• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NCAA Football Playoffs

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they allowed 8 this year there would be two 2 loss teams that didnt w in their conference. I could get behind a 6 team format, but with 8 you would have undeserving teams in every year.
Everyone in the top 8 would be deserving.

geezer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, 4 teams is good, 8 would be better. Since it will be a major money maker, (anybody see the ratings for these games yet?) I would like them to give something to the kids playing. At the very least, insurance for every player in case they get injured. Enough to pay for the completion of their college degree. Most of these kids never get to the NFL.

BritishDolfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they allowed 8 this year there would be two 2 loss teams that didnt w in their conference. I could get behind a 6 team format, but with 8 you would have undeserving teams in every year.

How about the top 5 conference champs plus 3 at large? And at least 2 of the 3 at large would probably end up being conference runners up.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about the top 5 conference champs plus 3 at large? And at least 2 of the 3 at large would probably end up being conference runners up.

That's not a bad idea. If they go that route what happens if the Big XII has a co-champ like this year, would they both get into the 8 team playoff?

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not a bad idea. If they go that route what happens if the Big XII has a co-champ like this year, would they both get into the 8 team playoff?

Nope. That's their problem. 1 champ per conference. Let them figure it out. Flip a coin if they don't want to do it like everyone else.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I like 6. 5 conference winners and 1 at large. If you dont win your conference AND you have 2 losses, you shouldnt be eligible for a national title.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,405.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

U mean just like the NFL:suds: If they dont deserve to be there they should be easy to beat right?:suds:

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
U mean just like the NFL:suds: If they dont deserve to be there they should be easy to beat right?:suds:

Whether or not theyre tough teams doesnt matter. You could take that same argument and stretch the field from 8 to 16 and wipe even more relevance from the regular season.

I just dont think a team is deserving when you combine these two factors. They would have their chance with regular sea son h2hs against the teams that would be in the top 6 And didnt capitalize on them.

Last edited by a moderator:

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more teams you allow into a 1 and done format, the less confident I am that the best team won.

4 seems about right. I'm pretty sure the best team is in there somewhere,.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They should just allow the Big XII to have a championship game. Requiring 12 teams in a conference to have a championship game doesn't make any sense at this point in time. It's just an arbitrary number.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more teams you allow into a 1 and done format, the less confident I am that the best team won.

4 seems about right. I'm pretty sure the best team is in there somewhere,.

Not sure I get your reasoning there. This isn't basketball, baseball, or hockey. One and done playoffs were the accepted championship format in every football league in America other than Division I FBS until this year. 8 teams will still give you the best team.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure I get your reasoning there. This isn't basketball, baseball, or hockey. One and done playoffs were the accepted championship format in every football league in America other than Division I FBS until this year. 8 teams will still give you the best team.

So you think we need to include 8 teams to ensure we have the best one in there somewhere? I don't. I think pulling in 4 teams is enough to be fairly confident you have the best team. Add more teams and it just increases the chance that the best team doesn't win. Think NCAA tourney. You can run that thing 10 time and probably get 8 different winners at least.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you think we need to include 8 teams to ensure we have the best one in there somewhere? I don't. I think pulling in 4 teams is enough to be fairly confident you have the best team. Add more teams and it just increases the chance that the best team doesn't win. Think NCAA tourney. You can run that thing 10 time and probably get 8 different winners at least.

That would be the key word. Do you want to be fairly confident or do you want to be absolutely confident? This year already showed the best 4 teams may not have made it in. It was pretty clear that TCU deserved a shot. The point of the playoff is to give everybody who deserves it a shot, and IMO four does not do that. And again, every other professional and collegiate football playoff system lets in more than 4 teams. Why is FBS football so different that this system would not produce the best team as champion?

I understand the point you're trying to make with the March Madness reference but, again, this is not basketball, baseball, or hockey where it is generally accepted that a best of 5 or 7 series is needed to determine the best team. It football it is widely understood that one game is all that is needed.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would be the key word. Do you want to be fairly confident or do you want to be absolutely confident? This year already showed the best 4 teams may not have made it in. It was pretty clear that TCU deserved a shot. The point of the playoff is to give everybody who deserves it a shot, and IMO four does not do that. And again, every other professional and collegiate football playoff system lets in more than 4 teams. Why is FBS football so different that this system would not produce the best team as champion?

I understand the point you're trying to make with the March Madness reference but, again, this is not basketball, baseball, or hockey where it is generally accepted that a best of 5 or 7 series is needed to determine the best team. It football it is widely understood that one game is all that is needed.

It's all good. I just think there's a tipping point or a sweet spot. Getting on the wrong side of that tipping point to me would be no better than just letting polls decide the national champ.