• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NBA seriously considering big scheduling changes

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not have a separate tournament when the season has finished among teams who didn't qualify for the playoffs? Winner gets a few extra ping pong balls in the lottery.

As a Timberwolves fan I think this is an excellent idea. But maybe the loser gets some extra ping pong balls??

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not have a separate tournament when the season has finished among teams who didn't qualify for the playoffs? Winner gets a few extra ping pong balls in the lottery.

Not a bad idea but who is watching? Playoffs start 3 days after the end of season

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a bad idea but who is watching? Playoffs start 3 days after the end of season

There will still be some fun teams that don't make the playoffs. GSW, Spurs and Blazers in the West for instance.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There will still be some fun teams that don't make the playoffs. GSW, Spurs and Blazers in the West for instance.

That's fine but I'm not watching some BS tournament when playoffs basketball is on.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LOL these changes are not happening this year. Warriors are making the playoffs next year, and maybe those other two teams too.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL these changes are not happening this year. Warriors are making the playoffs next year, and maybe those other two teams too.

The West is stacked. A couple of good teams are going to miss out regardless

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People will still watch. It would be up to scheduling. Space the games out.

Playoffs are on basically everyday. If they're not looking for ratings then they can make it work...but I'm sure they're looking for ratings

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sources: NBA mulling reseeding, play-in tourney

Some of this has been talked about the last couple of years but it sounds like its seriously gaining steam this time.

Big highlights include:

78 game season (down from 82)
Reseeding the conference finals based on record
A playoff play in tournament between the 7th thru 10th place teams in each conference
An in season 30 team tournament similar to how soccer works where teams get extra cash, etc to win

78 games. Dont have a huge problem with it but I dont support it
Reseeding? Sure I would be up for it but it goes against tradition and I dont like that.
The play-in is just extra meaningless games. How often does the 7 or 8 seed beat the 1 or 2. Hardly ever. It’s stupid.
In season tourney is just a waste of time and effort. Top Players will sit out so they dont get injured. Stupid.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should split the league into two different leagues.

A league would be the teams that have a chance

B league would be the Timberwolves

The winner of B league gets a small trophy and a party at Incredible Pizza

Nah, have them go to Chuck E. Cheese instead so that they can get pizza and prizes.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

All games would go on for 48 hours straight in one arena. Players and coaches eat, sleep and play ball in that arena. If you leave the arena, you are disqualified. So for this tourney you have to build a huge arena with 8-10 locker rooms with luxury beds, bathrooms and big kitchens. Still only one court but all games will be played back to back to back to back, etc. until there is one team left.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's fine but I'm not watching some BS tournament when playoffs basketball is on.

LOL. It would be like watching the meaningless college football bowl games. Might be fun, but not exciting like the CFP.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wait, so the team who tanks enough to get into the lottery and then turns it on at the end of the year to win more chances at the lottery? I know that teams do many times get better throughout the year, but this sort of proves that they were better than they played in the regular season. It looks purposeful.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL. It would be like watching the meaningless college football bowl games. Might be fun, but not exciting like the CFP.

that tourney would be so meaningless and players would have NO incentive to win.
Maybe if you win, you get better lottery odds or something but why would players have incentives to even play, usually the more talented players.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only change that I could see benefiting the NBA is starting the season a month later. Have the season tipoff in mid December, and end in July.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The play-in is just extra meaningless games. How often does the 7 or 8 seed beat the 1 or 2. Hardly ever. It’s stupid.

I think its more of a way to help curb tanking. If the 10 seed has a shot at the playoffs (and the extra revenue that comes with it), they could be more inclined to play their stars and actually try later in the season rather than just tank. Combine this play in with the already in place lottery rules which shortened the odds, and I think it'll eliminate significant amount of tanking. A team could shoot for 10th in hopes of the playoffs, miss out, but still win a lotto pick. That's a win-win for the franchise business wise either way.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,300.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets just keep it like it is and tell the players if they wake up feeling a bit affiminate that they don’t have to play. Oh wait, that’s how it is now.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They'd probably have to make some changes to the playoff schedule.

Just off the top of my head without looking at the timing, if it's a one and done type tournament...maybe the time between the end of the regular season and the playoffs could be extended to 1 week. That would give playoff teams a little more time to rest up, deal with nagging injuries, etc.

Coaches would probably be in favor of it for the same reason college football coaches love bowl games...more practices.

It'd probably have to be a bit of a barnstorming tournament where they'd literally play a game, the winner see's where they are playing the next game and jumps on a plane and is playing the next night. But it could probably be done. Heck, that might add to the fun of it.

If they did try to "shoehorn it in" around the playoffs, you wouldn't miss a playoff game to watch a Heat tournament game if they were in it?

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bottom 4 teams have a playoff game at the end of the season.
The winners of the first game play for the #1 draft pick, loser gets #2.
The losers of the first game play for the #3 pick, loser gets #4.

Who wouldn't watch that?

This could be expanded to 8 and would prevent teams from building a roster that is made to lose.
Why would you put out a lousy product and risk only getting the 8th pick because you can't win in the lottery playoffs?

If two teams are jockeying for the 8th seed, you could have a play-in game to decide who gets it.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NBA deciding to run an FA Cup-style tournament in an era when domestic cup tournaments in soccer have dramatically been reduced in importance and is often the tournament where managers give their bench players/reserves a run is odd.

Players are clamoring for more rest, not less. Do this and you'll get stars playing 40 games a year.