows a muscular neck likely defuses the potentially damaging forces sometimes generated when a player is hit in the head. The larger the “cylinder,” the better the chance that the neck will serve as a shock-absorber to lessen stress placed on the skull.

Exactly how much Rogucki’s weight-lifting program helped players last season can’t be scientifically quantified. It’s safe to say, though, that it definitely didn’t hurt during Baltimore’s championship run.

Three players — wide receiver Torrey Smith, running back Bernard Pierce and tight end Dennis Pitta — suffered concussions in the 2012 regular season. All of them passed the NFL’s mandatory concussion tests to play the following game. Backup safety Sean Considine suffered a preseason concussion but he was cleared by Baltimore’s opener.

“We probably put more emphasis on the neck because of the concussion aspect that now is part of our daily life,” Rogucki told FOX Sports following his 30-minute presentation with Ravens assistant strength coach Juney Barnett. “We want to minimize (the chances) and hopefully prevent, but you may not ever prevent it. The chance is always going to be there.

Also said most college players come in without ever having trained necks.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,532.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I raced motorcycles professionally. Needless to say, I landed on my mellon more than a few times. I exercised my neck rigrously and never had a concussion while racing. Could be on to something.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I guess if Takeo Spikes never had a concussion, there might be something to this.

TakeoSpikes51-fjyw-570x.jpg

Golden Spur

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's why neck extensions are so important to include in trianing.
The only thing I've done since high school was back bridges, and haven't done those for years. Might start back.