• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MLB stars of the past are concerned about baseball's future: "Hard to watch today"

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
solid but very long read:

'I Find It Very Difficult' to Watch: Why MLB Greats Think Baseball's in Trouble

"We could sit here and talk all day about the way the game has been changed, and not in a good way," Hall of Fame reliever Goose Gossage says. "I try to watch a baseball game, and I find it very difficult to be able to watch today.

"It just breaks my heart to see the changes that have been made. Huge changes."

Says Hall of Famer Don Sutton, now an analyst for Atlanta Braves television broadcasts: "As soon as somebody decides it's not a good idea, then people will draft differently. They'll train differently. But right now it's about the home run and the strikeout and give me five good innings [from a starting pitcher]. Tom Seaver and Steve Carlton are not loving this. Neither is [Sandy] Koufax or [Don] Drysdale."

Hall of Famers are not the only ones voicing their displeasure with an all-or-nothing game in which:

• The ball is not put in play in roughly a third of all plate appearances, 31.6 percent of which end in a strikeout, walk or hit batter.

• The .248 MLB batting average is the lowest since 1972, the season before the American League instituted the designated hitter, when it was .244.

• There were more strikeouts than hits in a month for the first time in MLB history in April and, through early August, MLB had accumulated more strikeouts than hits overall. The race is on for whether it will happen in a full season for the first time.
• Through Saturday, the combined rate of strikeouts, walks and home runs across the game was 33.6 percent. According to the Elias Sports Bureau, since strikeouts were first recorded in both leagues in 1913, there have been only six seasons in which strikeouts, walks and home runs have accounted for at least 30 percent of all plate appearances, and all of them have occurred since 2012.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defensive chances over the past two years have declined to the fewest in history—36.7 per game this year and last year, the first time that figure's ever dipped below 37.0. While we arguably have some of the greatest athletes ever on the field today—Hall of Famer Brooks Robinson has little over the Colorado Rockies' Nolan Arenado and Oakland Athletics' Matt Chapman, just as one example—they're not on display as often as they could be.

• Strategies like the hit-and-run and stolen base attempt (at their lowest per-game average since 1964, according to Elias) have become endangered species.

• Rules changes have eliminated the takeout slide at second base and the collision with the catcher at home plate.

• Emotion and energy is being drained from the game one replay and administrative move at a time (see above re: takeout slides and home plate collisions). Games are averaging about three hours in length and replays almost one-and-a-half minutes per review, according to Maury Brown in a story written for Forbes.com in April.

Perhaps not coincidentally, per-game attendance this season has dropped to its lowest point in 15 years. And longtime baseball people shake their heads at the bland sameness of it all.

Guy Incognito

Crack a window, will ya?
Hoopla Cash
$ 342.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL, Goose Gossage.

Crankiest old fuck in sports.

Biggest change (IMO) is that there isn't a spot on most MLB rosters for the shitty long reliever who gets 2 outings a week when the starter blows up.

Teams are more willing to take a two-pitch prospect and let him work out of the bullpen, instead of trying to get him to develop a third pitch. There's generally better pitchers pitching in relief in the 6th and 7th innings than I recall.

Teams are trying to compete around getting the starter through the lineup twice and then playing matchups in the bullpen. Until another team finds an effective, cheap way of winning, this will continue, because most of these relievers are either young or not able to command top dollar because they aren't closers.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Complaining out of both ends, imo.

Exciting plays would make the games last longer and people would complain about that.

Baseball has a demographics issue. You get latinos and asians to love baseball and the game will be fine

nynasty

nynasty
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,181.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"We could sit here and talk all day about the way the game has been changed, and not in a good way," Hall of Fame reliever Goose Gossage says. "I try to watch a baseball game, and I find it very difficult to be able to watch today.

Even more difficult when you're banned from Spring training, Goose. Amirite?

:)

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought the same thing when I read his name.

Poor old Goose, sitting there, bitching about the world passing him by.

He only does that when he's not busy telling kids to get off his lawn

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL, Goose Gossage.

Crankiest old fuck in sports.
8izezle.png

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baseball could use some tweaks but to me the game is still fine despite what Goose Gossage is saying.

Carnzo

Go Pats!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yesterdays game was an example.
Red Sox / Jays 6 hits combined in the game.
1 run in the second, 1 in the ninth, final 2-0
A barn burner I tell you.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The exit velocity shit has to go.

I haven't bothered to watch an ESPN broadcast in months. Gay AF.

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yesterdays game was an example.
Red Sox / Jays 6 hits combined in the game.
1 run in the second, 1 in the ninth, final 2-0
A barn burner I tell you.
Well just when I thought Chess-Boxing was a joke I was proven incorrect. So maybe the next thing will be ACTUAL Barn Burning?

Hosted by Andre Rison of course

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goose = True

Baseball are Dead2Me