• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mystery Science Theater 3000 (MST3K)

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really liked Return of the Sith and though Clones was ok. I didn't expect much from the Phantom Menace so I wasn't all that disappointed. The last one was ok.

Phantom Menace is turrble. In fact...I need to go to the worst movies thread now. :heh:

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Cyder The latest one actually pissed me off.

After the shit they put out for the prequels, I expected more than just a carbon copy of IV.

It was way too much like VI. Han and Chewie, along with a force strong but untrained teen break into the most highly guarded facility in the galaxy and destroy a super weapon just in time to save the good guys.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phantom Menace is turrble. In fact...I need to go to the worst movies thread now. :heh:

I wasn't that bad. But there's definitely a reason they didn't make it first. The light saber battle at the end was solid.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was way too much like VI. Han and Chewie, along with a force strong but untrained teen break into the most highly guarded facility in the galaxy and destroy a super weapon just in time to save the good guys.

It was pretty much identical.

Irritates me thinking about it.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't that bad. But there's definitely a reason they didn't make it first. The light saber battle at the end was solid.

Anakin, Natalie Portman and Jar Jar were unbearable tho. I really didn't care for it.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I still enjoyed it. But I got stoned and brought a bottle of vodka. Saw it 1pm the first day with a buddy. It was just me and him in the theater with maybe 3 people sitting behind us. I picked a rich Jewish neighborhood. Those people don't take their kids out of school for shit. Every other theater was mobbed

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anakin, Natalie Portman and Jar Jar were unbearable tho. I really didn't care for it.

Portman was terrible throughout the entire thing. I've liked her in other things but she fubarred that shit big time.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:bump:

MST3K Is Headed to Netflix!

tumblr_l7qse5wJZ31qaqggd.gif

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Always like MST3K. I miss those good old days. This may be the kick in the pants I need to get Netflix.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The character backstories weren't the same, so I wouldn't say 'identical', but Disney was definitely trying to play up to the nostalgia factor. I didn't see that as a bad thing, seeing as how awful the prequels were.

Rey, for instance, doesn't compare to Luke at all in my mind. She didn't have a master training her, she spent her whole life as a scavenger and not living on a farm with her dear old aunt and uncle.

Anyway, don't wanna get too off topic.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The character backstories weren't the same, so I wouldn't say 'identical', but Disney was definitely trying to play up to the nostalgia factor. I didn't see that as a bad thing, seeing as how awful the prequels were.

Rey, for instance, doesn't compare to Luke at all in my mind. She didn't have a master training her, she spent her whole life as a scavenger and not living on a farm with her dear old aunt and uncle.

Anyway, don't wanna get too off topic.
It wasn't identical, but it was basically the same movie...

Young, late teen/early twenties force sensitive kid emerges on a distant desert planet.

Said kid teams up with friend with a questionable past.

Said kid teams up with Han and Chewie.

Said kid teams up with an older figure who becomes a mentor.

Mentor character gets killed by baddie force user wearing all black outfit with black helmet/mask.

Main baddie is controlled by a mysterious master (possibly a force user).

Main objective is to destroy a planet/moon sized base that has the ability to destroy planets.

Not identical, but it certainly comes from the same coloring book.

Think McFly Think

Unaware and Oblivious Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently the remake trend is still in full force but I didn't really expect this show to be remade. I'm about to give it a chance but I am very skeptical heading into it. @beardown07 did you know about this? I recall you being a huge fan of the original.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently the remake trend is still in full force but I didn't really expect this show to be remade. I'm about to give it a chance but I am very skeptical heading into it. @beardown07 did you know about this? I recall you being a huge fan of the original.

Overflowing awesomeness....

I'll watch it. They've had character changes before and the bots voices have changed before too.

I liked Mike better than Joel, but that's just cuz of his delivery. Joel is the creative force behind it, and as long as he's still involved it should be great.

Think McFly Think

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overflowing awesomeness....

I'll watch it. They've had character changes before and the bots voices have changed before too.

I liked Mike better than Joel, but that's just cuz of his delivery. Joel is the creative force behind it, and as long as he's still involved it should be great.
Yeah, I watched the first episode and it was pretty good. I'm also aware of the character changes in the original show with Pearl replacing Dr. Forrester and Frank, and Trace Bielieu (sp) not voicing Crow anymore. I liked Mike and Joel both. One of the refreshing things about this rendition is hearing modern references applied to these bad movies. I'm just glad it wasn't a complete hackjob from such original classic material.

Think McFly Think

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, was not aware of this thread. Will contribute when applicable.:clap:

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching ep.1 right now.

Mystie from way back. Love the show, and this new incarnation is true to its predecessors. Damn funny.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh. MST3K was counter cultural back in the day. It was one of the only shows to laugh at Hollywood in a way that dug right into their overblown egos.

And now they want to revive it with this racist shit ball Patton Oswald? How's that gonna work?