• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mock Draft 2.0

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mentioned your boy Logan Thomas. No critique on him? I think he has the size and speed, along with the arm strength to be a great NFL QB, but all the tools in the world will not overcome intelligence on a football field, instincts and fundamentals. What is your take on those parts of his game since you are a V. Tech fan?

I have mentioned my thoughts on Logan in a different thread. I'll copy the quotes here. He is without a doubt athletic enough to play in the NFL. Not 100% sure if that will be at QB or not long term. I don't think his issues are with his intelligence. He is a smart guy. He's not accurate enough to be an NFL QB yet, and I think a lot of that is due to poor coaching through much of his collegiate experience.

So you're saying Logan won't make it as a QB?

I think he can, and will be picked and tried as a QB, though not for a team like the Bengals. He would be a project, and a low risk, high reward one at that, but I just can't see the Bengals making that kind of move. Especially considering our QB situation now. His QB coaching was pretty much non-existent until his Sr year. I think (hope) we would pick a QB that they could see challenging for a starting role in a year or two, and I think Logan is still a little ways out from that.

I would guess someone uses a 3rd round pick on him. There, he is a bit of a stretch for me. If the Bengals can get him with a 4th or later, I think it's a good pick.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Bridgewater is a gamer..... The guy looks like a great teamate and a great leader.

So did Leftwich and so did Tebow. I suppose the scouts are right in their concern with his small hands and horrible practice sessions during pro days.

I'm just desperate for a new qb.

I'm still bullish on Bridgewater. The Sugar Bowl performance in 2013 sold me that he's capable of being a good starting QB in the NFL. His team was overmatched all over the field and he shredded a defense that probably had a bunch of future NFL players on it. Watching a QB deliver under that kind of pressure was the best simulation of professional ball you can get at that level.

Pro Days are important. They have them for a reason. He's not necessarily a blue chip guy if he has all of those flaws, but I still think he has a good chance to be a Russell Wilson type player if he lands in the right spot.

With that said, I doubt the Bengals have a legitimate interest. Mortensen's that type of reporters who lives off good contacts with NFL front offices. Can't see him leaking legitimate draft secrets

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still bullish on Bridgewater. The Sugar Bowl performance in 2013 sold me that he's capable of being a good starting QB in the NFL. His team was overmatched all over the field and he shredded a defense that probably had a bunch of future NFL players on it. Watching a QB deliver under that kind of pressure was the best simulation of professional ball you can get at that level.

Pro Days are important. They have them for a reason. He's not necessarily a blue chip guy if he has all of those flaws, but I still think he has a good chance to be a Russell Wilson type player if he lands in the right spot.

With that said, I doubt the Bengals have a legitimate interest. Mortensen's that type of reporters who lives off good contacts with NFL front offices. Can't see him leaking legitimate draft secrets

We're not smart enough to do something so interesting..... It's the perfect situation for a guy like Bridgewater. He'd have two veteran tackles, a franchise receiver, a diverse set of weapons on offense and an experienced coordinator. Oh, and a defense that could minimize the damage from rookie mistakes.

We'll stay the course with Dalton.... And the results won't change.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a fan of Teddy. I'd pass.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're not smart enough to do something so interesting..... It's the perfect situation for a guy like Bridgewater. He'd have two veteran tackles, a franchise receiver, a diverse set of weapons on offense and an experienced coordinator. Oh, and a defense that could minimize the damage from rookie mistakes.

We'll stay the course with Dalton.... And the results won't change.

What young QB woudl this offense NOT be the perfect situation for? Which also means this is the perfect situation for Dalton too isn't it?

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What young QB woudl this offense NOT be the perfect situation for? Which also means this is the perfect situation for Dalton too isn't it?

One that isn't ready to direct a pro offense..... One strength of Bridgewater is that he 'apparently' has already been well-schooled on pre-snap reads and has a good feel for when to change routes/protections. They also say his offense (while obviously much more pass heavy than an NFL offense) had a lot of pro principles in it.

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It is the perfect situation for Dalton, and because of that he has already achieved all of that which he is capable. That means he must be replaced asap. I would have no problem if Bridgewater turned out to be that replacement.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is the perfect situation for Dalton, and because of that he has already achieved all of that which he is capable. That means he must be replaced asap. I would have no problem if Bridgewater turned out to be that replacement.

Well, don't bank on a QB being taken at all. Matter of fact, great chance we do not draft one at all.

Marvin Lewis’ pre-draft news conferences are historically the bland finale to months of mind-numbing preparation and Tuesday’s effort Paul Brown Stadium can be described as traditionally polite and benign and that makes him no different than any other head coach in draft week.

Although it was rather newsworthy that Lewis sure didn’t sound like a guy on Tuesday that is about to draft a quarterback when things get underway Thursday (8 p.m.-NFL Network and ESPN) as the Bengals aim for about a 10:30 p.m. selection.

He didn’t even sound like a guy that was going to draft a backup quarterback later for Andy Dalton. Or if they do, it sounded like that guy would be a No. 3 behind either Jason Campbell or Josh Johnson.

Of course, Lewis could have been blowing more smoke than Lookout Mountain. But when asked about how the draft ignites roster battles, Lewis said quarterback is the only spot that has room for one clear cut starter.

“You don’t have enough reps. You can’t give that guy enough opportunity to do what he needs to do to make a fair comparison,” Lewis said. “We’re not going to take reps away from Andy Dalton to give somebody else another opportunity to do that. It’s only fair to the rest of the team. If I’m going to put you in place as the quarterback or a competing quarterback, I have to give you enough reps for the team to be good enough to win with you.”

Since he arrived in 2003 and anointed Jon Kitna despite the selection of Carson Palmer No. 1, Lewis has made sure he had a clear-cut starting quarterback when the spring camps opened.

“It’s worked pretty well for us that I don’t have that kind of confusion. This football team knows who their quarterback is going to be and who the leader of it is,” he said. “It’s made us better for that. They can get behind him and rally behind them and he can rally them.”

That doesn’t exactly sound like Lewis is the chairman of the Welcome Wagon for Louisville quarterback Teddy Bridgewater at No. 24.

And with the release of the injured Zac Robinson last week, the Bengals are down to Jason Campbell and Josh Johnson behind Dalton. Lewis made it sound like if the Bengals do pick a quarterback, he’ll be a No. 3. Lewis said he wants a mature No. 2 that can respond with few practice reps.

“One of the attractions with Jason and Josh is they’ve been in that situation, they understand the meaning of that situation and why,” Lewis said. “They’ve got to have the maturity if they have to go in and play. They have to approach the position each week as if they’re the guy. But whoever ends up being in that second chair, they understand the responsibilities of that chair as well.”

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we all know they are hoping Dalton will improve.

statistically, he has improved each season. if that trend continues, he should have a good season in 2014, and hopefully his first playoff win. There are other teams that would love to have him at this point. statistically speaking, we should stick with him.

Does he have the "it factor" like Montana, Favre, Manziel? no
does he have the accuracy of Manning, Marino, Luck? no

he's a middle of the road talent who has benefited from being part of a good offensive roster. he's laid eggs in the playoffs, but at least helped us get there.

if we start over with a new QB, he needs to be better, not worse, and that is hard to come by. It may be a long walk in the dessert, Dalton may not be the pool of water you really want, but at least Dalton is a moist sponge.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we all know they are hoping Dalton will improve.

statistically, he has improved each season. if that trend continues, he should have a good season in 2014, and hopefully his first playoff win. There are other teams that would love to have him at this point. statistically speaking, we should stick with him.

Does he have the "it factor" like Montana, Favre, Manziel? no
does he have the accuracy of Manning, Marino, Luck? no

he's a middle of the road talent who has benefited from being part of a good offensive roster. he's laid eggs in the playoffs, but at least helped us get there.

if we start over with a new QB, he needs to be better, not worse, and that is hard to come by. It may be a long walk in the dessert, Dalton may not be the pool of water you really want, but at least Dalton is a moist sponge.

Nice analogy as I am sure most think that Dalton is "sucking the life" out of this team as a sponge would do with a welcomed puddle of water in this desert we call the playoffs.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The old saying is that if you have 2 QB's then you have none.

This year is going to be played out under Dalton, and the Bengals will either re-sign him or not. But, it is what it is. I don't think they will draft a QB unless someone they really like falls a lot further than they planned AND there isn't more value for another player at a higher position of "need" for depth (i.e. CB/LB/OL, etc).

But, at least these past few drafts have been quite good, and that leads me to at least give Marvin the benefit of the doubt going into this draft. But, as he said, I see better than I hear, so let's see what happens.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
44411583.jpg

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never said I expected Bridgewater to be drafted by the Bengals, I just said I would not be against it.