• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: M's @ White Sox: June 25th - 27th

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Msfann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This random checking pitchers for sticky crap is stupid, why doesn't the umpire check every bat for pine tar then? I don't think spin rate is hurting baseball as much as the 20 foot wide strike zone the umpires are calling this year. This was a stupid overreaction by MLB.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This random checking pitchers for sticky crap is stupid, why doesn't the umpire check every bat for pine tar then? I don't think spin rate is hurting baseball as much as the 20 foot wide strike zone the umpires are calling this year. This was a stupid overreaction by MLB.

I disagree. It's always been a rule, and everyone has looked the other way for decades because it may have helped the pitchers but only to a certain extent. Now we get what 7 no hitters by largely nobodies and the league hitting average is down to .230s or something. It's no coincidence that these new substances like Spidertac come into the league around the same time.

I find it laughable that pitchers are suddenly up in arms about not being able to skirt a rule. Excuses like "we throw hard so we need it" fall on deaf ears. If you can't pitch without drilling a guy in the head, then you can't pitch. The league has always weeded those guys out naturally. Plus, you all have substances available to you. If rosin and sweat isn't enough, tough, learn how to change speeds and pitch to contact.

I do think it's a bit of an overreaction, but let's be honest, watching terrible offense night after night is not fun. We should know that more than anyone. And no, the managers should not be able to call for a random check of a pitcher mid inning unless it's obvious, like it was with Pineda on the Yankees when he had that shit caked across his neck.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with the sentiment that "Marco is our #1 but not an ace," but damn, this season Kikuchi has been one. Dude deserves to be an All Star.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Murphy, but he is in someones way???

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Torrens more than Tom these days. Problem is you'd like to keep the veteran catching presence if you bring up a rookie. Between Torrens and Tom you might have a trade chip there soon. Catching is always a need.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leave it to Montero to make an 8-1 game exciting

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is terrible thinking if true. The kid needs to be up at some point soon so you know what you have. At some point very soon progress needs to be seen at the major league level. Just have Murphy and Torrens share DH duties and have Torrens play a little first if you are that concerned. Torrens I did notice plat a little first when he got sent down

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Torrens more than Tom these days. Problem is you'd like to keep the veteran catching presence if you bring up a rookie. Between Torrens and Tom you might have a trade chip there soon. Catching is always a need.
Yea in an ideal world one of them plays well enough to get traded but doubt it works out that way

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was actually a really solid win. Would be sweet if the M's could actually manage to win the series.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. It's always been a rule, and everyone has looked the other way for decades because it may have helped the pitchers but only to a certain extent. Now we get what 7 no hitters by largely nobodies and the league hitting average is down to .230s or something. It's no coincidence that these new substances like Spidertac come into the league around the same time.

I find it laughable that pitchers are suddenly up in arms about not being able to skirt a rule. Excuses like "we throw hard so we need it" fall on deaf ears. If you can't pitch without drilling a guy in the head, then you can't pitch. The league has always weeded those guys out naturally. Plus, you all have substances available to you. If rosin and sweat isn't enough, tough, learn how to change speeds and pitch to contact.

I do think it's a bit of an overreaction, but let's be honest, watching terrible offense night after night is not fun. We should know that more than anyone. And no, the managers should not be able to call for a random check of a pitcher mid inning unless it's obvious, like it was with Pineda on the Yankees when he had that shit caked across his neck.
But it doesn’t really give pitchers an advantage. At worst it evens up all the bs baseball has allowed hitters to get away with since the strike. The 7 no hitters in baseball has little to do with the using any extra sticky substance on the ball, it has to do with how analytics has ruined offense in baseball.

There are tons of rules in baseball that are on paper only. If Manfred just made umpires enforce the rules then he wouldn’t have to ruin the spirit of baseball with all of his dumb rules to speed up the game.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But it doesn’t really give pitchers an advantage. At worst it evens up all the bs baseball has allowed hitters to get away with since the strike. The 7 no hitters in baseball has little to do with the using any extra sticky substance on the ball, it has to do with how analytics has ruined offense in baseball.

There are tons of rules in baseball that are on paper only. If Manfred just made umpires enforce the rules then he wouldn’t have to ruin the spirit of baseball with all of his dumb rules to speed up the game.

What BS have hitters been getting away with? Hall of Famers succeed (get a single) 30% of at bats. The game has always been pitcher friendly.

Spin rate isn't on paper only. The Astros grabbed Charlie Morton, an average pitcher, upped his spin rate substantially and turned him into an ace.

And hitting is good business, which is in the league's best interest. We don't need the meatheads like Mcgwire and Sosa, but we don't need the equivalent on the mound either. Balancing the game is good for the game.

Msfann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That pitch Abreu took to the side of the knee looked bad. he was screaming in pain at first. right on bone it looked like.

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this first game goes into extra innings, I hope whatever position players who are not in the 2nd game know how to pitch. Scott's burning through the pen already in the bottom of the 8th.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually proud of Servais here

Msfann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"we have a standard --- we are going to run hard all the time.'' Felt Long didn't do that there."
He didn't seem to give a crap when Kelenic was doing it.