• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NBA Opens Investigation

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most do and those are the ones who get fed the shit stories that teams put out as smokescreens. But there are a few (Woj and Shams among them) who get the real stories because they don't report them without the okay of their source.
Do you really think they got an okay from either team?

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most do and those are the ones who get fed the shit stories that teams put out as smokescreens. But there are a few (Woj and Shams among them) who get the real stories because they don't report them without the okay of their source.
Otherwise, they would no longer remain their source.
That's what GiGi finds hard to grasp, among other things.....

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it was a Philadelphia team, it's no big deal.
If it was a non-Philadelphia team, it's a big deal.
If it's Dallas, NY, Boston, LA..... they should lose everything.

See. Perfect logic!

:suds:
star trek vulcan GIF

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you really think they got an okay from either team?

I think they got an okay from whoever their source was within the team. It may be as simple as whoever their source was, thought things had been cleared with Bogdanovich when they hadn't. If I had to venture a guess, I'd say it was likely a Kings official.

I just don't see guys like Woj and Shams ruining their own reputation by releasing the info too early.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they got an okay from whoever their source was within the team. It may be as simple as whoever their source was, thought things had been cleared with Bogdanovich when they hadn't. If I had to venture a guess, I'd say it was likely a Kings official.
I would surmise that it would be a Bucks official.
If BB says he didn't know about the trade deal and a Kings official was speaking for him, that's not a good look.

However, the Bucks had traded for Jrue and were desperately trying to show Giannis that they were trying to build around him.

My guess would be on the Bucks leaking this to show to Giannis the lengths they were willing to go to.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would surmise that it would be a Bucks official.
If BB says he didn't know about the trade deal and a Kings official was speaking for him, that's not a good look.

However, the Bucks had traded for Jrue and were desperately trying to show Giannis that they were trying to build around him.

My guess would be on the Bucks leaking this to show to Giannis the lengths they were willing to go to.

That's a fair point. I just assumed Kings official because it's such a Kings thing to do.

Or as @boltfan72 would probably say: Kangz gonna Kangz. lol

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When the Timberwolves lost 53 1st round picks for the under the table Joe Smith contract i always assumed it was a warning to other teams. Turns out it was letting all the other teams know they can go ahead and ignore the rules, they already took the picks from the Wolves.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, I'm a little confused as to what the big deal is.

I assume that teams negotiate trades, talk to agents of players who will be FA's before their allowed to, etc. all the time. Then, if they think they can reach an agreement, they talk to the players. Doesn't necessarily make sense to involve a player that may not know he's on the trading block before you absolutely have to.

In fact, I remember a couple of agents and "unnamed GM's" criticizing Mitch Kupchak when he was still the Lakers GM because he refused to contact anyone prior to the exact moment FA/trade seasons opened. Pretty sure all of those FA deals that get announced within 5 minutes of FA opening weren't negotiated that quickly. lol

I know the league has to do something for appearances sake. But it seems like it's one of those things that everyone does. I'd be willing to bet that there have been plenty of trades that were agreed to, but ended up being scrapped when a player with the option said no, but we just never heard about it because everyone kept their mouth shut. In this case, someone didn't.

This.

And, it is only tampering if the team that owns the player’s contract is not okay with another team talking to their player.

Obviously the Kings were involved in this deal and gave permission to the Bucks.

Picklerick 2.0

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When the Timberwolves lost 53 1st round picks for the under the table Joe Smith contract i always assumed it was a warning to other teams. Turns out it was letting all the other teams know they can go ahead and ignore the rules, they already took the picks from the Wolves.
But when the lakers do worse, they get a fine of between 50k - 500k depending on the specific instance out of their many. Total joke.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like there was an agreement between the 2 sides, but some dumbass decided to spill the beans before anyone talked to Bogdanovich.

Not sure what the rule is about negotiating between teams before the player is allowed to negotiate with the team he would be going to.
Realistically, we know everyone does it. come on

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Realistically, we know everyone does it. come on

Every time anything happens in sports, everyone always says everyone does it. The answer is either to change the rules or to make appropriate punishments for those who are caught. Not draconian, but not the cost of doing business. (Although, if you landed a superstar, the cost would always be worth it, if the star comes.) People say that it puts an emphasis on not being caught, but so what? Isn’t that always the emphasis? Increase the methods and efforts to catch others. Or again, change the rules.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every time anything happens in sports, everyone always says everyone does it. The answer is either to change the rules or to make appropriate punishments for those who are caught. Not draconian, but not the cost of doing business. (Although, if you landed a superstar, the cost would always be worth it, if the star comes.) People say that it puts an emphasis on not being caught, but so what? Isn’t that always the emphasis? Increase the methods and efforts to catch others. Or again, change the rules.
Well I remember last year, Leonard played the Lakers making them think he might sign with them. Yet at 12.01 am, the Lakers had deals in place. The Other teams had deals as well

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Meh, it's really not nearly as big a deal as some want to make it. Yes, it's "against the rules" and yes "everyone does it". But the only time it ever becomes an issue is when a team is actually dumb enough to say something/gets caught.

It's like Fight Club. No one talks about it.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh, it's really not nearly as big a deal as some want to make it. Yes, it's "against the rules" and yes "everyone does it". But the only time it ever becomes an issue is when a team is actually dumb enough to say something/gets caught.

It's like Fight Club. No one talks about it.

True, any punishment should be reasonable and if this isn‘t a big deal, the punishment should be small or they should just change the rules.