• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My COLD smoked salmon recipe

Mr. Tacoma

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This will produced northern European style lox.

You'll need a 3-4 pound king salmon filet, skin on, bone out. Place it skin side down in a container big enough to hold it without folding it.

Prepare the cure by mixing these:

1 cup canning/pickling salt
1 cup light brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp crushed juniper berries
1 1/2 tsp crushed pink peppercorns (black is fine but it will leave specks, use pink if you can for appearance)
1/8 cup dry red wine (merlot or pinot noir)
1/8 cup Meyer's rum (Don't be a cheap-ass, get Meyers. Don't use Bacardi or some shit.)

When mixed it should be like a slushy paste. Go ahead and pour it over the salmon. Cover the container with plastic wrap and put it in the fridge and let it cure for 10 hours. Don't skimp, plan ahead. 10 hours! Remove it from the fridge and lightly rinse off any remaining salt or sugar crystals. Pat it dry with paper towels then put it in a large ziploc bag. Squeeze as much air out as you can without damaging the fish and put it in the fridge for 48 hours. Yes a full 48 hours, no less.

Now the salmon is cured and ready to rock. Honestly you could slice and eat it as is but let's smoke the bastard first.

You'll need to cold smoke this. That means no more than 85 degrees. In my smoker I get the wood smoking good then I cut the heat and place a bowl of ice between the wood and the rack the fish is on. It seems to work well. As with all types of smoked salmon, I recommend cedar.

You'll need to cold smoke for at least 3 hours. I recommend wood chunks rather than chips because they go for a while and you can get new ones going outside the smoker and add them as you need them rather than heating the smoker itself. You're not trying to cook the salmon, just smoke it.

There you go. Master that and you can make lox that rivals the finest Norwegian or Scottish smoked salmon that money can buy.

Good luck! :suds:

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you're making me hungry, sounds tasty.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Told my wife I was gonna try this recipe this weekend. Weather permitting, still plan to :suds:

Mr. Tacoma

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Told my wife I was gonna try this recipe this weekend. Weather permitting, still plan to :suds:

Give it a shot! It's really easy. This one is different from my hot smoked recipe though. This one is bagels and lox style, the other one is cooked.