• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MLB testing robot umpires

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Atlantic League is a nice league for this since they are heavy with experienced players.

As an aside, the guy who broadcasts the Birmingham Barons (Southern AA) said on the Sox TV broadcast yesterday that the pitch clock has done nothing to speed up the pace of games. MLB keeps pounding its own pud about this stuff, pretending the fans are too stupid to notice.

WindyCityCoug

Fat Stacks Bitches
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
robot-umpire.jpg

robotumpire-412x232.jpg

fd2a04b0e85e6d531c6cc72fcfd80c24.jpg

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Atlantic League is a nice league for this since they are heavy with experienced players.

As an aside, the guy who broadcasts the Birmingham Barons (Southern AA) said on the Sox TV broadcast yesterday that the pitch clock has done nothing to speed up the pace of games. MLB keeps pounding its own pud about this stuff, pretending the fans are too stupid to notice.

most of them are...

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's the reasoning for moving the rubber back?

increase contact.

MLB wants more action.

Not necessarily more runs, as runs have been fairly stagnant recently, they just want less strikeouts.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
increase contact.

MLB wants more action.

Not necessarily more runs, as runs have been fairly stagnant recently, they just want less strikeouts.

It's going to create its own environment. Breaking pitches will break more, pitchers will try to throw harder ... thus adding to longer counts ... yeah, more walks, fewer strikeouts. In two months, the deeper, flatter mound will take more elbows with it.

More runs? Maybe, but more baserunners. Not sure how the trigger time for catchers will be affected by this since the pop time will increase by a fraction (pitches taking a fraction longer to get there with more stuff on them) ... I think this is an interesting experiment but if they expect to see substantive results in one season, they won't.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's going to create its own environment. Breaking pitches will break more, pitchers will try to throw harder ... thus adding to longer counts ... yeah, more walks, fewer strikeouts. In two months, the deeper, flatter mound will take more elbows with it.

More runs? Maybe, but more baserunners. Not sure how the trigger time for catchers will be affected by this since the pop time will increase by a fraction (pitches taking a fraction longer to get there with more stuff on them) ... I think this is an interesting experiment but if they expect to see substantive results in one season, they won't.

I thought 2 feet was a bit extreme.

But a few inches and lowering the mound works for me.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought 2 feet was a bit extreme.

But a few inches and lowering the mound works for me.
Metrics has done it. Unavoidable that the shifts would create hitters who need to uppercut to get on base. Uppercuts are really not kindred to the slider, in case we didn't know. The strikeouts are the result of hitters who have panicked at the plate. Moving the mound isn't going to do anything.
And if Manfred Mann puts a ban on shifts, I will start watching the NB-fuckin'-A.