• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NBA Phase 10 Draft III QF3 : Milk vs 500

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MILK

1st HALF
SG - Pete Maravich - 7
SF - Dr. J - 4
SF - Adrian Dantley - 10
PF - Zelmo Beaty - 5
C - Dwight Howard - 6

2nd HALF
PG - Chris Paul - 3
SG - George Gervin - 8
SF - Larry Bird - 9
PF- Bob McAdoo - 2
C - Bob Lanier - 1

VS

1st HALF
PG - Allen Iverson - 9
SG - Dwyane Wade - 2
SF - Alex English - 8
PF - Derrick Coleman - 1
C - Dikembe Mutombo - 10

2nd HALF
PG - John Stockton - 3
SG - Clyde Drexler - 6
SF - Connie Hawkins - 7
PF - Spencer Haywood - 5
C - Wilt Chamberlain - 4

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MILK - 2
500 - 5

VOTED - Mookie, Sushi, Ducey, Shane, Femur, Milk, Stakes

Race to 5

Last edited:

Mookie

Hoopla Cash
$ 74,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tough call. Don’t love the fits of both teams tbh. Gonna lean 500

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah I agree, not crazy about the fits of these teams but phase drafts can get you.

I will lean 500 bc I think his team fits better. I would lean Milk in the 1st and 500 in the 2nd. Toss up for me.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gotta go milk... and if I have to explain why... I will...

femurov

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,138.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got 5 on it.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

you seem to be the most knowledgeable basketballer around here..

did it kill me, not having a PG in the first half?? just assumed that Dr J and or Pistol pete would fill in the role...

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you seem to be the most knowledgeable basketballer around here..

did it kill me, not having a PG in the first half?? just assumed that Dr J and or Pistol pete would fill in the role...

I think it was more of lack passing and play making than not having a PG or true ball handler. IMO you would have been better served putting CP3 in the first unit and putting Pistol in the 2nd. That way you would at least have had Bird as a fall back facilitator. Maybe also would have swapped Dantley and Gervin too, but that's really minor and not a factor.

You'd have no problem getting the ball past half court, but the offense would be a bit stagnant with no true play makers. You have two bigs who have relied on their PG's to get them the ball (I'm assuming with Zelmo based on the era as I haven't seen much of him, but Howard for sure). Howard becomes almost useless as a P&R guy because you don't have a player who can use him in a P&R. He's basically relegated to being just an offensive rebound guy hoping he gets put backs.

I think basically you needed just one more guy who had some good passing abilities to help your half court offense. It could get stagnant with 3 ball dominant wings, and two interior scoring bigs. Unless you have a PG or a player who you can rely on to facilitate an offense, I think you need to have some additional play makers elsewhere.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@MilkSpiller22

It's kind of like in football, say you have a subpar pass blocking O-Line. Who would you rather have as your QB: Dan Marino or Steve Young. You'd probably want Young for his scrambling abilities to counter some of the ineffectiveness of the O-Line.

Same with basketball. You don't need someone to do a particular job per say, so long as you have enough skill to do other things to makeup for a singular lack of it.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it was more of lack passing and play making than not having a PG or true ball handler. IMO you would have been better served putting CP3 in the first unit and putting Pistol in the 2nd. That way you would at least have had Bird as a fall back facilitator. Maybe also would have swapped Dantley and Gervin too, but that's really minor and not a factor.

You'd have no problem getting the ball past half court, but the offense would be a bit stagnant with no true play makers. You have two bigs who have relied on their PG's to get them the ball (I'm assuming with Zelmo based on the era as I haven't seen much of him, but Howard for sure). Howard becomes almost useless as a P&R guy because you don't have a player who can use him in a P&R. He's basically relegated to being just an offensive rebound guy hoping he gets put backs.

I think basically you needed just one more guy who had some good passing abilities to help your half court offense. It could get stagnant with 3 ball dominant wings, and two interior scoring bigs. Unless you have a PG or a player who you can rely on to facilitate an offense, I think you need to have some additional play makers elsewhere.

These are the lineups I would have used...

1st HALF
PG - Chris Paul - 3
SG - Pete Maravich - 7
SF - Adrian Dantley - 10
PF - Zelmo Beaty - 5
C - Dwight Howard - 6

2nd HALF
PG - Larry Bird - 9
SG - George Gervin - 8
SF - Dr. J - 4
PF- Bob McAdoo - 2
C - Bob Lanier - 1

I would have love to see Bird and Dr. J together. You have CP3 and Dwight playing together along with Pistol Pete and Dantley. Beaty gets overlooked in this lineup. The 2nd half might have some trouble on defending the guards but I think it would help the ball movement.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You could even switch Pete and Gervin

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These are the lineups I would have used...

1st HALF
PG - Chris Paul - 3
SG - Pete Maravich - 7
SF - Adrian Dantley - 10
PF - Zelmo Beaty - 5
C - Dwight Howard - 6

2nd HALF
PG - Larry Bird - 9
SG - George Gervin - 8
SF - Dr. J - 4
PF- Bob McAdoo - 2
C - Bob Lanier - 1

I would have love to see Bird and Dr. J together. You have CP3 and Dwight playing together along with Pistol Pete and Dantley. Beaty gets overlooked in this lineup. The 2nd half might have some trouble on defending the guards but I think it would help the ball movement.

I would have gone:

PG: CP3
SG: George Gervin
SF: Dr. J
PF: Zelmo
C: Howard

PG: Pete
SG: Dantley
SF: Bird
PF: McAdoo
C: Lanier

I think CP3, Gervin and Dr. J on the fast break would be insane. Howard is a big who could run too, so utilizing a running lineup would help a lot. Also when the offense bogs down you could rely on CP3 to just go to a P&R and help facilitate a bucket for you.

Second half I like a Pistol/Bird P&R with both being good secondary passers for weak side cutters and setting up the bigs in the post.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

i guess that's where the catch 22 is.. If i put Bird in the non PG lineup, then that lineup would have had some big flaws too... and we all stacked one of our lineups... why weaken it??

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i guess that's where the catch 22 is.. If i put Bird in the non PG lineup, then that lineup would have had some big flaws too... and we all stacked one of our lineups... why weaken it??

That's assuming your stacking lineup has doesn't have any affect on each other. You could draft 4 of the best defensive linemen run stuffers of all time but that doesn't really help your team. Balance is better, imo.

It doesn't really weaken the lineup to switch out CP3 and Pete. They have different skillsets. Pete was more of a scorer and a play maker secondary. CP3 is a ball dominant guard who's best play is in the pick and roll. Seeing as you'd already want the ball a lot in Bird's hands, CP3's skillset is redundant and Pete's is more important.

If you're looking on talent vs talent alone, then yeah I get your weakening argument. But imo, you wouldn't have really weakened your team at all to swap a HOF for a HOF with a different skill set.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's assuming your stacking lineup has doesn't have any affect on each other. You could draft 4 of the best defensive linemen run stuffers of all time but that doesn't really help your team. Balance is better, imo.

It doesn't really weaken the lineup to switch out CP3 and Pete. They have different skillsets. Pete was more of a scorer and a play maker secondary. CP3 is a ball dominant guard who's best play is in the pick and roll. Seeing as you'd already want the ball a lot in Bird's hands, CP3's skillset is redundant and Pete's is more important.

If you're looking on talent vs talent alone, then yeah I get your weakening argument. But imo, you wouldn't have really weakened your team at all to swap a HOF for a HOF with a different skill set.

then here is another question... if both me and 500 set our lineups correctly(at least in your opinion), who would you have voted for??