• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: NBA Finals. Cleveland vs. Golden State...

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@tlance , @DJ, @trojanfan12 .....

I was wrong.

They can keep Capela and Ariza and still acquire James.

But, only if he gets traded there.

I was reading a Twitter war on the subject and someone linked an article by Pincus that lays out the how of it.

But, as @TurnUpTheHeat pointed out, why would Gilbert agree?

Gotta get at least one more team involved to find something the Cavs would want.

Maybe Jabari Parker and send Gordon to the Bucks?

Pincus used a team like the Bulls in his example...

How the Rockets Can Land LeBron James Without Sacrificing Everything Else
yah he would have to opt-in and it would have to be a 3 team deal is what it comes down to.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,201.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have to wait till Thursday.....

*kicks rox a lot*

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i would think you Lakers fans would have caught all the fish by now.....there anything left in the lake?:lol:

yo, your 1 O'Brien called and left a message. it said "it's soooo lonely in this trophy case all by myself. and cold...soooo cold...":heh:

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,201.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
actually i hate my secretary with a passion. she smells becuase she has a million dogs and has kind of made herself worthless by being so slow....i usually ask a different secretary or just do it myself.
You didn't hire your own?

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no doubt...

if this series goes like i THINK It'll go it's gonna get real ugly, real fast...

Maybe they’ll show some mercy so James stays in Cleveland.
Then they know they can beat them again next year

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cleveland Cavaliers: Taking another look at Kyrie Irving trade -- Terry Pluto

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Kyrie Irving won the Kyrie Irving trade.

He didn't want to play in the long shadow of LeBron James. As he told Cavs owner Dan Gilbert, he wanted to be "the focal point" of a franchise.

He became that in Boston, which is not just any franchise. The Celtics are iconic. Irving instantly became the "face of the franchise" that is legendary.

After three trips to the NBA Finals and one title, there is little doubt Irving enjoyed winning.

But he wanted more. He wanted to be mentioned along with Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook, Stephen Curry, James and other NBA superstars.

Would Irving have needed knee surgery had he remained with the Cavaliers?

We'll never know.

But there was something wrong with Irving's knee last summer when he demanded the Cavs trade him. According to a report by Cleveland.com's Joe Vardon, Irving threatened the Cavs with having knee surgery if they didn't trade him.

At first, it seemed like a power play.

But then Irving had not one but two surgeries this spring. They were done on the same knee he fractured in the 2015 NBA Finals.

The first surgery was to remove a wire in the knee. A second was to remove some screws in the knee that became infected.

His last game was on March 11

he Celtics are optimistic about their All-Star guard making a full recovery. But there has to be some concern about a player having three procedures on the same knee since 2015.

WHAT IF?

I'm going to assume Irving's knee would have had similar problems if he'd remained with the Cavs. That seems fair, given no traumatic injury such as a fall led to his current problems.

Would the Cavs have made a fourth consecutive trip to the NBA Finals without Irving -- or the players who came in later trades?

Let's think about it:

1. The Cavs originally received Isaiah Thomas, Jae Crowder, Ante Zizic and a draft pick that will be No. 8 in next month's 2018 NBA Draft.

2. Only Zizic and the pick remain with the Cavs. I like Zizic, the 6-foot-10 center, a long-term prospect. He scored 119 points in 214 minutes, shooting 73 percent from the field. He has a lot of savvy inside moves and is only 21.

3. If you connect all the deals made later, rookie general manager Koby Altman pulled off some trades that possibly saved the season and set up the climb to the 2018 NBA Finals.

4. Thomas was used as part of a trade to bring Larry Nance Jr. and Jordan Clarkson to the Cavs. Both are under contract for next season, which also is important

5. Thomas had hip surgery and there is a question mark about his future. He is a free agent.

6. Nance has had some very productive moments in the postseason. Clarkson was very good in the regular season, but has struggled in the playoffs.

7. The Cavs shipped Crowder and Derrick Rose to Utah. As part of the same deal, they sent Iman Shumpert to Sacracmento.

8. Those moves netted George Hill and Rodney Hood.

9. Hood has been a major disappointment. He seems lost with the Cavs and unhappy. He is a restricted free agent. Not sure if he will be back next season.

10. Hill is a veteran point guard. He fits in well with James. He is under contract for next season.

WHERE THE CAVS STAND

1. If the Cavs had kept Irving, they would not have him in the postseason.

2. If they kept Thomas, he also would not have played.

3. If Irving comes back strong, Boston made a good deal. But that knee has to be a concern.

4. Hill has been a key player for the Cavs in the postseason. Nance can rebound, defend and bring energy off the bench. They helped the Cavs reach The Finals.

5. Without all of these trades, it's likely another Eastern team besides the Cavs would have reached The Finals.

6. Dan Gilbert also deserves credit for adding about $10 million in luxury tax with those mid-season deals. They will pay about $50 million in tax and have a total payroll of $190 million -- second highest in NBA history according to ESPN's Brian Windhorst.

7. Once again, Gilbert made a major investment to help the Cavs and LeBron James return to The Finals.

8. James responded with perhaps the most epic postseason performance in his 15-year career. As time passed, he began to gain faith in his new teammates.

IN THE BACKGROUND

When Gilbert decided not to extend the contract of popular general manager David Griffin, the owner first tried to hire Chauncey Billups. The former Piston guard and current ESPN analyst turned down the job.

Griffin's assistant was Altman, who was running the team while Gilbert was trying to coax Billups into taking the job.

Finally, the owner gave it to Altman -- who was under tremendous pressure. At the age of 35, he was actually No. 3 in the front office -- behind Griffin and top assistant Trent Redden.

Redden left the Cavs with Griffin and now works for the Clippers.

Altman had to find a deal for Irving -- who made it harder by waiting until after the draft.

Then he had to make more trades when Thomas and Crowder failed to blend in with the team. Some of the blame for that has to fall to the front office.

But then so does some of the credit for the next wave of trades.

As Altman correctly said, "We were knocking on death's door" before his mid-season trades.

This is not to say Altman made great deals. But it is to say Irving's knee injury is a reality. And Hill and Nance have helped in the postseason.

The No. 8 pick and Zizic could pay off in the future.

Altman has a young front office as he's aided by Brock Aller, Jon Nichols, Tony Leotti and Mike Gansey.

These men still have to prove they can use the draft pick wisely, and they could face a huge challenge if James leaves.

But in the short term, their dealing helped the Cavs reach the NBA Finals.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the Cavs wont choke their balls off like the Rockets last night though...holy shit i couldve made 1 out of 20 three's.

well, no, but they won't need to choke, they'll just get out and out beat, straight-up

Black Adam

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cleveland Cavaliers: Taking another look at Kyrie Irving trade -- Terry Pluto

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Kyrie Irving won the Kyrie Irving trade.

He didn't want to play in the long shadow of LeBron James. As he told Cavs owner Dan Gilbert, he wanted to be "the focal point" of a franchise.

He became that in Boston, which is not just any franchise. The Celtics are iconic. Irving instantly became the "face of the franchise" that is legendary.

After three trips to the NBA Finals and one title, there is little doubt Irving enjoyed winning.

But he wanted more. He wanted to be mentioned along with Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook, Stephen Curry, James and other NBA superstars.

Would Irving have needed knee surgery had he remained with the Cavaliers?

We'll never know.

But there was something wrong with Irving's knee last summer when he demanded the Cavs trade him. According to a report by Cleveland.com's Joe Vardon, Irving threatened the Cavs with having knee surgery if they didn't trade him.

At first, it seemed like a power play.

But then Irving had not one but two surgeries this spring. They were done on the same knee he fractured in the 2015 NBA Finals.

The first surgery was to remove a wire in the knee. A second was to remove some screws in the knee that became infected.

His last game was on March 11

he Celtics are optimistic about their All-Star guard making a full recovery. But there has to be some concern about a player having three procedures on the same knee since 2015.

WHAT IF?

I'm going to assume Irving's knee would have had similar problems if he'd remained with the Cavs. That seems fair, given no traumatic injury such as a fall led to his current problems.

Would the Cavs have made a fourth consecutive trip to the NBA Finals without Irving -- or the players who came in later trades?

Let's think about it:

1. The Cavs originally received Isaiah Thomas, Jae Crowder, Ante Zizic and a draft pick that will be No. 8 in next month's 2018 NBA Draft.

2. Only Zizic and the pick remain with the Cavs. I like Zizic, the 6-foot-10 center, a long-term prospect. He scored 119 points in 214 minutes, shooting 73 percent from the field. He has a lot of savvy inside moves and is only 21.

3. If you connect all the deals made later, rookie general manager Koby Altman pulled off some trades that possibly saved the season and set up the climb to the 2018 NBA Finals.

4. Thomas was used as part of a trade to bring Larry Nance Jr. and Jordan Clarkson to the Cavs. Both are under contract for next season, which also is important

5. Thomas had hip surgery and there is a question mark about his future. He is a free agent.

6. Nance has had some very productive moments in the postseason. Clarkson was very good in the regular season, but has struggled in the playoffs.

7. The Cavs shipped Crowder and Derrick Rose to Utah. As part of the same deal, they sent Iman Shumpert to Sacracmento.

8. Those moves netted George Hill and Rodney Hood.

9. Hood has been a major disappointment. He seems lost with the Cavs and unhappy. He is a restricted free agent. Not sure if he will be back next season.

10. Hill is a veteran point guard. He fits in well with James. He is under contract for next season.

WHERE THE CAVS STAND

1. If the Cavs had kept Irving, they would not have him in the postseason.

2. If they kept Thomas, he also would not have played.

3. If Irving comes back strong, Boston made a good deal. But that knee has to be a concern.

4. Hill has been a key player for the Cavs in the postseason. Nance can rebound, defend and bring energy off the bench. They helped the Cavs reach The Finals.

5. Without all of these trades, it's likely another Eastern team besides the Cavs would have reached The Finals.

6. Dan Gilbert also deserves credit for adding about $10 million in luxury tax with those mid-season deals. They will pay about $50 million in tax and have a total payroll of $190 million -- second highest in NBA history according to ESPN's Brian Windhorst.

7. Once again, Gilbert made a major investment to help the Cavs and LeBron James return to The Finals.

8. James responded with perhaps the most epic postseason performance in his 15-year career. As time passed, he began to gain faith in his new teammates.

IN THE BACKGROUND

When Gilbert decided not to extend the contract of popular general manager David Griffin, the owner first tried to hire Chauncey Billups. The former Piston guard and current ESPN analyst turned down the job.

Griffin's assistant was Altman, who was running the team while Gilbert was trying to coax Billups into taking the job.

Finally, the owner gave it to Altman -- who was under tremendous pressure. At the age of 35, he was actually No. 3 in the front office -- behind Griffin and top assistant Trent Redden.

Redden left the Cavs with Griffin and now works for the Clippers.

Altman had to find a deal for Irving -- who made it harder by waiting until after the draft.

Then he had to make more trades when Thomas and Crowder failed to blend in with the team. Some of the blame for that has to fall to the front office.

But then so does some of the credit for the next wave of trades.

As Altman correctly said, "We were knocking on death's door" before his mid-season trades.

This is not to say Altman made great deals. But it is to say Irving's knee injury is a reality. And Hill and Nance have helped in the postseason.

The No. 8 pick and Zizic could pay off in the future.

Altman has a young front office as he's aided by Brock Aller, Jon Nichols, Tony Leotti and Mike Gansey.

These men still have to prove they can use the draft pick wisely, and they could face a huge challenge if James leaves.

But in the short term, their dealing helped the Cavs reach the NBA Finals.

holy writ of Habeas Corpus, Batman...!:eek:

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the Cavs wont choke their balls off like the Rockets last night though...holy shit i couldve made 1 out of 20 three's.

Do you feel the Celtics choked then?

Celtics shooting actually seemed worse, with less defense.

Durant was fantastic.
#timevindicates

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well, no, but they won't need to choke, they'll just get out and out beat, straight-up
its very possible-- but id rather see my team play hard and do everything they can to win rather than shit all over themselves and choke away what they worked so hard for.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its very possible-- but id rather see my team play hard and do everything they can to win rather than shit all over themselves and choke away what they worked so hard for.

of course, who wouldn't?

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i would think you Lakers fans would have caught all the fish by now.....there anything left in the lake?:lol:

Can people even fish in Lake Erie?
If so, they can cook them on the spot if it catches on fire again.

Black Adam

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like he’s already working on his multi thousand word concession speach.
The word “fun” will be used at least 50 times.

whoo, you ain't lyin'...

if i EVER go through a bout of insomnia, i saw the single post here guaranteed to put me, or anybody else for that matter, to sleep for 12 hours...

that man deserves a Nobel Prize...:pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound:

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can people even fish in Lake Erie?
If so, they can cook them on the spot if it catches on fire again.
LOL...what is your bitterness level right now?

how much does it burn your ass that the Cavs came back from down 0-2 and 3-2 to beat the Celtics?

it makes me so happy. :lol:

especially seeing as how without Tristan the Cavs lose the Pacers and Celtics series--- and to see your boy Whiteside have his ass stapled to the benchand the Heat lose in 5 even though they have a "better roster" than the Sixers.

I think its plain to see to anyone with eyeballs- Tristan owns that complaining whining fat ass. lol.