• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Nah

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was gonna make a game thread, but was late and kings down 1 already....quick getting run at every play...good thing the game is faster and there is no need for someone who can take care of that

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched the dodgers game instead
Plenty of chances to watch the Kings struggle and lose
Sigh

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was gonna make a game thread, but was late and kings down 1 already....quick getting run at every play...good thing the game is faster and there is no need for someone who can take care of that

I have mentioned the same thing over and over as the years have gone by since the Cup wins, with certain guys moving on one way or another (Regehr, Mitchell, Richards, Greene, etc.) this team has gotten soft.

I'm not saying revert to the Broad Street Bullies but there needs to be a reputation established that the Kings will play fair and clean but you cross that line and there will be repercussions. The second wave of "leaders" like Toffoli, Pearson, etc. are not built this way mentally, as is most of the roster. They either lack that mentality or aren't coniofdent enough to play that way yet because of lack of experience.

Currently the only one on the roster who has that mindset is Phaneuf, and that isn't enough. I guess Kempe could be added to Phaneuf, he plays balls to the walls and has a bit of nasty in him, but he doesn't know when to reel it in because his ill timed penalties are killing the team.

That reputation disappeared with some of the replacement personnel that has been brought in over the years. You can also tell that the team chemistry, unity and closeness has disappeared significantly.

These guys used to go through the wall for each other, now it doesn't seem like that. Age and skill deterioration has something to do with that of course but I find it hard to believe it has left altogether. Something internally is going on with this team.

Ideally it would be nice to have players who have that mindset and have some skill and speed, but that is unrealistic considering they are very hard to come by and even if they were, the current cap and depth/asset situation will make it very difficult to happen. However, they have gone beyond that fine line/balance of skill, toughness and speed to pretty much being a wimpy team.

This brings me back to the identity comment I made in another thread, this team seriously has none. Offensive? Nope. Defensive? Nope. Tough to play against? Nope. Then WTF are you????

This falls on both Blake (yes he inherited a mess but he doubled down on Kovalchuk instead of maybe retooling a little and using that cap space better) and Stevens (it's becoming more and more evident that he may be in over his head. Strategy, roster management, proper deployment of personnel, you name it he is struggling with it) and needs to be corrected ASAP or this will be one of the most disastrous seasons in Kings history.

The Kings played better last night than in the previous 4-5 games, but a moral victory is not what they need right now. They need points and results and fast.

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NHL is all about speed now. I do t mind grinders, but they need to be able to keep up. Not many guys in this team are going to be able to do that.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brown looked great. Felt a different energy on the team, BUT it was against the Rangers. Did make me slightly happy to see Martinez put one past Lundqvist in the final moments to flashback to the glory of 4 years ago.

No one in the Pacific looks too dominant, so who knows what could happen if LA gets a few wins together, but they went ahead on dug a massive hole already.

So we'll see.

On an related note, Kings tix are very affordable on Stubhub.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brown did look good, and his return definitely changed the vibe of the team.

He did what he did last season, went to the front and created havoc (he abandoned that between 2012-17, which is why his numbers went into the toilet. He is not overly skilled and will not be scoring goals often from 25 feet out, he is a blue paint guy), I'm hoping that rubs off on Pearson who was so good at that last season but seems like a timid player this season. Big 180º from what he did last season and it should be concerning at this stage of his career. I wouldn't be surprised to see him moved by next summer if he doesn't pick it up here.

As noted however, it was the NY Rangers, who went into self-rebuild last season but the Kings needed 2 and they got it. The Pacific is very weak this season so the Kings do have a shot but they need to string together some wins on this home stand. If they don't finish at least with 9-10 points in the 7 games (.643 - .714 WP%), I think we will see some serious changes with Thanksgiving approaching - teams generally make any changes then. They have to close the gap because they are so far down the hole already.

Thursday's game against the Flyers is of interest, Stevens was their HC from 2009-2010 and compiled a 120-109-34 record (.521 WP%) a little over 3 full years as coach. In 2007-08 he took them to the ECFs (42-29-11, .580 WP%) and lost, in 2008-09 they lost in the ECQFs (44-27-11, .604 WP%) and 25 games into 2009-10 they were treading water (13-11-1, .540 WP%) and was let go. He then was hired here in summer 2010.

His results were inconsistent as you can see, but overall not too bad. I think he got a pass last season here in LA but this season he won't. The roster has some solid but older talent, he needs to get some wins under his belt or he won't be here after the home stand if not sooner depending on how the Kings perform.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah pretty much agree with everything there. I was looking at the home schedule and they really are only 2-2-1 so far (But 1-5 on the road. Yeesh). So let's see what this team decides to do in the next 4 games for sure. They looked atrocious, but it's amazing what a win can do for you.

36 more home games left, so we shall see.