• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

more Free agentss

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jordan Palmer and Nate Collins signed to 1 yr contracts......Bye Josh?

Looks more like a 4-3 base defense

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jordan Palmer and Nate Collins signed to 1 yr contracts......Bye Josh?

Not necessarily. Palmer was around last year as the 3rd string, and they could still have a plan to pursue Josh and then keep Palmer in that role.

IMO, I wouldn't. I like how Palmer has looked. I actually think he could do pretty much everything McCown did if Cutler went down again.

I like the Collins signing.

C

cubzzzfanincali

No it doesn't. Collins can be cut for almost no consequence. Emery is keeping his options open.

Until emery commits a major draft pick or a major free agent or two medium-grade ones, we won't know about 3-4 vs 4-3.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, me too. Low risk potentially medium reward.

What are your thoughts on the DT position this off-season?

Melton seems well on his way out. We have Ratliff, Paea, and Collins. Do you think bringing back Izzy Idonije is a realistic option? Draft? I don't know if I feel great about going into our season with those being our top 3 DT's in the rotation.

If we're heading in the direction of cutting Pep and signing Bennett. Which we seem to be. Do you think it's realistic that we'd ALSO sign Micheal Johnson (he can fit either a 3-4 or a 4-3 mold)? Then, address the safety position in the draft, along with picking up a DT in maybe the second or third round?

If we bring back DJ Williams, it would seem the LB spots are pretty much filled up, at least in the short term picture. Williams, Bostic, Shea, Greene, and maybe a 5th rookie. Where they slot them, and who starts where. I'm not sure, outside of Williams at MLB. Which is a head scratcher, because Shea sure as shit isn't cut out to play strong side LB. So... I just... I don't know. I guess you can't fix an entire defense in one off-season, so we'll have to sit through some shoddy LB play in 2014. At least, it would seem. Hopefully, front four and secondary improvements make enough of a difference to make us contenders.

C

cubzzzfanincali

What are your thoughts on the DT position this off-season?

I laid it out at length in the other thread where I suggested all the offseason moves.

Melton seems well on his way out. We have Ratliff, Paea, and Collins. Do you think bringing back Izzy Idonije is a realistic option? Draft? I don't know if I feel great about going into our season with those being our top 3 DT's in the rotation.

I don't think Idonije is totally out of the question, but from what I hear, he's just about done. I definitely think that the Bears draft a DT if they stay in a 4-3, and if they move to a 3-4 they sign a NT (I suggested Cody) and draft one as well.

If we're heading in the direction of cutting Pep and signing Bennett. Which we seem to be. Do you think it's realistic that we'd ALSO sign Micheal Johnson (he can fit either a 3-4 or a 4-3 mold)? Then, address the safety position in the draft, along with picking up a DT in maybe the second or third round?

If we sign Bennett, free agency is effectively over. There are no more signings of significance because the cap room is already gone. There is a 0% chance of signing both Bennett and Johnson. If Bennett is signed, the rest of the offseason will be a few vet minimum signings and the draft, and then they have to hope some undrafted guys make the roster. Signing Bennett will be like buying a nice new car and then eating ramen noodles for three years instead of buying a cheap used sedan and eating better over that time.

If we bring back DJ Williams, it would seem the LB spots are pretty much filled up, at least in the short term picture. Williams, Bostic, Shea, Greene, and maybe a 5th rookie. Where they slot them, and who starts where. I'm not sure, outside of Williams at MLB. Which is a head scratcher, because Shea sure as shit isn't cut out to play strong side LB. So... I just... I don't know. I guess you can't fix an entire defense in one off-season, so we'll have to sit through some shoddy LB play in 2014. At least, it would seem. Hopefully, front four and secondary improvements make enough of a difference to make us contenders.

Assuming they don't sign Bennett, they stay in a 4-3, and there is still cap room, I'd still say DJ Williams is unlikely. He only played at that price last year as a "prove it" contract, and I sort of think he proved it enough to justify a small raise which the Bears cannot afford. If the Bears are serious about moving Shea to linebacker, and I believe they are, by default he sort of has to become the Mike, meaning our hole is at strongside, so DJ Williams would be the wrong guy. If they stay in a 4-3, I definitely see us signing some journeyman-grade strongside linebacker similar to last year's Anderson signing.

By the way, you left out Lance Briggs in that list of current Bears linebackers! Man, you really ARE mad at him! Haha, but this kind of underscores the point I keep making, that the Bears basically have a logjam of 4-3 weakside linebackers.

Linebackers are the biggest wildcard on the defense this offseason, and it's mainly because of the whole 4-3 vs 3-4 thing. In theory, we could carry the D linemen we have right now into a 3-4, supplement them with a couple more bodies at NT, and run with that. Linebacker is a little trickier, especially if we stay in a 4-3.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Curious, but Trestman came out and stated 4-3 with a hybrid option. Why do you guys keep talking about a 3-4?

I've been saying all along McCown is gone. Too many teams had baaaaaaad, real bad qb play last year to let Josh sit in reserve with 13 td's and 1 int. He will start somewhere next year and get paid for doing so.

C

cubzzzfanincali

Curious, but Trestman came out and stated 4-3 with a hybrid option. Why do you guys keep talking about a 3-4?

What he has actually said is far more ambiguous. He's basically saying they will do what the players they eventually wind up on the roster will support. Since he doesn't know his final roster, there's not much else for him to say otherwise. Since it's just as easy at this point to go one way or the other, either is still quite possible.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What he has actually said is far more ambiguous. He's basically saying they will do what the players they eventually wind up on the roster will support. Since he doesn't know his final roster, there's not much else for him to say otherwise. Since it's just as easy at this point to go one way or the other, either is still quite possible.

Ok, so what do we have currently? Ratliff can play NT. Peppers can play DE. Paea is a ??? in a 3-4? Same ?? with Collins. Briggs is a ILB in a 3-4?? Bostic ILB or OLB? Green same Q ILB or OLB? Shea as a OLB along with Bass on 1 side? Who's making the D calls on D on the field? Which LB has that ability as Briggs hasn't ever played it? Anderson still with the team? Williams?

What do we then draft? Nix a NT? No cause we have Ratliff instead we go with a DE? Any of the current DE in the draft 3-4 type? Tuitt or Ealy or Hageman?

C

cubzzzfanincali

Ok, so what do we have currently? Ratliff can play NT. Peppers can play DE. Paea is a ??? in a 3-4? Same ?? with Collins. Briggs is a ILB in a 3-4?? Bostic ILB or OLB? Green same Q ILB or OLB? Shea as a OLB along with Bass on 1 side? Who's making the D calls on D on the field? Which LB has that ability as Briggs hasn't ever played it? Anderson still with the team? Williams?

What do we then draft? Nix a NT? No cause we have Ratliff instead we go with a DE? Any of the current DE in the draft 3-4 type? Tuitt or Ealy or Hageman?

I've addressed this previously, but it doesn't seem to be sinking in. Since Peppers is bound to be cut, there's is literally one guy on the roster who is proven to be ideal in a 4-3, and that's Briggs. Paea is a wash (why not have him play a 3-4 DE...he's perfect). Ratliff can play either. Collins is a wash, he might not even be on the final roster. Bostic and Greene are both much more clearly 3-4 LBs, and by the way, that guy we sunk a 1st rounder on two years ago is clearly a 3-4 guy also (Shea). Neither Anderson nor Williams are currently on the roster, no more than Brian Urlacher nor Devin Hester are. Bass? Seriously? The defensive alignment decision revolves around Bass?

In microcosm, the 3-4 vs 4-3 debate really boils down to the fact that it's Briggs for the 4-3 vs. Shea and the young linebackers for the 3-4. From what we can tell about Emery (plus his recent coach hirings), I'm starting to really pick up a hint. Of course, the only thing that will actually matter is who is actually brought in. Perhaps we shall soon see.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well, I think the time that Wooten and peppers played inside over the past few seasons make them ok for a 3-4. I dont think they see any of our linebackers as a middle linebacker, which almost gives shea the edge if he wants to go for that job in the 4-3. Otherwise, the roster is ready for the 3-4, just by shear numbers. we have two or three linemen signed and 4 quality linebackers.