• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MSU football schedule 2020

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just noticed (because of a local article) that MSU has (what turned into after this past season) a hilariously brutal stretch next year:

They open next season with Northwestern, which is interesting, followed by BYU. Then play Toledo and hit this stretch of games:

Miami
@Iowa
Michigan
Ohio State
@Indiana
Minnesota
@Penn State

It's possible that MSU has an even worse year next year than they did this year. They could potentially win none of those games in that stretch. Best case, they win a couple?

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They will win as many division and conference titles as michigan in 2020.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They will win as many division and conference titles as michigan in 2020.
aaron-paul-boo-bitch.gif

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean they might win as many games in that stretch than Michigan will on this slate (not in in a row)

@ Washington

Wisconsin
Penn State
@ Michigan State
@ Minnesota

@Ohio State

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean they might win as many games in that stretch than Michigan will on this slate (not in in a row)

@ Washington

Wisconsin
Penn State
@ Michigan State
@ Minnesota

@Ohio State
Seems like we'll win most of those....

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see one likely win, maybe two but traveling to Washington won't be easy.
We've done pretty well against Wisconsin and PSU at home under Harbaugh. So I'd say we win those and MSU. Not sure what I think about Minnesota yet for next year. Who knows there. Same with Washington, they weren't great this year, have a new HC and who knows.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've done pretty well against Wisconsin and PSU at home under Harbaugh. So I'd say we win those and MSU. Not sure what I think about Minnesota yet for next year. Who knows there. Same with Washington, they weren't great this year, have a new HC and who knows.
Games in the past are pretty irrelevant. If there's fallout from this Penn State situation, you'll probably beat them. If not, I don't see it happening. They're just a better team. Wisconsin lost Taylor, but they still have plenty of talent. Hardly a guaranteed win.

You guys lose a ton going into this season, which you seem to be overlooking. Patterson, DPJ, Black, and 4/5 OL starters are gone. You also lose two huge pieces from a defense that wilted against top offenses last year. There's a long way to go for you guys to assume wins over any top 25 teams, regardless of where the game is played.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Games in the past are pretty irrelevant. If there's fallout from this Penn State situation, you'll probably beat them. If not, I don't see it happening. They're just a better team. Wisconsin lost Taylor, but they still have plenty of talent. Hardly a guaranteed win.

You guys lose a ton going into this season, which you seem to be overlooking. Patterson, DPJ, Black, and 4/5 OL starters are gone. You also lose two huge pieces from a defense that wilted against top offenses last year. There's a long way to go for you guys to assume wins over any top 25 teams, regardless of where the game is played.
We were a dropped pass away from OT @ Penn State this year. Home field advantage certainly helps us there and we *should win that game. Wisconsin, again, we play well at home and they tend to drop off every other year; especially after losing a guy like Taylor. The OL starters are the biggest loss for us. I'm hoping we improve at QB, have tons of RB depth coming back, our best WR in Collins and our top receiving TE. So replacing our OL is key but we finally have tons of depth there, and some continuity in the staff, so the hope is that we don't see much dropoff there. And even if there is, improvements at QB and continued development in the young RB's could really help.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We were a dropped pass away from OT @ Penn State this year. Home field advantage certainly helps us there and we *should win that game. Wisconsin, again, we play well at home and they tend to drop off every other year; especially after losing a guy like Taylor. The OL starters are the biggest loss for us. I'm hoping we improve at QB, have tons of RB depth coming back, our best WR in Collins and our top receiving TE. So replacing our OL is key but we finally have tons of depth there, and some continuity in the staff, so the hope is that we don't see much dropoff there. And even if there is, improvements at QB and continued development in the young RB's could really help.
You know even if michigan scored, PSU had 2+ minutes left in the game to score, right? Hard to say it was for sure going to OT.

I don't see how you *should* win either of those games. Wisconsin absolutely slaughtered you last year and still returns a good amount. Penn State was breaking in several new starters last year and still won, and they're bringing back every bit as much talent as michigan, and has a better defense. Plus they have a better coach.

That's nice that you return Collins, but he more or less disappeared in most of your big games last year. Against Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin, and ND, he averaged 3 catches for 50 yards per game. You're also breaking in a new QB, something Harbaugh hasn't done well. Breaking in a new QB with a basically all-new OL is not exactly a recipe for success.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know even if michigan scored, PSU had 2+ minutes left in the game to score, right? Hard to say it was for sure going to OT.

I don't see how you *should* win either of those games. Wisconsin absolutely slaughtered you last year and still returns a good amount. Penn State was breaking in several new starters last year and still won, and they're bringing back every bit as much talent as michigan, and has a better defense. Plus they have a better coach.

That's nice that you return Collins, but he more or less disappeared in most of your big games last year. Against Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin, and ND, he averaged 3 catches for 50 yards per game. You're also breaking in a new QB, something Harbaugh hasn't done well. Breaking in a new QB with a basically all-new OL is not exactly a recipe for success.
Collins disappearance was correlated with Shea sucking. Can't catch balls that aren't catch-able or thrown to you.

Our offense also improved a lot in the second half of the season, and hopefully that development continues into next year. Shea's average performance at QB can hopefully improve with a new player that's been developed under Harbaugh for a few years. If not, then I don't think Harbaugh will succeed here. This is really it IMO. Shea was nothing more than average. If he can't take 3 highly rated QB's and make one of them better than average next year, we're in trouble. As for the offensive line, I'm not worried. It's one of our deepest positions and one of the spots we have the most recruited talent in.

As for the Penn State game; they had 3 TD's in the first half; one in the second half. Michigan had 1 TD in the first half and had we caught that second late TD that would have been 3 in the second half. Michigan was outplaying PSU significantly in the second half of that game. Odds were in our favor.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Collins disappearance was correlated with Shea sucking. Can't catch balls that aren't catch-able or thrown to you.

Our offense also improved a lot in the second half of the season, and hopefully that development continues into next year. Shea's average performance at QB can hopefully improve with a new player that's been developed under Harbaugh for a few years. If not, then I don't think Harbaugh will succeed here. This is really it IMO. Shea was nothing more than average. If he can't take 3 highly rated QB's and make one of them better than average next year, we're in trouble. As for the offensive line, I'm not worried. It's one of our deepest positions and one of the spots we have the most recruited talent in.

As for the Penn State game; they had 3 TD's in the first half; one in the second half. Michigan had 1 TD in the first half and had we caught that second late TD that would have been 3 in the second half. Michigan was outplaying PSU significantly in the second half of that game. Odds were in our favor.
If you were playing Penn State later in the year you might have a much better chance, but early on, I give PSU the edge. Again, it goes back to coaching. You guys simply don't have it. Also, you lost your best defensive coaches. That's another big part you're leaving out. I think 7-5 is a very real possibility this year for michigan, and if it means moving on from Harbaugh, it might be the best thing for you.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you were playing Penn State later in the year you might have a much better chance, but early on, I give PSU the edge. Again, it goes back to coaching. You guys simply don't have it. Also, you lost your best defensive coaches. That's another big part you're leaving out. I think 7-5 is a very real possibility this year for michigan, and if it means moving on from Harbaugh, it might be the best thing for you.
We lost our best recruiters, not best defensive coaches. I actually think the guys we hired to replace them, at least one, might be better coaches than who we lost. But certainly a hit to recruiting.

Every year the OSU fans predict 7-5. I don't think a Harbaugh team wins fewer than 8 games. Hell, with O'Korn we won 8. So I think most years I'm going to say 10, and then hopefully one year we win some games we aren't supposed to and get to another level.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just noticed (because of a local article) that MSU has (what turned into after this past season) a hilariously brutal stretch next year:

They open next season with Northwestern, which is interesting, followed by BYU. Then play Toledo and hit this stretch of games:

Miami
@Iowa
Michigan
Ohio State
@Indiana
Minnesota
@Penn State

It's possible that MSU has an even worse year next year than they did this year. They could potentially win none of those games in that stretch. Best case, they win a couple?
B1G offices still pissed off at Sparty for the negative publicity over the past few years?

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We lost our best recruiters, not best defensive coaches. I actually think the guys we hired to replace them, at least one, might be better coaches than who we lost. But certainly a hit to recruiting.

Every year the OSU fans predict 7-5. I don't think a Harbaugh team wins fewer than 8 games. Hell, with O'Korn we won 8. So I think most years I'm going to say 10, and then hopefully one year we win some games we aren't supposed to and get to another level.
Not sure about that part, but alright.

As the years go on, though, OSU fans become less and less concerned about Harbaugh's potential. 10-2 would be a fantastic year for michigan this year, but that's assuming they don't regress any with all the losses.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s okay. D’Antonio got his money.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same with Washington, they weren't great this year, have a new HC and who knows.

Michigan 9-4
Washington 8-5

and the bottom of Michigans schedule was far weaker so...

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan 9-4
Washington 8-5

and the bottom of Michigans schedule was far weaker so...
Well that's irrelevant. michigan beat the patsies on their schedule and you didn't. Unfortunately, michigan had 5 top 15 teams on their schedule while Washington had 1, so I think that's a lot more indicative of why their seasons went the way they went.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You gave up more points per game in 2019 than you did in 2018. Also you did not win 8 games with O’Korn, that is an outright lie.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You gave up more points per game in 2019 than you did in 2018. Also you did not win 8 games with O’Korn, that is an outright lie.
O'Korn, Speight and Peters combo of awfulness.

Yes, in 2019 our defense was worse than 2018. We lost a hell of a lot of defensive talent in that gap. This year we actually gain a lot coming back. Biggest concern is DT, but that was also a concern this year. Assuming our defense performs the same, I think we'll have a significantly better offense this year than last because of the skill players we return and the hope that we get a QB that can hit receivers and doesn't panic.