• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

M's Make Minor Deal

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From a long term perspective I like it. He should get a solid chunk of playing time during sept. call ups. I typically won't have a problem trading low minor league pitchers for a player ready to break into the majors, and potentially be an impact player in the near future. Hope he works out.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From a long term perspective I like it. He should get a solid chunk of playing time during sept. call ups. I typically won't have a problem trading low minor league pitchers for a player ready to break into the majors, and potentially be an impact player in the near future. Hope he works out.

I agree, but man I wouldn't mind having an all-around right handed outfielder. But depth never hurts and agree the closer to the majors the better at this point.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, but man I wouldn't mind having an all-around right handed outfielder. But depth never hurts and agree the closer to the majors the better at this point.
Yeah, especially the way the roster looks right now. However in the next season or two we might start seeing some of the RH Mariners prospects knocking on the door, O'Neill obviously comes to mind with the rest another season behind him. If O'Neill has a good season in AAA next year and there is a hole to fill he probably gets a shot.

I kinda of look at Gamel and see a similar skill set to what Boog Powell offered and it sure looks like Powell is just doping his way through the minors. Gamel seems like his replacement... similar skill set, knocking on the door of the majors, left handed bat, similar age range etc... Problem with Powell is he now has a pattern of PED use.

These types of moves have an impact on what happens in the winter depending on what Dipoto has planned for the roster.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I kinda of look at Gamel and see a similar skill set to what Boog Powell offered and it sure looks like Powell is just doping his way through the minors. Gamel seems like his replacement... similar skill set, knocking on the door of the majors, left handed bat, similar age range etc... Problem with Powell is he now has a pattern of PED use.

I said the same thing about the comparison at the time we got him. Now I compare him to Ackley (sorry kid). Known as a patient hitter, but like Ackley I see him as an over-patient hitter. There is a difference and I hope he adjust. It is one thing to take bad pitches and another to be looking for a walk every time and getting in trouble then either watching strike 3 or chasing strike 3. I do like his speed in the OF though.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gamel looks good defensively so far and he had a good start in the on-base department in his first handful of appearances. We'll see what an offseason and Spring Training with Edgar can do to get his batting average up and have him rely not so heavily on the walk to get on base. I wouldn't be opposed to having Gamel come off the bench as a defensive replacement in the corner outfield spots and pinch runner either. I think he and Heredia will be looking to fill those roles next year if they don't win a starting job. Aoki's status looks like it'll be up in the air for next season unless he gets a ridiculous number of plate appearances the rest of the year (plus he's already in his mid-30's, so looking long-term with Gamel and Heredia could be an direction that the M's choose to go in next season) and the older Cruz gets, the less anyone wants to see him in the outfield late in a game when there are better fielding options available.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said the same thing about the comparison at the time we got him. Now I compare him to Ackley (sorry kid). Known as a patient hitter, but like Ackley I see him as an over-patient hitter. There is a difference and I hope he adjust. It is one thing to take bad pitches and another to be looking for a walk every time and getting in trouble then either watching strike 3 or chasing strike 3. I do like his speed in the OF though.
Agreed, the Ackley comparison makes a lot of sense to me. Gamel looks way over matched against major league pitching. I will give him credit for knowing the strike zone and be able to draw some walks but he needs work with the bat. It appears he has a pretty good knowledge of hitting and the approach that has been successful for him in the minors but needs help with execution.

I think he has some upside but we will see if he is able to harness it or not. Next year will be telling.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gamel looks good defensively so far and he had a good start in the on-base department in his first handful of appearances. We'll see what an offseason and Spring Training with Edgar can do to get his batting average up and have him rely not so heavily on the walk to get on base. I wouldn't be opposed to having Gamel come off the bench as a defensive replacement in the corner outfield spots and pinch runner either. I think he and Heredia will be looking to fill those roles next year if they don't win a starting job. Aoki's status looks like it'll be up in the air for next season unless he gets a ridiculous number of plate appearances the rest of the year (plus he's already in his mid-30's, so looking long-term with Gamel and Heredia could be an direction that the M's choose to go in next season) and the older Cruz gets, the less anyone wants to see him in the outfield late in a game when there are better fielding options available.
His defense and speed are where his value is right now. I think with Cruz being a constant at DH and Aoki, Guti possibly out it will be nice to have some athletic options with upside for the future.