• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My first auction league draft ever

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well — it was ridiculously long (draft took 6 hours). It is a 20 team H2H league, standard scoring. $260 to draft with.

I had a strategy going into the draft, but it was crazy the bidding going on when the draft started. Guys like Sale and Scherzer were going for 65-70. I tried waiting out the first wave of monster spending — I spent 49 on my top two guys (Nola and Harper)

Here is what I ended up with.

C - Jansen
1B - Tyler White/CJ Cron
2B - Gurriel Jr
SS - Segura
3B - Candelario/Sano
OF - Bryce Harper
OF - Braun
OF - Eloy Jiminez
OF - Christin Stewart (we only start 3 OF)

SP - Aaron Nola
SP - Strasburg
SP - German Marquez
SP - Julio Teheran
SP - Dallas Kuechel
SP - Michael Fulmer

RP - Edwin Diaz
RP - Craig Kimbrel

Overall — I don’t think I did too bad for my first auction draft, but missed out on a lot of guys I wanted on offense.
Got some bargains on guys who have yet to sign with a team, like Kimbrel. Top closers were going for 28-30. I got Kimbrel for 11.

Missed out on so many first basemen, but was happy to get both Cron and White for a dollar.

I wanted to come out of the draft with a solid Pitching staff and RP’s. Would have done a few things different, but overall I’m fine with it being my first auction. Need Kimbrel and Keuchel to sign soon though

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you did excellent.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you did excellent.

I took a shot on Kimbrel — hoping someone pulls the trigger and signs him sooner rather than later.

Plus, with Eloy, I have to hope the White Sox bring him up on the 12th of April.

Overall, I think I did pretty good, especially since I had to change my philosophy a half dozen times during the draft when players I wanted went for more than I was willing to spend. You don’t realize how much the difficulty goes up when you go from 10-12 teams to a 20 team league. Guys would have 6,7,8 guys in a bidding war. It was entertaining though.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe try and move Sano for an OF?

Kimbrel will sign somewhere.

Some of us here are in a 30 team league. Not an auction though. That is a challenge for sure.