• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My Take on the Nash Rumors and the Flyers

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
....as far as the Flyers are concerned Nash would be like getting a Mercedes to park next to your Jaguar. Another expensive performer that doesn't fill the overall need.

However, considering the teams that are seriously being linked to the Nash saga and what they are said to be dangling...this is where the Flyers and their relationship with the Blue Jackest gets interesting.

Undoubtedly part of the Nash package is going to be a defenseman or two. A defenseman that the Flyers would not be able to pry away from their current team without taking a big hit. However they may be able to make a trade with Columbus for a "reduced rate" so that Howson can show overal bodies/assetts returned for Nash.

This would explain some of the Howson/Holmgren lengthy meetings recently. So, that is how I see the Flyers fitting in to the Nash scenario...

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
....as far as the Flyers are concerned Nash would be like getting a Mercedes to park next to your Jaguar. Another expensive performer that doesn't fill the overall need.

However, considering the teams that are seriously being linked to the Nash saga and what they are said to be dangling...this is where the Flyers and their relationship with the Blue Jackest gets interesting.

Undoubtedly part of the Nash package is going to be a defenseman or two. A defenseman that the Flyers would not be able to pry away from their current team without taking a big hit. However they may be able to make a trade with Columbus for a "reduced rate" so that Howson can show overal bodies/assetts returned for Nash.

This would explain some of the Howson/Holmgren lengthy meetings recently. So, that is how I see the Flyers fitting in to the Nash scenario...

honestly i think howson was at that game to scout rangers players.. not flyers players.. and howson and homer probably just met to talk about their prior trade see how they were liking it, talk if there were any players either of them were interested in, and perhaps some opinions about guys on the rangers team

nash wont be a flyer. i'll make my avatar chris pronger with a heart around it for the rest of time if nash ends up on the flyers.

the flyers dont have the money for him, and they dont need him. (the trade would start with bob though, not a d-man.. IMO)

and i'm not exactly sure what you mean by a reduced rate haha

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Philly needs Nash either. However if they were to inquire a deal would probably start with Briere due to Nash's contract. I don't think the Flyers should consider Nash an option.

Holmgren needs to acquire a defenseman.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Philly needs Nash either. However if they were to inquire a deal would probably start with Briere due to Nash's contract. I don't think the Flyers should consider Nash an option.

Holmgren needs to acquire a defenseman.

i agree that from the flyers side they'd have to move briere to make it work, but no way briere (NMC) allows a trade to columbus

jerseyjigroe

Experience Quality Trust
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't even know why we're talking about Nash. If Homer trades for a forward (especially a super high priced one) I will be pissed.

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
.....sigh......

My point was that the Flyers were not in on Nash so much as in on what might be moving through Columbus as part of any Nash trade. I agree that Howson was more than likely scouting the Rangers...

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
.....sigh......

My point was that the Flyers were not in on Nash so much as in on what might be moving through Columbus as part of any Nash trade. I agree that Howson was more than likely scouting the Rangers...

mm totally not how i read that haha

you're saying that the flyers should go after the dman that will (most likely) be part of the nash deal if it were to happen

i cant really think of anyone the flyers dont trade with.. just a pure example off my head.. what youre saying is, say the habs traded for nash, and part of the deal was hal gil, you're saying it might be easier to get hal gil from the BJs than from the habs?

that i could see

PhillyPhaithful48

Pickles will Prevail
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

More like adding a Bentley to a garage full of Audi's

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This has been very slow this season as far as rumors go. I have not heard much on the Flyers except they are trying to pursue a fucking dman. Well, at this point who is available that is actually going to help us in the postseason? Like i have read recently, maybe we should be sellers rather than buyers. Come offseason, address the defense with real talent for long term. Focus on shedding the salary from the higher paid vets ( Briere, Carle). Get solid picks and draft a dman in the 1st round. Larrson would have been nice, but I'm very happy with the pick of Cooter. Just my thought.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This has been very slow this season as far as rumors go. I have not heard much on the Flyers except they are trying to pursue a fucking dman. Well, at this point who is available that is actually going to help us in the postseason? Like i have read recently, maybe we should be sellers rather than buyers. Come offseason, address the defense with real talent for long term. Focus on shedding the salary from the higher paid vets ( Briere, Carle). Get solid picks and draft a dman in the 1st round. Larrson would have been nice, but I'm very happy with the pick of Cooter. Just my thought.

We dont need to sell to draft in the first round. From my understanding we could have the 30th pick this year and still have a fairly solid choice.

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There is something to be said for that, and not a bad something. The problem is that it would require Holmgren and Snider admitting that this team is not going to win the cup this year (barring miracles). That is something they wouldn't admit until after eliminated...and even then might not. But the idea of shedding some salary cap for long term assets and draft picks...has some merit. I think Briere is the most obvious, may not bring as much return as you would think. Carle would be a pure rental for whomever gets him, but would instantly be the best defenseman being dangled. Really other than Shelley and Lilja there isn't much old wood to dump....

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is something to be said for that, and not a bad something. The problem is that it would require Holmgren and Snider admitting that this team is not going to win the cup this year (barring miracles). That is something they wouldn't admit until after eliminated...and even then might not. But the idea of shedding some salary cap for long term assets and draft picks...has some merit. I think Briere is the most obvious, may not bring as much return as you would think. Carle would be a pure rental for whomever gets him, but would instantly be the best defenseman being dangled. Really other than Shelley and Lilja there isn't much old wood to dump....

Honestly, Homer and Snider both know this team is not a SC team. There's no shame to fail what was suppose to be a big year. Sell and shed high salary and get young prospects. A couple of guys I love off hand and I know this team would take him back right away. That team would be Buffalo taking Briere back. Guys from their minor league team I really like are McNabb, Finley, Casian. That's just one team. I'm sure plenty of teams would jump on board for Briere. However, Btiere has a history of success in the playoffs. That's where Homer and Snider have to realize one guy isn't going to win it all. See what the return would be. Again, this is just my opinion.

KS32790

SHOOOOOOOOOT IT !!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, Homer and Snider both know this team is not a SC team. There's no shame to fail what was suppose to be a big year. Sell and shed high salary and get young prospects. A couple of guys I love off hand and I know this team would take him back right away. That team would be Buffalo taking Briere back. Guys from their minor league team I really like are McNabb, Finley, Casian. That's just one team. I'm sure plenty of teams would jump on board for Briere. However, Btiere has a history of success in the playoffs. That's where Homer and Snider have to realize one guy isn't going to win it all. See what the return would be. Again, this is just my opinion.

Philly will NEVER embrace a player whose name is MCNABB

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Briere would have a pretty ig group involved imo(Buffalo, Nash, StL, Tor, Fla, Minn, Phx, Ana, the Isleshell even La possibly) if he agreed to waive his NTC to a contending team there is more then enough interest to ignite a mini-bidding war and walk out with a good return. He does hold the potential to be a # 1 center and huge offensive catalyst, he just isn't doing that here this year which screams change of scenery to me. I would realistically see him bringing in a pick and a prospect.

For example if we traded Briere to Nashville who desperately needs scoring & has an abundance of young defensive men I could see us getting either Prospect Ryan Ellis Player Profile - Hockey's Future or Prospect Jonathon Blum Player Profile - Hockey's Future and a 1st out of them for Briere(we may have to throw a 3rd in to equal it out though.

If we look at a team like TOR then I think we could target Prospect Cody Franson Player Profile - Hockey's Future or Prospect Jake Gardiner Player Profile - Hockey's Future & a 1st(again we may have to throw in a third.

Last example I'll use is StL who desperately needs help scoring I think Prospect Alex Pietrangelo Player Profile - Hockey's Future orhttp://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/keith_shattenkirk would be the targets(again I would try to get a 1st thrown in even if I gave up a 2nd/3rd here).

For Carle I think the return is much clearer you start with a 1st and a young rfa roster player preferably a d-man and you settle either the first or a a good rfa if you can't get you're asking price.

I'd throw Bryz on the market too and see if I could get him to waive because you can see how this city is wearing on him now, if hw as up for it asking price starts at a 1st, top tier prospect and we'll take salary back in the form of the other teams goalie or a pending ufa.

I know that not all these moves will or could happen, but if they somehow got made we'd have received 1-2 1st, prob a 2nd, 1-1 prospect(at least 1 d) & a back-up oalie for bob while freeing up 15.5m in cap space, meaning we can rebuild this team in the image of every year being a cup year. It will take extremely good cap management and trading player at the proper time to achieve this for mre then 3-4 year, but I think this is the direction the front office wanted to go in anyway with the departures of Richie and Carter.

Again this is just my $0.02 and I'd love to hear your thought and get some feedback since you're the only fans I know educated enough to really have these discussions with.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO I wouldn't be pulling the plug heck they are sitting in a playoff position! You also need some vet presence to teach the young guns. Add a PK dman to stabilize the group and see what happens. If anything you give the young guys some playoff experience so that they are even better prepared in coming years.

At the same time if someone comes after a guy like Carle or Briere hard and you can fill their roles with a few stop gaps this year it may be too tempting to turn away from. So I get your angle but I wouldn't be just blowing up this team at this stage especially when they are a few tweaks from being right in the mix. Its just too bad that Pronger went down otherwise they'd have everything that they need just maybe a lack of experience from the young guys....

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want to blow the team up, I want to make moves that make sense for the future. It's either that or we auction off our future for a slightly improved shot at a cup this year going after big name guys and giving up our youngsters. It's simple long term planning in my eyes, the kids need more experience and fuck veteran leadership that is the biggest crock of shit I've had to listen to as to why Briere needs to stay. G, Harts, Talbot, Schenn, Timo & Simmonds have been leading this team lately(or at least trying to). My point is the price for players will be very high this year and if we're not 100% sure we can at least get to the SCF why not cash in and start filling the holes for next year. Hell if you make these trades the team would prob be better this year and able to make more noise in the playoffs imo.