• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NBA seriously considering big scheduling changes

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tailor the number of games to whatever can be scheduled without back to backs.

Put the top 16 teams in the playoffs, regardless of conference. No need to re-seed once started.

Could care less about a mid-season tourney.

Play in games for the playoff fringe are OK, but if you couldn't qualify over 78 or 82 why should those teams get yet another chance really?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Play in games for the playoff fringe are OK, but if you couldn't qualify over 78 or 82 why should those teams get yet another chance really?

I see your point. But then, there can be mitigating factors as to why a team didn't qualify. Maybe they had an important player or 2 who were out for extended periods (ala the Warriors this year).

Maybe they were a young team that started to figure things out, but too late to grab a playoff spot (like the Lakers team that went on a little bit of a run at the end of the season a couple of seasons ago).

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see your point. But then, there can be mitigating factors as to why a team didn't qualify. Maybe they had an important player or 2 who were out for extended periods (ala the Warriors this year).

Maybe they were a young team that started to figure things out, but too late to grab a playoff spot (like the Lakers team that went on a little bit of a run at the end of the season a couple of seasons ago).

Sure, but in the end, it's already a long season and it ultimately is an extra game for the honor of getting blown out in the first round. Those teams might be better off in the lottery.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NBA deciding to run an FA Cup-style tournament in an era when domestic cup tournaments in soccer have dramatically been reduced in importance and is often the tournament where managers give their bench players/reserves a run is odd.

Players are clamoring for more rest, not less. Do this and you'll get stars playing 40 games a year.

Yeah, I think for something like that to happen, they'd have to do 2 things:

1. Reduce the number of regular season games.

2. Make sure that the reward for winning the mid-season tournament is good enough that it is worth a team losing their shot at title because they lost their best player to injury playing in the tournament.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tailor the number of games to whatever can be scheduled without back to backs.

Put the top 16 teams in the playoffs, regardless of conference. No need to re-seed once started.

Could care less about a mid-season tourney.

Look at the east last year. 6-10 were separated by 3 games that were just decided at the end. Were the Pistons who floundered to the finish more worthy of getting swept by the bucks than the Heat who came on strong to finish? Hell, we could have sat through one more first round game as the Heat may have stolen one from the Bucks that the Pistons couldn't.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at the east last year. 6-10 were separated by 3 games that were just decided at the end. Were the Pistons who floundered to the finish more worthy of getting swept by the bucks than the Heat who came on strong to finish? Hell, we could have sat through one more first round game as the Heat may have stolen one from the Bucks that the Pistons couldn't.

People care about the bottom of the East bracket? News to me..... :trash:

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People care about the bottom of the East bracket? News to me..... :trash:
But really, I'm not for any of these changes. Earn it during the season (yeah, maybe those games you rested guys did matter). And cutting 4 games? Really!? If your going to bother making cuts why so insignificant? Each game has gone from 1.21% to 1.28% of the schedule--still not a whole lot!

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And there is such thing as a Clippers fan as well

giphy.gif

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But really, I'm not for any of these changes. Earn it during the season (yeah, maybe those games you rested guys did matter). And cutting 4 games? Really!? If your going to bother making cuts why so insignificant? Each game has gone from 1.21% to 1.28% of the schedule--still not a whole lot!

4 games is what, probably 1 game vs division opponents cut? Those are the games that SHOULD be played. League average is 12.4 back to backs this season. If you're going to cut back...

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now, was that really necessary?

What have I ever done to you?!?!?

tenor.gif
Just reminding the Lakers faithful you were around before all those people started jumping your train.:kiss:

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just reminding the Lakers faithful you were around before all those people started jumping your train.:kiss:

I'm quite surprised we haven't all of a sudden gotten a surge of new "lifelong Clippers fans" on this board.

Maybe once they finally make it past the 2nd round of the playoffs this year.

Maybe

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should split the league into two different leagues.

A league would be the teams that have a chance

B league would be the Timberwolves

The winner of B league gets a small trophy and a party at Incredible Pizza

Party at Incredible Pizza?

Sign me up for that league!

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bottom 4 teams have a playoff game at the end of the season.
The winners of the first game play for the #1 draft pick, loser gets #2.
The losers of the first game play for the #3 pick, loser gets #4.

Who wouldn't watch that?

This could be expanded to 8 and would prevent teams from building a roster that is made to lose.
Why would you put out a lousy product and risk only getting the 8th pick because you can't win in the lottery playoffs?

If two teams are jockeying for the 8th seed, you could have a play-in game to decide who gets it.

The problem with that is that it would lead to real tanking.

People call what the 6ers did tanking. It wasn’t. They had a bad roster created by management to lose games. But the players and coaches tried to win.

Implement this system where you need to lose to get the bottom 4 or bottom 8, but then win once you get there, and I think you open up to real tanking like the league has never seen. Where average teams sit players half the season, then they are miraculously healthy when these games start.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Party at Incredible Pizza?

Sign me up for that league!

Not a chance.

Your team has been too good for too long. Spurs are not invited to the party.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a chance.

Your team has been too good for too long. Spurs are not invited to the party.

This ain't about the Spurs. This about some pizza!

Hell yeah I'd abandon the Spurs for some pizza.