• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MLB network's prime 9 best non playoff teams

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course our 93 Giants were on the list @ #4

1908 Giants were #3 - Merkle's boner

Last edited by a moderator:

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's gotta be a ton of teams from pre-1969 who deserve to be on the list, but yeah, I'm glad the 1993 Giants got recognized. Prior to 1969, the only playoff series was the World Series. I'm sure everyone here knew that already, so I apologize for giving the history lesson.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oops sorry sjballer, I was only paid attention to Giants teams mostly.

Yes, there were a bunch of pre-1969 teams. Red Sox and Yankees. The tigers that lost to the 61 Yankees (Maris and Mantle) were there. One of the top two were the St. Louis Browns (who became the Orioles)

I found the St. Louis Browns vs. St. Louis Cardinals world series interesting. Only World Series held in the same stadium.

The early 80's reds team was there. They had the best record in both halves (play halted by strike) but lost to the Cards, I believe.

I don't get to watch that show often but I dig it. I'm a nerd for baseball history

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about the 1994 Expos...weren't they the best team in baseball that year, before the strike ruined it for them? I think they had Pedro Martinez (and Kirk Reuter for that matter), Cliff Floyd, Larry Walker, Wil Cordero, Marquis Grissom, Moises Alou, all in or near their primes, with good years from Jeff Fassero and John Wetteland and Ken Hill too.

I remember being extra sad about that horrible year because of the Expos and also Frank Thomas getting jobbed out of a Triple Crown.

Last edited by a moderator:

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about the 1994 Expos...weren't they the best team in baseball that year, before the strike ruined it for them? I think they had Pedro Martinez (and Kirk Reuter for that matter), Cliff Floyd, Larry Walker, Wil Cordero, Marquis Grissom, Moises Alou, all in or near their primes, with good years from Jeff Fassero and John Wetteland and Ken Hill too.

I remember being extra sad about that horrible year because of the Expos and also Frank Thomas getting jobbed out of a Triple Crown.

That was the first team to pop into my head when I saw this (probably more due to the trauma of the strike). Of course, Matt Williams losing his chance to break the single-season home run record when it still meant something was a bit of a heart-breaker, too. Who knows if Washington has a baseball team if that season isn't shortened?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And Matty going for the HR record, IIRC.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I remember they even had a banner proclaiming themselves the best team in baseball for the 1994 season. I wonder if the banner made its way to Washington.