• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mulan (2020) (live-action remake)

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a pretty big deal I said back when I wouldn't be surprised with a big budgeted movie had their release on a streaming platform as opposed to theatrical release. Then COVID happened now it looks like the waters are being tested.

We have come a long way from buying bootleg movies from a street vender trying to record a movie with a camera asking if its good quality only to watch people get up from their seats while watching the movie.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a pretty big deal I said back when I wouldn't be surprised with a big budgeted movie had their release on a streaming platform as opposed to theatrical release. Then COVID happened now it looks like the waters are being tested.

We have come a long way from buying bootleg movies from a street vender trying to record a movie with a camera asking if its good quality only to watch people get up from their seats while watching the movie.
It's a big deal because these live action movies of cartoons that Disney has been spitting out have grossed a billion. Now what is Disney's net on that is another story and that is the story that is being tested. If Disney comes close to the net and is able to pick up subscribers on their streaming service then theaters are in big trouble.

They are already talking about if this is successful they might roll Black Widow out as well.

My guess is people will jump on board at first but if this becomes a thing it will fall out quickly and people will just wait until it's offered on the service free.

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Theater owner reacts to Disney announcing release of Mulan via streaming:

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a big deal because these live action movies of cartoons that Disney has been spitting out have grossed a billion. Now what is Disney's net on that is another story and that is the story that is being tested. If Disney comes close to the net and is able to pick up subscribers on their streaming service then theaters are in big trouble.

They are already talking about if this is successful they might roll Black Widow out as well.

My guess is people will jump on board at first but if this becomes a thing it will fall out quickly and people will just wait until it's offered on the service free.

You are spot on if Mulan is successful they will make a killing when they start making their Marvel movies exclusive to Disney plus

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean if they don't bash men in this at least 10x and say how women are powerful and strong at least 5 times... this just wont do it for me.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hope it flops. Trying to set the precedence now that not only should you pay for a subscription but putting content behind a second paywall is absolutely ridiculous.

It was already a movie no one wanted or asked for.

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hope it flops. Trying to set the precedence now that not only should you pay for a subscription but putting content behind a second paywall is absolutely ridiculous.

It was already a movie no one wanted or asked for.

Theaters were also a second paywall. All they're doing here is shifting the release to home instead of the theaters; either way, there is a price to watch the film at release.

There's a lot of demand for these live-action remakes from families with kids. The recent Disney live-action remakes have been huge blockbusters.

Last edited:

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Theaters were also a second paywall. All they're doing here is shifting the release to home instead of the theaters; either way, there is a price to watch the film at release.

There's a lot of demand for these live-action remakes from families with kids. The recent Disney live-action remakes have been huge blockbusters.
Purely because they feed off of nostalgia. Not because they are good.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Purely because they feed off of nostalgia. Not because they are good.
No its because kids like to go to movies and it's cheaper and less risky to take an existing product and recycle it. Kids movies typically make money if done right but if you make the movie somewhat interesting to adults then it typically does extremely well because it isn't absolutely painful to take the kids. That is the secret sauce.

These live-action cartoon remakes have been doing a billion in box office receipts. That is on par with Star Wars and Avenger Movies and easy money for Disney.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's free on Disney plus right now.

It also really sucks

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It actually was pretty good i thought. Storyline well done

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a good 'American' version of Mulan and many good, authentic Chinese versions I'm sure. This one just comes off as: