1. Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MLS Thread 2019

Discussion in 'Soccer' started by El Profesor, Mar 12, 2019.

1. El Profesor

El Profesor PT*42

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 511

Awful start for us this year, with 1 loss and 1 draw against a shitty Cincy team.

I was happy that we all gave Garza a standing o when he was subbed in. The guy was great for us.

2. Gopherfan84

Gopherfan84 Well-Known Member

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

We've already doubled our number of road wins from last season, but I'm resisting getting too excited yet despite how improved we've looked. 11 of us that post in this forum could probably give Vancouver and San Jose competitive matches. Before the season started I thought that getting 8 points from this 5 game road trip before we open our new stadium would be a very successful road trip, and here we can surpass that total this weekend with a couple of matches left.

3. gobucks0409

gobucks0409 Sucking on my titties like you wanted me

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,556

Man, I knew it was a rivalry, but I didn't know how much Cincy fans HATE the crew until I was in a Reddit thread last night. Damn, haha...

4. gobucks0409

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,556

Oh great... Cincy and CBUS are tied. I'm sure those bastards are giddy.

5. gobucks0409

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,556

Further illustration on how the former ownership group didn't care: tonight at the hockey game, the crew had a promotional spot. I don't remember seeing that last year.

6. DanBengalfan

DanBengalfan Raving lunatic

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

Cincinnati here we go, here we go, here we go

7. Gopherfan84

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

Cue Wonderwall!

Impressive way to stem our defensive bleeding by shutting down Zlatan and Rooney in consecutive matches.

8. nappyvalley

nappyvalley Rivals Asylee

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

After a rough start, Philly's 6-1-1 in their last 8 and sitting top of the east!

• Cake Reward Cake Reward x 1
  9. Gopherfan84

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

I know you were depleted, Cincy, but that still had to hurt. 7-1 with goals from 6 different players.

10. Gopherfan84

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

Watching El Trafico tonight and I'm left with a nagging question that really goes pretty much all across football these days. Do they even call diving/simulation anymore? If a player is going down "slightly easily" to try to draw a foul, then the player should be getting booked for diving. Not just fined, book him--send him off if you need to. Eventually players will learn to stop and it'll be better for the game as a whole.

11. rsw626

rsw626 Strange Believer

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 12,250

depends on the league, and the ref. LaLiga, and the South American leagues seem to let players get way with it more. EPL doesn't award many penalties for for people that dive, but unlike say 10-20 years ago, they really don't book them either.

IMO more refs need to be like Pierluigi Collina (Serie A) was, he never put up with that nonsense and would not only refuse to give penalities, but would book them, eventually nobody tried to pull crap when he was the ref. Too bad he had to retire. Nver seen a ref in any match in any league or tournament as respected and no nonsense as him. And unlike now, NO player would dare get in his face and yell.

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. Gopherfan84

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

They actually brought that up on the broadcast, since the whole match was rather chippy. Apparently MLS must not have a sanction that they have in Europe about teams not controlling their players when they surround the referee after foul calls, etc. They don't seem to do a great job enforcing it at times over in Europe, though from what I remember from European matches it's usually only 2 or 3 players instead of over half the team surrounding the ref.

Maybe that's something else the MLS needs to look at instituting. I can understand the league not wanting to do it however because it shows the players have passion, in contrast to the opinion in some parts of the world that the MLS is still a "retirement league" where players go for an easy paycheck at the end of their careers. MLS certainly isn't a quality league compared to the top leagues around the world, and compared to most of those leagues the MLS is just an infant league in terms of its age, so it'll need to be around for decades before it can remotely consider itself in the same zip code as those leagues.

13. DanBengalfan

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

our fans use the rationale that we're a better team with all of our loaned out players back, as if the other teams don't have the same thing going on. This roster just wasn't MLS ready. 2 million a year for Fernando Adi... we need to improve at both offense and defense, and other leagues are looking at our best midfielder.

14. Gopherfan84

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

Believe me, up here we can feel your pain. This is the first season we've had a MLS-ready roster. Better days will come, though you'll certainly take your lumps along the way.

15. gobucks0409

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,556

@78Cyclones and @DanBengalfan

Hell Is Real this weekend. The Crew have been playing better the past 4 games... Went through a rough stretch for a while.

16. 78Cyclones

78Cyclones Well-Known Member

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

Love it! Go FCC! Been a rough year for the Orange and the Blue, but they are coming for the Crew! :)

17. DanBengalfan

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

Let's Dew this!

Leeeeeeeeeeeroooooooooooooyyyyyyyyyy Jeeeeeenkiiiiiinnnnnnnnsssssss!!!!!

18. Gopherfan84

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

I wouldn't wish our closing stretch on anybody.

@ Portland
    vs Sporting KC
    vs LAFC
    @ Seattle

That's be like a EPL team that closed (no offense to any fan bases intended, obviously)

@ Arsenal
    vs Chelsea
    vs Man City
    @ Man United

Pending the result of the Galaxy match tonight we'll be 5 or 6 points above the line, but I'm in no way guaranteeing we'll make the playoffs with this schedule, never mind hosting a match (or two).