• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Move to 4-3 thoughts and discussion

optimist4720

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ok ..we seem to be moving to the 4-3 base defense. What are your thoughts on the transition and it's implications for the future? Looks like a move to get the 7 best linemen on the field all at once..who ends up where and implications for upcoming draft? Discuss

BloodType49

FT Bragg NC, aka the center of the universe.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,210.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm ok with it honestly...if it can get Bowman, Willis and Borland all on the field at the same time....

I'm curious as to how they plan to implement Dorsey since he was solidifying himself as a true NT in a 3-4 scheme and flourishing in the role.

Something like this is how I imagine it will look...

:Willis: :Borland: :Bowman:
:A. Smith: :Tank: Dial/Dorsey: Lynch:

That is a pretty nasty front 7 if you ask me.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm ok with it honestly...if it can get Bowman, Willis and Borland all on the field at the same time....

I'm curious as to how they plan to implement Dorsey since he was solidifying himself as a true NT in a 3-4 scheme and flourishing in the role.

I agree and if Smith comes back it looks a lot better. Only problem how would A Smith and Lynch Play at DE.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Ian Williams?

in the "old days", you needed at least one solid DT, complemented by one good DE. Of course if you had more than that, better yet. with today's enforcement of the 5 yard rule and hence passing, we look GOOD with these two passing rushing DE's. This assumes these two guys can hold up against the run, and my guess is they wouldn't be so bad?

do we have that solid DT?

can't help think we could use Tank and Dial at DE on 1st and 2nd downs, spelling Aldon and Aaron?

optimist4720

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Is Aldon Smith trade fodder this year due to high cost/risk, cap hit , trouble with law issues, more or less likely in a transition to a 4-3? Does a 4-3 switch fit him? Or is the switch made to optimize the 3 MLB we have and OLB--->>DE as primary pass rushers and Aldon makes the transition seamlessly. Is Aldon a prototypical 4-3 DE? Thoughts?

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A, Smith is pretty good at stopping the run. More concern with A. Lynch. If Smith come back he can play DT and DE.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where has this we're going to a 4-3 come from? Only thing I remember reading on this was Tomsula saying the D was built to run 3-4. I would assume that meant he was keeping things the same. Retooling a top 5 D with a new scheme is just beyond dumb. I highly doubt this is the year they would make a switch. When we moved to a 3-4 alignment we were not a great D anyway.

optimist4720

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Where has this we're going to a 4-3 come from? Only thing I remember reading on this was Tomsula saying the D was built to run 3-4. I would assume that meant he was keeping things the same. Retooling a top 5 D with a new scheme is just beyond dumb. I highly doubt this is the year they would make a switch. When we moved to a 3-4 alignment we were not a great D anyway.

Announcement made at press conference that the 49 era are contemplating switch to 4-3 next season to better utilize personnel better..I think they wanted to get 7 on the field all at once. Was wondering if they are doing this due to " bad boy" expensive types Aldon Smith and Ahmad Brooks also or just trying to get best 7 on the field. Want to see how other see this playing out.:noidea:

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

When you have 3 Very good MLB u need to find away to play all 3.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
yeah, we still have a strong crew at LB. so does make you wonder? For me, I also include Brooks as being a good OLB. is there concern on Bowman coming back near 100%? A concern with Willis' age, cap hit, and hence value?

Yet, we seem to be in nickel most of the time anyway? a few years ago, recall they were switching to 4-3 on occasion, so maybe this isn't THAT big an overhaul as we think? Or am I thinking of the Singletary era?

RobertPhD01

49er Faithful Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think we could make the change if wanted we have pretty could depth except corner! Whom we draft I think will determine this. We will need a few big bodies up front!!

bigpb72

OG Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
bowman Borland Willis ( Limenuer lol however his named is spelled Moody wholite )

brooks dorsey smith A.smith ( lynch tank Ian/dial/rookie) rotate battle for time) Resign COX*****