• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NBA Busts

Based off of history, do big men or guards bust more often when they're really hyped and taken with

• Big Men

• Guards

• Equal

• Tater Salad

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mike A. S.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based off of history, do big men or guards bust more often when they're really hyped and taken with a top pick or two in the NBA Draft?

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bigs

Anthony Bennett
Greg Oden
Kwame Brown
Sam Bowie

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if a (true) guard taken with the top pick has ever busted, but Fultz could be the first...

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's plenty of busts at every position. There were just a lot of busts in the 80's/90's at center because if you had a dominant center then you were pretty much a lock for the playoffs. In today's game The Pelicans had two of the best big men in the league and they were just a little bit above average.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if a (true) guard taken with the top pick has ever busted, but Fultz could be the first...

There have only been 5 guards drafted No. 1 overall in the past 30 years. 4 in the last 10 years so clearly the trends are changing.

Centers inherently offer the most risk and reward of any position because if they can transition to the modern game they can be absolutely dominant night in and night out. But it's a big if.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There have only been 5 guards drafted No. 1 overall in the past 30 years. 4 in the last 10 years so clearly the trends are changing.

Centers inherently offer the most risk and reward of any position because if they can transition to the modern game they can be absolutely dominant night in and night out. But it's a big if.

They are also (seemingly) a bigger health risk. Although I don’t have the data for it.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are also (seemingly) a bigger health risk. Although I don’t have the data for it.

More weight and strain on knees, feet, and back. Add in the physicality of the modern NBA and all the jumping (and landing) as a big man rebounding with contact to alter balance and injuries are tough to avoid. Plus, the freakishly big/tall often suffer from health issues even without sports to complicate matters.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More weight and strain on knees, feet, and back. Add in the physicality of the modern NBA and all the jumping (and landing) as a big man rebounding with contact to alter balance and injuries are tough to avoid. Plus, the freakishly big/tall often suffer from health issues even without sports to complicate matters.

Exactly.

Like i said, I don't have the data, but that's basically it.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say bigs for the reasons already stated. They seem to be more injury prone, the game has changed, so while a "back to the basket" big can be dominant in college (leading some NBA teams to take him early in the draft), but if his game doesn't fit the modern NBA, he'll bust.

I have a hard time saying that a player whose career was ended or diminished due to injury is a bust.

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Size doesn't have the influence that it used to.

Look at Anthony Davis, the guy puts up Shaq like numbers but his team has gotten out of the first round once. And his supporting cast ain't bad.

It's more of a team game these days. The only exception is LeBron because the way he plays ... he's like a whole team.

The 1st pick also doesn't have as much value IMO these days because one person doesn't have enough influence.

I actually love the way the game has evolved, but hate the fact the Warriors fucked it up for the NBA.

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. There is also the issue that they are drafted high simply because they are tall. Not necessarily good players. 7 footers are like left-handers in baseball. You can always find a job

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3