• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mt Rushmore

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We discuss this every now and then, and I just saw this discussion on another site...

Who is on the SF Giants Mt Rushmore?

For me it is...

Willie Mays
Bruce Bochy
Willie McCovey
Buster Posey

Honorable Mention

Barry Bonds
Will Clark
Juan Marichal
Tim Lincecum
Madison Bumgarner

Is there anyone else who should be at least on the HM list? Maybe Matt Cain? Robby Thompson? Gaylord Perry? Rod Beck? Robb Nen? Hum Baby?

Is Posey a stretch to make it to the top 4? Is McCovey STILL a top 4 with the success that the team has had recently? Is Thrill still an HM name?

Band of Brothers

A Dreamer...trying to find my way home for dinner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marichal is a HOF player and still deserves to be on Rushmore. No Bochy or Posey just yet.

Right now...

Mays

McCovey

Bonds

Marichal

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marichal is a HOF player and still deserves to be on Rushmore. No Bochy or Posey just yet.

Right now...

Mays

McCovey

Bonds

Marichal

Certainly your list can not be disputed. This is one of the great things about being a Giants fan. We could actually have a Mt Rushmore of Mt Rushmores.

However, for me, 3 rings is HUGE. Posey OWNS this team right now. He is the glue of the pitching staff and is our #3/#4 hitter. League wide, he is viewed as the current Derek Jeter. He was a leader in the clubhouse during his rookie year while winning the orgs first championship in 50+ years. How he cannot be on a Mt Rushmore is beyond me.

Marichal was a stud, flat out. No argument. His inclusion is by no means laughable. It can be easily defended. But how can you have a Mt Rushmore without any representatives from the greatest era in team history?

Mays is a no-brainer. He gets SERIOUS consideration for an MLB Mt Rushmore, and probably makes most lists. Stretch would be an organizational icon for just about any org in the game, no matter how storied their past. If he were a Yankee, he would be in consideration.

Bonds is a tough case, though. His numbers are unequaled by ANYONE, EVER. Ignore the whole PEDs thing, and he is BETTER than Mays. That is not debatable. He is better than RUTH. That is not debatable. The problem, though, is that the stink of PEDs DOES exist. He was also a prickly fuck. And he has no rings to get over the hump (he should get a ring this year, but that doesn't count).

For me, we are only talking bout 2 places since Mays and Mac hold two spots already. Boch is the man who has baffled 3 HOF managers in the last 5 years on his way to building this dynasty (Cox, LaRussa and Leyland). Posey gets my other spot based one what I said above.

Again, I don't think anyone can present a bad Mt Rushmore if they look at this seriously, so yours is good too.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We discuss this every now and then, and I just saw this discussion on another site...

Who is on the SF Giants Mt Rushmore?

For me it is...

Willie Mays
Bruce Bochy
Willie McCovey
Buster Posey

Honorable Mention

Barry Bonds
Will Clark
Juan Marichal
Tim Lincecum
Madison Bumgarner

Is there anyone else who should be at least on the HM list? Maybe Matt Cain? Robby Thompson? Gaylord Perry? Rod Beck? Robb Nen? Hum Baby?

Is Posey a stretch to make it to the top 4? Is McCovey STILL a top 4 with the success that the team has had recently? Is Thrill still an HM name?

I think McCovey is a "Stretch" to make it to the top 4.

:whistle:

Band of Brothers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is this the SF Rushmore or does NY count too?

Christy Mathewson one of the great pitchers of his time.

John McGraw might be the greatest manager in the history of the game.

Band of Brothers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was watching the baseball series that Ken Burns did and they said that McGraw had great success against Babe Ruth in the WS they played. McGraw told his pitchers to pitch slower and even slower still against Ruth and the Babe struggled. He loved a good fastball. McGraw was a great one.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mays
Bonds
Posey
Marichal

But...Bum may displace Juan in a few years.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I started the tread as an SF Giants Mt Rushmore. But feel free to go off topic.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I started the tread as an SF Giants Mt Rushmore. But feel free to go off topic.

I did see your OP...but I was wondering IF the NY Giant history followed them to the Bay Area> I honestly don't know the answer to my Q, so I "cautiously" made my prior post. Perhaps someone knows that answer here.

Not trying to taint your thread. :rollseyes:

Band of Brothers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry CAL, I did'nt mean to go off topic. I really like McGraw.Great manager.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we are looking NY AND SF, it gets very hard.

Mays is still on. Like I said, he is an MLB top 4, so he gets on regardless. Stretch falls to the shirt list, though...

Ott
Mathewson
Posey
Bochy
Bonds
McCovey

Almost impossible to pick 3 from that list. Ott/Matthewson/Bonds? Posey/Bochy/McCovey? Both would be OK with me.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry CAL, I did'nt mean to go off topic. I really like McGraw.Great manager.

Sorry, I did not intend my comment to be snarky. I was actually inviting the discussion.

I see how it could have been read as snark though...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did see your OP...but I was wondering IF the NY Giant history followed them to the Bay Area> I honestly don't know the answer to my Q, so I "cautiously" made my prior post. Perhaps someone knows that answer here.

Not trying to taint your thread. :rollseyes:

Officially, the org still "owns" the history from the NY years. It was so long ago, that I think most fans put it in its own category, though. So few can identify with those teams/players.

I think it is a rather new development for teams to "leave their history behind" when relocating. I think it really started with the Browns becoming the Ravens. Didn't Modell actually lose a court case regarding the Browns "rich" history?

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you are allowing Bochy to be included, should you allow Sabean? Just asking a serious question.

The debate is endless (good!) because there are so many parameters one can argue for and against.

For me, my primary choice for parameters would be:

SF-only
Players-only
Non-active only

Which pretty much makes it:

Mays
McCovey
Marichal
Bonds (f the 'roid whiners - not only is he arguably the greatest hitter of all-time anywhere, he filled the seats and made the franchise what it is today)

In fifteen years it probably becomes:

Mays
Bonds
Posey
Bum

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had to google "all-time Giant greats" and get a feel again for long lost players of lore...

2 points of interest...

- looks like the site I am on goes way back to 1910s and I'm only in the "B" column so far.

- Excluding Barry Bonds for roids, one could argue for Bobby Bonds instead.

Hows does anyone feel when discussing the Alou brothers?

Giants All-Time Players | SFGiants.com: History

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had to google "all-time Giant greats" and get a feel again for long lost players of lore...

2 points of interest...

- looks like the site I am on goes way back to 1910s and I'm only in the "B" column so far.

- Excluding Barry Bonds for roids, one could argue for Bobby Bonds instead.

Hows does anyone feel when discussing the Alou brothers?

Giants All-Time Players | SFGiants.com: History

They wouldn't get a place on Mt Rushmore, but they would collectively rate a plaque on the trail leading up to it.