• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NBA Draft Lottery tonight

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a former UNLV season ticket holder I have some questions about McCaw. You've watched G.S. a lot more than I have this year.

How badly has he regressed this year? Looking @ his #'s he played & started fewer games this year than last. Although his #'s across the board dropped compared to his rookie year. And w/ him only appearing in 57 games (71 last year) was he injured @ all during the year?

The weird thing is he had a fantastic summer league this year. He was super aggressive and I think he averaged close to 20 a game. He was looking aggressive and confident and for some reason that seemed to all disappear as soon as the season started.

McCaw just looked like he floated around when he was on the court. If you didn't know he was specifically out there you wouldn't notice him at all during the course of the game. He was really passive and at one point lost all confidence in his shot. A few minor injuries contributed to him missing games here or there. He did float in and out of the rotation which didn't help rhythm wise, but at the same time he wasn't really deserving of those minutes. It came down to who the lesser of two evils in having to play him or Swaggy. Even defensively where he was supposed to shine, he was hit or miss really.

But to give full context here, basically at the end of the year when McCaw was getting minutes, our broadcasting team would literally praise him for not making a basket, but shooting the ball looking like he did it with confidence. "Even though he didn't make that, he shot it with confidence and that's what you like to see."

I think that pretty much sums up how he regressed.

Only bright spot for him towards the end of the year was he was finally starting to move more without the ball and utilize his dribble to take the ball to the basket. He started to use more back cuts and that freed him up in getting some easier looks.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The weird thing is he had a fantastic summer league this year. He was super aggressive and I think he averaged close to 20 a game. He was looking aggressive and confident and for some reason that seemed to all disappear as soon as the season started.

McCaw just looked like he floated around when he was on the court. If you didn't know he was specifically out there you wouldn't notice him at all during the course of the game. He was really passive and at one point lost all confidence in his shot. A few minor injuries contributed to him missing games here or there. He did float in and out of the rotation which didn't help rhythm wise, but at the same time he wasn't really deserving of those minutes. It came down to who the lesser of two evils in having to play him or Swaggy. Even defensively where he was supposed to shine, he was hit or miss really.

But to give full context here, basically at the end of the year when McCaw was getting minutes, our broadcasting team would literally praise him for not making a basket, but shooting the ball looking like he did it with confidence. "Even though he didn't make that, he shot it with confidence and that's what you like to see."

I think that pretty much sums up how he regressed.

Only bright spot for him towards the end of the year was he was finally starting to move more without the ball and utilize his dribble to take the ball to the basket. He started to use more back cuts and that freed him up in getting some easier looks.

Thanks for that breakdown. Well I hope he can regain whatever he's lost. And if your Warriors aren't interested in keeping him I hope another team give him a chance.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for that breakdown. Well I hope he can regain whatever he's lost. And if your Warriors aren't interested in keeping him I hope another team give him a chance.

My theory on him is that Andre Iguodala took him under his wing as a rookie. And I think Pat started to mold his game a bit after Andre. But the problem is two fold with that for Pat: 1) He hasn't established himself yet as an NBA player of that caliber 2) He's mirroring another player with the same skill set who does it much better on the same team.

Pat often times I think would be passive because he felt there were better scoring options on the court at the time, much like Andre does. But Andre is a play maker and with that second unit, you don't need two Andre's out there at the same time. You need Pat to be aggressive and try to score.

Pat didn't really develop his offensive game as he needed to. He went with the "fit in" role instead of trying to integrate himself within the offense. Pat should have known that coming into this season he would need to take on a larger role of scoring, especially after the departure of Ian Clark left a big gap there.

I still think there's potential for him based on his skill set and if the Warriors don't retain him, I would hope as you do that another team gives him a shot.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@shopson67

Isn't this the guy you were talking about a few months back?

Hmmmmmmm.....

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I agree that the comp is tougher in Europe than it is in college ... lack of athleticism is still lack of athleticism. He's not fast and doesn't have much of a vertical ... he's not going to be able to drive as easily with average foot speed and finishing at the rim won't be as easy as it is now in Europe with mediocre hops. I do think he'll be a solid player ... I just don't think he will ever be that top notch All Star. Probably the SG/SF version of a Toni Kukoc.

There are a few other recent superstars who haven't been that athletic either. Curry, Nash and even Harden. While very strong, Harden isn't all that fast.

What these guys have proven is that if you have shooting ability to force defenders to crowd you, and the ball handling skill to get them on their heels when they do, you can be an extremely dynamic offensive player without being a plus athlete.

Doncic might not live up to the hype, but I think you are vastly underrating his upside.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something about Bagley reminds me a little bit of Harrison Barnes--- very highly rated out of high school- great prospect- great athlete, but something seems to be missing.

There is absolutely no way Bagley makes it to 8 and the Cavs- id be SHOCKED if he made it out of the top 5- but I think hes one of the guys we look at 3-4 years down the road and see a solid player but not what you want in a high lotto pick.

Agreed.

I watched him a lot this year. He has all the talent in the world, but he did not seem to make Duke better at all. His defensive effort wasn't consistent and he might be more interested in his own production than he is in team success.

He could be a great NBA player. He has all the tools. But he could also be a more athletic and slightly better version of Jahlil Okafor.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yup. thats the one reason I am not happy about the kings drafting at 2 and playing hard next year. we want the Kings pick to be top 5 but I doubt it now

You know, I keep hearing that the Kings lick is unprotected but I believe it’s #1 protected. So if the Kings luck out in the lottery for a 3rd year in a row, Boston will get a late 1st rounder from the 76ers. Keeping my fingers crossed.

MikeMed

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,090.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well,

Doncic is 19 and playing against grown men. Much tougher competition than college basketball.

As for the assist numbers, they don't pad assists stats in Europe like they do here. Kid can pass. That is 100% certain.

The question is whether or not he will be able to defend effectively and whether he will be merely good, or great offensively. I think his floor is probably as a Goran Dragic type player, while his ceiling is somewhere on the Nash/Harden spectrum.

I was very impressed from what I saw.

To me he is not worth a 1-3rd overall pick.........Maybe they do pad assist stats more in the NBA than they do here but 4.5 APG is still a low number for a guard................He only shot 31% from 3 last season and while that number may go up you would like it to be where it needs to be now while playing in Europe cuz it aint going to be any easier getting off shots in the NBA...........Also the guy is not a physical player and AVG less than 5 rebounds per game last season in Europe........I know the kid has a ton of potential but there is a lot that he has to get better at against tougher competition.......

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me he is not worth a 1-3rd overall pick.........Maybe they do pad assist stats more in the NBA than they do here but 4.5 APG is still a low number for a guard................He only shot 31% from 3 last season and while that number may go up you would like it to be where it needs to be now while playing in Europe cuz it aint going to be any easier getting off shots in the NBA...........Also the guy is not a physical player and AVG less than 5 rebounds per game last season in Europe........I know the kid has a ton of potential but there is a lot that he has to get better at against tougher competition.......

Out of all of that, the only thing slightly concerning to me is the 3 point percentage. That is a legit concern because if he is not a knock down shooter, defenses can play him like Rubio and he won't be able to separate.

Ickey Shuffle

Do you have a minute to talk about Joe Burrow?
Supporting Member Level 1
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Suns better not try and be cute. Just pick Ayton and be on your way.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are a few other recent superstars who haven't been that athletic either. Curry, Nash and even Harden. While very strong, Harden isn't all that fast.

All those guys have special qualities though ... Nash had arguably the best court vision of any player I have ever seen along with top notch IQ. Curry has a lightening quick release along with unreal shooting range. Harden is tremendously strong and plays with masterful balance. Does Doncic have that extra special quality about him to compensate for his average athleticism which would help him become a superstar? I keep watching his highlight clips and I keep seeing a ton of slow footed, bad defenders guarding him. I understand the overall skill level in Europe is better than college ball here as they are older and more experienced ... but the perimeter Defense from what I see is bad and lackadaisical over there. Rarely from the clips have I seen him challenged defensively by lanky, athletic types ... I keep seeing him guarded by Vinny Del ***** clones who play defense like they are on skates.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@shopson67

Isn't this the guy you were talking about a few months back?

Hmmmmmmm.....

Yep, and he's another enigma (even more than Porter) in this draft. So much is going to be based on his high school play, as he didn't play college ball this year and is now opting out of the combine. Team workouts are going to be huge.

If he's doing this to evade medical concerns, it's not going to work. Teams with no access will let him slide.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bamba's wingspan measured at 7'10" at the combine today. Wow.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know, I keep hearing that the Kings lick is unprotected but I believe it’s #1 protected. So if the Kings luck out in the lottery for a 3rd year in a row, Boston will get a late 1st rounder from the 76ers. Keeping my fingers crossed.

• 1st round pick – 76ers
  • 1st round pick – Kings (If Boston does not get the Lakers pick in 2018, they will get the better of the Sixers or Kings pick in 2019, assuming the better pick isn’t #1 overall. If it is #1 overall, they will get the lesser pick)

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
maybe a top 10 but agreed, not a top 5

You never know. The Kings tend to defy logic at times, and have bad luck otherwise. That #2 pick is so important that whiffing on it could really throw the franchise into turmoil (and cost some jobs).

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not like the Celtics need another top 5 pick next year anyway, they have enough good young players/assets as it is. But there's always a chance the Kings could be really bad despite things looking up for them right now. Even with Doncic/Ayton and possibly a big FA signing I don't expect them in the playoffs so it'd still be a lottery pick.

I'm curious as to how they will handle the minutes for everyone that has earned them while the key starters have been out. What is the depth chart with everyone healthy? Who is going to want out after losing minutes next season? A loaded roster is a great thing until money and egos start complicating it.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doncic being coy about whether he will come to the NBA next year..

Doncic unsure if he'll join NBA next season
So basically, I'm gonna force myself to the Team I want to play for or I'm staying overseas.

The Kobe Bryant method....

@Bolts beware.

Not sure f the Peja/Vlade connection is enough to outweigh prior dysfunction.

Just don't pick the next Kerry Kittles instead like the Nets did.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So basically, I'm gonna force myself to the Team I want to play for or I'm staying overseas.

The Kobe Bryant method....

@Bolts beware.

Not sure f the Peja/Vlade connection is enough to outweigh prior dysfunction.

Just don't pick the next Kerry Kittles instead like the Nets did.

I'm curious as to what team he thinks he could go to that would be preferable, if that is his motivation.