• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

M's Tried to get Lou Piniella to manage in 2014...he said no.

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariners... stop living in the past. Do they really think Lou could come in here and make any difference with these young kids? Really pisses me off.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariners... stop living in the past. Do they really think Lou could come in here and make any difference with these young kids? Really pisses me off.

:agree:

Glad he said no... He's not the answer that they need.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah I don't understand the thinking here.

Lou was passed his prime when he came to Chicago. Why the hell would you want him to come back?

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not surprised by this. Even if Piniella wanted to manage again I bet he'd still turn down the Mariners.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not surprised by this. Even if Piniella wanted to manage again I bet he'd still turn down the Mariners.

Yeah, all the reasons he wanted to leave Seattle so bad are still in place here and are actually worse than when he left. I just don't see anyone but someone looking to get their first break, or desparate for one last hurrah, coming here.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love Lou for what he did with the Mariners but bringing in a 70 year old manager with a team of mostly younger players?

I think whoever the Mariners hire has to be someone with an eye to the future. Even if Lou said yes how many years does he have left in him? I don't think there are any managers in MLB currently over 70. Do we really want to be looking for another manager in 3-4 years?

I don't think Lou would have been a wise hire, hate to say it but I think it is best for both sides he said no. Makes me feel like the Mariners were looking at him with an eye to sell tickets, seeing as how nostalgia seems to be the only selling point for this team.

pistlpete

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No respectable manager would take this job, unless he's hard up for cash. The front office on this team sucks and a long as they're here the Mariners will suck.

JJRadical

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm so sick of the Mariners ownership. Maybe they can hire the whole 95 team, Griffey as bench coach, Randy Johnson as pitching coach, Edgar as hitting coach and maybe Joey Cora can work in the stands selling peanuts. Just another feeble attempt by ownership to get butts in the seats. Why would Piniella come back to this mess.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm so sick of the Mariners ownership. Maybe they can hire the whole 95 team, Griffey as bench coach, Randy Johnson as pitching coach, Edgar as hitting coach and maybe Joey Cora can work in the stands selling peanuts. Just another feeble attempt by ownership to get butts in the seats. Why would Piniella come back to this mess.

This is one former Mariner I would not be opposed to at all, it's not like he is not qualified to be a manager as he has more experience than Mattingly, Gibson and Girardi did. The only negative I would see would be that Joey would need to have a hard ass as a bench coach as a role reversal with Lou and McLaren and Ozzie with Joey.

Also the grooming of Dan Wilson much in the way they were grooming Dan Rohn until Ichiro got him fired.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm glad he turned them down. Way to go sweet Lou.

JJRadical

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is one former Mariner I would not be opposed to at all, it's not like he is not qualified to be a manager as he has more experience than Mattingly, Gibson and Girardi did. The only negative I would see would be that Joey would need to have a hard ass as a bench coach as a role reversal with Lou and McLaren and Ozzie with Joey.

Also the grooming of Dan Wilson much in the way they were grooming Dan Rohn until Ichiro got him fired.

I think Cora would make a good manager. What bothers me though is I think upper management wouldn't hire him on his credentials, they would hire him so hopefully everyone jumps on the Cora feel good train and come to the game for Cora bobblehead night. Basically what I'm saying is ownership doesn't care about fielding a competitive team.

TheDman875

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm glad he turned them down. Way to go sweet Lou.

I couldn't agree more. The 90's nostalgia card by our front office has been used more times than 200 p0rn stars combined. It's done.....over.....that well is dry as a bone, has been for years.

Niehaus (RIP) is gone, Lou, Griffey, Edgar and Co. have had their Safeco homecomings and are enjoying retirement, let them be. It's been time for a new era of M's baseball for quite a long time. Let the 90's go.

Where are we now?

"Mariners baseball. We're calling up a promising prospect once a month. Come to his ML debut and get a free hot dog!"

To the M's execs / owners. You couldn't sell a dollar for 15 cents. Give the team to a real owner.

My hats off to you Lou Piniella. Saying no was the perfect message to these clowns.

Last edited by a moderator:

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I couldn't agree more. The 90's nostalgia card by our front office has been used more times than 200 p0rn stars combined. It's done.....over.....that well is dry as a bone, has been for years.

Niehaus (RIP) is gone, Lou, Griffey, Edgar and Co. have had their Safeco homecomings and are enjoying retirement, let them be. It's been time for a new era of M's baseball for quite a long time. Let the 90's go.

Where are we now?

"Mariners baseball. We're calling up a promising prospect once a month. Come to his ML debut and get a free hot dog!"

To the M's execs / owners. You couldn't sell a dollar for 15 cents. Give the team to a real owner.

My hats off to you Lou Piniella. Saying no was the perfect message to these clowns.

Agreed.

Lincoln came right out and said that people should come to M's games for the wonderful family environment of Safeco, and for Felix. That's pretty much it. The rest of the team might as well have not existed.

Lou coming on would've been another PR/nostalgia stunt.

Honestly, though, I don't think Lou would come back even if it were to manage for a real MLB team. He's 70, and enjoys his work for YES and other endeavors.