• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: MNF: Seahawks @ Eagles ESPN/KIRO/TSN 8:10/5:10

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
D-line looked real good but my god the offense should have blasted that secondary. Carson should have been the guy running against a good Eagles D-line. Sloppy win but a win.

why do think Im right fucking pissed off?

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Story of this game was "Schotty, STOP GETTING CUTE!"

Their Dline was early the best unit on the field, but we helped them out with fancy David Moore end arounds instead of putting in extra protection and throwing screens for big gains.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm ok with the strategy of easing Carson back with Hyde. The oline guys just struggled. Iupati looked old and slow and OhBoyHeSucks was not impressive at RT.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was an ugly win but a win non the less. The defense has really started to come into its own and played their butts off tonight, great all around performance on that side of the ball; though Flowers still kills me every game. The offense was questionable all night long, not sure what’s going on there. Carson was a beast, why so much Hyde? Was Bevell back calling the fourth down plays? Why three straight passing plays coming out of half? The list goes on and on, not sure if we have an identity on that side of the ball right now. IMO, this team wants Russ to win MVP that they are coaching around that and it’s costing us. Gotta balance the offense to open up play action and zone read, coach to our strengths and we can dominate with a D. A lot of work to do but I like our chances if we can get this offense back on track.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, it wasn't exactly as emphatic as I was hoping or expecting, but it was a solid win and a game that was never really in doubt after about the 3rd or 4th straight 3 & out from Philly to open it up. My takeaways:
  • Offense -- no killer instinct last night at all! Philly's D played well, but we still have enough firepower, especially with Carson back, to be able to do a little better than that. Way too may plays run toward the sideline instead of the ez, with the best example that horrible 4th & goal touch pass thingy to D-Mo on our 1st drive. Our QB excels at pushing it down the field, and our top 2 RBs are power guys who are better going north/south. Let's focus on that! The playcalling was not aggressive most of the night, and particularly in the 2nd half it just seemed like we turtled up on offense since we knew Philly's chances to do anything to get truly back in the game were almost nil. It preserved a W, but it can also be a bit unsightly.
  • Defense -- admirable showing against an inferior offense. I believe we are now up to 19 sacks in 4 games with Carlos Dunlap? He didn't make a bunch of splash plays, but his addition has clearly transformed the defense or at least has coincided with it happening. Getting Jamal Adams back around the same time is a big part of it too. Good to see, finally.
  • How in the sam phuck was that not grounding on Wentz when the snap flew over his head and he threw it OB a good 2 if not 3 yards short of the LOS? The pass was caught plain as day by a coach well in front of the line marker. That should have been roughly a 25 yard penalty (spot foul) and loss of down. Instead, the end result was the equivalent of an incomplete pass. They eventually scored a TD on that drive. Maddening.
  • This is not in the least bit a complaint, but it seems games are either going to be DK games or TL games. It appears it's one or the other...the opposing D is deciding where they are going to accept risk, and then we are going after it. That's cool with me -- take what's there -- but even on TL games there needs to be at least a couple deep shots to DK because he and Russ are just that good at it.
  • Great to have Shaquill Griffin back. Someone who can actually cover. He got hit with what I thought was a really weak PI, but I suppose we got it evened out later on that iffy one against TL. It's too bad we never got to have the real secondary at any point this season -- Jamal Adams, Quandre Diggs, Griffin, Dunbar, and Blair. Shaquill clearly needs to be re-signed. Not sure about Dunbar, though injuries plus off-field questions could drop his price tag substantially.
  • ST is fantastic this season, to include kick coverage. Barton blows dudes up on KOs. Dickson is having a strong year, and Myers has been perfect all year outside of 1 PAT.
  • Back to the offense -- just cannot get over how much I disliked the 4th down calls. I don't think we ran it straight at them 1 time in those situations. It was all finesse sideline to sideline crap. Carson was clearly on a pitch count because it seemed he hardly touched the ball in the 2nd half, and I guess Schotty forgot during the mini-bye that Hyde can run between the tackles? We used him like Travis Homer. I really shy away from going after playcalling, but I thought last night was probably the OC's worst showing of the year for sure.
As satisfying as that performance wasn't in a few respects, I'm always happy to go on the road and get a W. The D is unquestionably improving from where it was in Sep. We are getting healthier overall as a team. Home cooking these next 2 weeks vs bad teams should get us to 10-3 w/o much struggle as we hold serve and look around to see if NO or GB can drop a game. The division is ours as long as we don't step on our cranks.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just glad we didn't have major injuries last night and Carson got some rust off.

Not sure what happened to letting Russ cook and why we're running the ball non-stop now and doing a bunch of stupid 4th down plays... but whatever.

Least we have back to back home games against cupcake teams. Not going to lie, Philly game felt like a trap and almost was thanks to stupid coaching decisions.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish the Hawks had more of a killer mentality like the Chiefs. In the Chiefs - TB game Tampa came back to get within a score to win or tie, but KC had the ball in the dying minutes. So did KC go super conservative/safe to run time off the clock? Nope. They have a top tier QB and gave him the opportunity to ice the game with his skill and arm. And Mahomes went out and got the first downs (throwing) to kill the Bucs. Conversely, last night we had the ball in the dying minutes, up two scores, and we went with 3 super lame efforts running the ball. We didn't run enough clock and we went 3 and out, gave the ball back, they got the miracle hail Mary, and suddenly we were in a position to be sweating over an onside kick attempt. In that last series it looked as though Seattle had no concerns about picking up the first down. The runs they called went straight into the pile and it looked like Hyde was told not to fight too hard, just protect the ball and run the clock. I hated that last series. I don't have a problem running a couple times to get into a 3rd and manageable, but then (like KC) they should have let Russ and the WR's try to ice it by at least trying to get the 1st down.

Oh, well, that was my main gripe from last night. It was a tad sloppy but a win is a win. Maybe the 11 days off left them a little rusty.

FirebreathingMonkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like many others have said I thought we'd have seen more of Carson, but it sounds like they wanted to give him a few touches and slowly bring him back to full game statics.

Chris Carson (foot) – Seattle’s top running back came out of the game feeling sore. Carroll didn’t sound too alarmed, but he said they’d monitor Carson closely.

“We’ll see how he feels this week and work him through it,” Carroll said. “He didn’t have a lot of carries in the game, but he took some good hits and delivered some good ones, so we’ll see how he’s feeling. He should be fine for the ball game.”

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of our 2 important sore foot players, I think it's probably more imperative for Carson to play vs Dunlap. The surge in pass rush these last 4 games with Dunlap has been great to see, but up against Colt McCoy and another feeble NFCE offense, I'm not sure the risk of putting him out there is worth the reward. We should handle the NYG offense with or without a really good pass rush.

However, this team is probably going to go as far as the offense takes it. The D can't suck (like it did most of the season's first couple months), but it doesn't need to be among the best. But this is an offensive team now, and I think we can't be feeling our way on that side of the ball when the playoffs come around. We need to be rolling, and I think Carson needs to be fixed in the backfield for a good stretch in order for that to happen.

Hopefully both players can go on Sunday, but I really want to have Carson on the field every game down the stretch here.