• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MNF WORST RATING EVER

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get the long term "parental greed" POV, but isn't the entire industry also greedy because they're profiting on that? just asking!

The industry is supposed to make money. That is the purpose of business.

Parents are not supposed to profit off their children. They are supposed to prepare them for the real world.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The industry is supposed to make money. That is the purpose of business.

Parents are not supposed to profit off their children. They are supposed to prepare them for the real world.

OK, there are parents in every walk of life who have profited from their child/ children's success. Actors, Singers, performers on and off of athletic venues, Doctors, Lawyers, and plenty of other folks in others walks of life reach back to help out parents. Happens all of the time. The reason this happens is often because that parent or parents sacrificed to help them achieve their goals. If that's not part of preparing them for the "real world" then I'd like to know why not and who told you that?

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, there are parents in every walk of life who have profited from their child/ children's success. Actors, Singers, performers on and off of athletic venues, Doctors, Lawyers, and plenty of other folks in others walks of life reach back to help out parents. Happens all of the time. The reason this happens is often because that parent or parents sacrificed to help them achieve their goals. If that's not part of preparing them for the "real world" then I'd like to know why not and who told you that?

True...but usually those other professions still translate to a life after failing to reach the parent’s goals.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True...but usually those other professions still translate to a life after failing to reach the parent’s goals.

Dammit, first we agree, then ya had to add the rest of it huh?

Ask any young child and their parents what they want to be when they grow up and I'll be that you won't get one who will say, "a murderer," " a thief," "an alcoholic" or a crackhead. All of them will choose something within the acceptable societal "norms"

How do we know that these particular parents aren't merely finding ways for their kids to maximize their children's skills in the child's sport of choice? I agree that there will always be dreams of multimillion dollar contracts by everyone involved, but is there really any difference in one parent's desire for their child to play and be paid professionally and that of an enterprising parent hoping that their child making multimillions in the corporate world?

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My brother spent tons of times with his sons outside of football and they are good kids. Actually my brother took in kids who needed help and they never forgot him. Because the boys wanted to be good and wanted to play college football he hired trainers and sent them to camps at Penn State. The boys grew up knowing Navorro Bowman and watching as he went from HS star, to great college player and pro. As well as others. Some of their coaches were ex-NFL players. Sure it cost my brother money but he handled all his responsibilities as a Dad. My post wasn't about this. It was about kids going outside and playing pickup games or just playing catch.

Buffalo_Nickel_1

Hoopla Cash
$ 268.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see more soccer Jersey then nfl gear matter of fact I really don't see nfl gear maybe a chief sticker or a kc hat alot of soccer

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see more football than soccer but I might see more basketball than NFL. Are the soccer jerseys because the kids are playing soccer and they are wearing their jersey during game day?

reptec101

warPAINt nation
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one yet from what Ive read has stated an obvious as to why MNF sucks this year. There is one clear obvious reason that everyone seems to be afraid to state. Listen, there are many factors at play here. Kneeling crap is one of them. Some people just have strong convictions and simply refuse to watch anymore. It aint science.. politics piss people off and people rather not see political statements in the one escape that they had to turned too in their hectic life. However, the main reason MNF if down is because that lady announcer sucks. Im guessing the hounds of hoop will call me a sexist now, or even worse. Care not,,, call it as I see it. Dig up Howard and the gang and prop em up in the corner... then toss out the broad....will get this turned around.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have a good representation from around the country so I have a question. No doubt there are many things kids can do today that we/I (this includes you too Sty, you old fart.) One of the things I don't see very much at all anymore is kids outside throwing a baseball a football. I do see some playing basketball. I was doing things like that all the time. I would throw a rubber ball of the wall of the house to catch grounders all the time. Practice hockey, practice golf. I think the lack of things like that have eroded the fan base. This has been going on for years, not just now. Maybe I am just an old guy that is reminiscing.

Not just that - how about the fact that both kids & adults can do tons of other things besides watching MNF on a Mon night. Lots will pay video games, or you could watch tons of other channels, watch Netflix or similar, browse the web, etc, etc. This isn't 20 years ago where there were less choices & that broadcast was a big deal. There are also lots of kids growing up now who don't really care about the NFL that much

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also throw in that God awful MNF broadcast team & some of the terrible games as contributing factors towards bad ratings.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is 100 percent true Breed and I will say I am part of the problem. I don't have kids but through my nephews, through kids we coach etc. THOSE that are playing are looking for the golden ring.

But what about the kid that just takes ball out on the street or the yard and throws it around. Plays 3 on 3 football or plays catch with his buddy? Where are they? To be sure my nephews both grown now, both played college football did not play on the street. Everything was organized football and we were paying trainers to help make them better. Hell they play year round but it is all organized. Maybe I am just an old fart. I loved going outside and playing catch when I was not playing organized sports at the same time organized sports were much different then. Oh well.

Where do you live, Sportster? Out here in the boonies of the southlands of Cali. You can still see kids doing things. Not so much traditional team sports though. We (my town) built a really nice skate park a few years ago and kids are always at that bad boy. Two of my knotheads, my 37 yr old son n 30 yr old son will come down here just to hit the stake park. There's also a course for BMX bikes.

The concussion issue and the way the NFL is handling it damn sure isn't doing playing pick up football games any favors. Maybe another issue though is the amount of kids you need to have to play a decent pick up game.How many kids would you say in mandatory to have a good pick up football game. At least 5 per team I'd say. With BBall if you and another friend are evenly matched you get a little something going or play with an odd number of peep playing 21. Baseball - who knows. With skating or BMXing you don't need anyone else.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where do you live, Sportster? Out here in the boonies of the southlands of Cali. You can still see kids doing things. Not so much traditional team sports though. We (my town) built a really nice skate park a few years ago and kids are always at that bad boy. Two of my knotheads, my 37 yr old son n 30 yr old son will come down here just to hit the stake park. There's also a course for BMX bikes.

The concussion issue and the way the NFL is handling it damn sure isn't doing playing pick up football games any favors. Maybe another issue though is the amount of kids you need to have to play a decent pick up game.How many kids would you say in mandatory to have a good pick up football game. At least 5 per team I'd say. With BBall if you and another friend are evenly matched you get a little something going or play with an odd number of peep playing 21. Baseball - who knows. With skating or BMXing you don't need anyone else.

I grew up in the city of Philadelphia and two miles outside DC. I live in southern MD now. I see some kids playing basketball in the neighborhood but that's about it. Lots of organized sports and even more so where I grew up in PG County. I went to F-14 school in San Diego, saw what you are describing. Cali and their less mainstream sports but a very active community of young kids and adults.

As you mentioned we played 1 on 1 up to 5 on 5 basketball. We played every day, even on the days we practiced with a County team. Football we would just throw one around or play pickup sometimes no more than 3 on 3; often 5 vs 5 but if we could get more all the better. That too we played in the neighborhood as well as organized. I know it is a lot different now, kids these days have many more distractions not to mention parents that don't let them get far from the house whereas we wondered the streets most of the day.

I don't think it is a main reason there are less people going to games, I just think it is one more thing.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dammit, first we agree, then ya had to add the rest of it huh?

Ask any young child and their parents what they want to be when they grow up and I'll be that you won't get one who will say, "a murderer," " a thief," "an alcoholic" or a crackhead. All of them will choose something within the acceptable societal "norms"

How do we know that these particular parents aren't merely finding ways for their kids to maximize their children's skills in the child's sport of choice? I agree that there will always be dreams of multimillion dollar contracts by everyone involved, but is there really any difference in one parent's desire for their child to play and be paid professionally and that of an enterprising parent hoping that their child making multimillions in the corporate world?

Some are maximizing their children’s efforts in sports but it is still the parent’s dream. Many of these parents are not giving their children anything to fall back on. Even if you don’t make multi-millions in the business world, you still get a good education.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My nephews were over achievers at football. The oldest we would have never guessed would get his degree, he stuck to it and did receive it. The younger went for two years, broke his leg and decided in the end that he wanted to be a barber. He learned that skill in HS but he loves cutting hair. No harm there and he is doing well.

A third nephew played DIII soccer, played and lost the national championship game his senior year. He and joined ROTC to help his parents with cost for school. After college he joined the Army and server 8 or 9 years including a tour of Iraq and Afghanistan.

I think all three boys did well with the sports they played and benefited greatly.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My nephews were over achievers at football. The oldest we would have never guessed would get his degree, he stuck to it and did receive it. The younger went for two years, broke his leg and decided in the end that he wanted to be a barber. He learned that skill in HS but he loves cutting hair. No harm there and he is doing well.

A third nephew played DIII soccer, played and lost the national championship game his senior year. He and joined ROTC to help his parents with cost for school. After college he joined the Army and server 8 or 9 years including a tour of Iraq and Afghanistan.

I think all three boys did well with the sports they played and benefited greatly.

Great to hear. I also have no doubt that there are tons of success stories just like this. However the mainstream media in this era always likes to stress the negative.

Back to the main topic. I truly believe that a lot of this comes down to the MNF schedule & not other factors. Take a look at this year's schedule:

NFL 2018 Monday Night Football Schedule - NFL.com

The first week was a joke & last week so-so. Moving fwd a lot of these games are marginal (often consisting of one good team & one likely bad team). SNF usually consists of a much better game. If you are going to ask folks to stay up late on a work/school nt (w/ all of the other viewing options) you better deliver a very good product. We already know that the MNF broadcast crew will suck - very iffy if they will deliver quality games during the rest of the season.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Football, the product has or is in the process of losing its historically best, selling points. For our younger readers/posters, there was a time that the NFL actually produced and sold their "Greatest Hits" videos, great defense, and a game where every yard was earned in a player for player battle and not because of rule changes. Quarterbacks were also football players and not some product that needed "extra" protection. In fact one of the great selling points was a defense that was allowed to get in the backfield and destroy the QB.

As a result of all new rule changes post early to mid 1990's I am a firm believer that any records set in more recent years ought to have an asterisk denoting the "modern era." In addition, I believe that the watered down product has or is becoming regional. Tonight at Pittsburg plays Tampa Bay, I'll bet that there far less interest in that game nationally than in the leagues heyday. Sure there's enough blame to go around, we can look at the announcers, where more colorful characters like Gifford, Meredith, and Cossell, once loomed large. We can look at the average work schedule, where more folks are less willing to watch until near midnight in deference to sleep. There are any number of reasons that can be attributed to this issue. To me the bottom line is, as it was back in the day, the league has to give people a reason to tune in, and that reason, then and now, points directly at the product.