• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MLB has no plans to strip Astros, Red Sox of World Series titles, says commissioner Rob Manfred

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If things are even you win on the road once in a while . Beating the Astros in Houston was nearly impossible in the playoffs and WS. They cheated on another level than anyone knew. Just vacate it now because it's going to get ugly when more comes out
Them and half the league that year.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they should definitely strip the Astros. Haven’t seen all of the evidence yet on the Red Sox, but they should likely strip all the tainted titles they won with that juicehead Ortiz on the roster. That said, they shouldn’t grant those titles to anyone because we don’t know what would have happened had the teams not been cheating. Other teams could have come out of the AL and beaten the Dodgers as well.

Do the White Sox get to be WS winners in 1919? Reds didn't win it fair and square.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a different sort of apologist for Bonds versus those who think the Astros should keep their WS championship, but there are / will be no shortage of excuses for people advocating that Bonds eventually does get into Cooperstown:

1. Bonds had a Hall of Fame career before going to SF.
2. Bonds rejuvenated baseball at a difficult time by hitting all those HRs.
3. Bonds was never caught testing positive for a banned substance, PED or otherwise.
4. Bonds was never convicted of any crime, relating to BALCO, perjury or otherwise.
5. So many other players used steroids anyway, and Bonds wasn't the only one.
6. It's really, really hard to hit a major league curve ball or 98 mph fastball, so steroids don't really matter.
7. Players have always cheated, with greenies or coke, or stealing signs, or something...

etc.

Either we pretend that these institutions have honor, or we don't. In the end, I think the amount of money involved makes it impossible.

7. is what's most relevant, but the others count too. SO many pearl clutching virtue signalling holier than thou eggheads. There's a shit ton of cheaters in the Hall right now. It's the Hall of FAME not Hall of Boy Scouts. Bonds and Clemens obviously need to be in.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing they need to strip is a certain Astros' player wife.

kate-upton-height.jpg

She seems to have that handled on her own...

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at the World Series futures I guess the manager doesn't mean much. The Astros still 2nd behind the Yankees at 6-1.
https://www.sportsbettingdime.com/mlb/world-series-odds/

I also don't get the Phillies at only 1800. They have 2 teams in their division ahead of them and didn't make too many upgrades. The Twins seem like a bargain at 2200

Of course managers don't mean much...baseball is easily the sport where the manager/coach matters least. Look at the knuckleheads that have WS titles...just recently I would say Ned Yost and Ozzie Guillen were mediocre at best.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course managers don't mean much...baseball is easily the sport where the manager/coach matters least. Look at the knuckleheads that have WS titles...just recently I would say Ned Yost and Ozzie Guillen were mediocre at best.
Yeah I agree. I guess I meant I was surprised that the manager + sign stealing ability doesn't seem to mean much. In other words, this year with a new manager and I assume way more scrutiny they will have a tougher time knowing what pitches to expect. But based on the odds "Vegas" doesn't expect a big dropoff in production.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I agree. I guess I meant I was surprised that the manager + sign stealing ability doesn't seem to mean much. In other words, this year with a new manager and I assume way more scrutiny they will have a tougher time knowing what pitches to expect. But based on the odds "Vegas" doesn't expect a big dropoff in production.
That's because they weren't doing it every game. People are getting carried away with this (like they always do)

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's because they weren't doing it every game. People are getting carried away with this (like they always do)
Can't argue with that. Plus even after losing a couple starters to free agency, their rotation starts with Verlander,Greinke,McCullers, Irquidy. Not bad.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Former Astros righty Charlie Morton became the latest player to address Houston’s electronic sign-stealing scandal, telling MLB.com’s Juan Toribio and other reporters that “personally, I regret not doing more to stop it” during his time with the club in 2017, while also admitting that he wasn’t certain what steps he could have taken to directly halt the sign-stealing system. Morton has already spoken to some Rays teammates about the situation, and added that he didn’t believe the Astros were still doing anything illicit last October, when Houston defeated Tampa Bay in the ALDS.

2017 was a particularly unique year for Morton, as he wasn’t just a big part of a World Series-winning team, but his entire career was revived while pitching for the Astros, turning him from a borderline journeyman to his current top-of-the-rotation status in Tampa. Despite his own fond memories, however, Morton knows and accepts that the Astros’ achievements have been overshadowed by the scandal. “Certainly the public perception of that win has changed, and my peers, too….There are moments during the World Series that will always be special to me, that won’t be ’tainted.’ But certainly that’s justified, that’s a justified perception to have, and what people have expressed,” Morton said.

Is he saying he didn't at least mention it to his fellow pitchers in Tampa? What a dick. For the record, in his playoff start vs Houston last year he did pretty well, maybe because he mixed it up and maybe because Houston hitters were afraid to try it against him.

Sportsguy9695

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,598.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just read in the paper that Jose altuva told the players to not rip off his shirt when he got them to the World Series. I think that says he 100% had something on his chest or back that was letting him know what pitch was coming

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Manfred is hilarious: "In a perfect world, there'd be suspensions"

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The guy is a dumbass. He also called the world series trophy, "piece of metal". This whole thing is a horrible look for him as well. A precedent needs to be set, plain and simple.

Dodgers' Turner irate with 'out of touch' Manfred
It's almost like they're too scared to come down too hard, maybe they think that would turn off too many fans. Seems to me it's having the opposite effect

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's almost like they're too scared to come down too hard, maybe they think that would turn off too many fans. Seems to me it's having the opposite effect

I honestly don't know what his problem is...making MLB look worse not punishing the players. He thinks he can just throw it to the side and everyone will forget, like you said, it's the opposite. It's only a matter of time