• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mizzou hit with postseason ban next year

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1_8110421.png

Lovie Smith was already doing well in recruiting the St Louis and East St Louis area.

Now these Mizzou sanctions combined with Illinois opening their shiny new football facility this upcoming Summer probably means Lovie should recruit even better.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who knows what exactly that means. Don’t have much respect for Sankey, comes off as cowardly.
It means they are going to send in their in-house counsel William King and he will recommend Lightfoot, Franklin and White out of Birmingham.

You'll see media statements by Clint Speagle within a week. Missouri about to drop some cash.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought y’all did something wrong. Like give players books that were optional

Nebraska did not give books. I thought the book store employees allowed the players to use their scholarship monies to buy books they needed for the classes. Even though some books were NOT on the list.

Neither of my kids went to school at Nebraska.

All college kids know that all other college kids want stuff for free.

If some of you do not know how big schools do textbooks anymore, it is a long line for college kids to stand in to talk to college kids and give them your ID. then the bookstore college students go get your books. I have never seen ONE university employee at either of my kids book acquisitions.

My oldest son also worked for the university bookstore and they routinely gave ANY student leeway on book purchases knowing it would get settled in the end. My was also very close friends with some of the football players at his school, and two of them are now in the NFL. From what I know, that school could have been put on probation from what my son told me.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My wife is upset because one of our very close friends, their son attends Missouri on a full ride baseball scholarship. We doubt he needed any tutoring because he is a smart kid and had excellent grades in high school.

corn train

Have some of it
Hoopla Cash
$ 76,445.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mizzou, how the hell you get fired on your day off?

3D845A7F-45DA-4830-B1CB-2DD5F04E31C4.gif

tnapucco

Fair as fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 17,999.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1_8110421.png

Lovie Smith was already doing well in recruiting the St Louis and East St Louis area.

Now these Mizzou sanctions combined with Illinois opening their shiny new football facility this upcoming Summer probably means Lovie should recruit even better.
motherfucker better with the grip he's making...

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wrong. UNC told the NCAA to stay in their lane in regards to academics.
Consequently, the correspondence shows, many (UNC) officials downplayed, disputed or sometimes mocked reports that peeled off layers of the scheme. UNC or UNC system spokespersons sometimes fed that mindset in messages to trustees, UNC system leader Tom Ross and members of the board of governors.

Don't even go there...

At UNC, a missed clue, and a mantra: This was not about athletics

alt1001

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Consequently, the correspondence shows, many (UNC) officials downplayed, disputed or sometimes mocked reports that peeled off layers of the scheme. UNC or UNC system spokespersons sometimes fed that mindset in messages to trustees, UNC system leader Tom Ross and members of the board of governors.

Don't even go there...

At UNC, a missed clue, and a mantra: This was not about athletics

You just quoted a Dan Kane piece. You could have chosen anyone, but you chose him, a guy who was called out by the accrediting association as being a liar.

You don't go there. If you want to debate this, I'll do it to my hearts content.

amszete

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You just quoted a Dan Kane piece. You could have chosen anyone, but you chose him, a guy who was called out by the accrediting association as being a liar.

You don't go there. If you want to debate this, I'll do it to my hearts content.
I chose him because according to simple searches on this topic, he was one of the first people to note there was a potential scandal at UNC in the first place.

But let's get back to the topic. You stated that rather than deny, UNC told the NCAA to stay in their lane. This is a half truth to me. They also stuck their head in the sand when it came to the multitude of fake classes at UNC that athletes and others were taking and acted like everything was business as usual.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or you just don't understand the legalities of how UNC got away with nothing and that if this had been taken into a court of law, the NCAA would have lost.

In what way would the NCAA have lost? The NCAA had every right to throw the book at UNC for fake classes. Don’t give me the BS excuse that anyone could have taken those classes. The NCAA had no problem hammering PSU for something no athlete was involved in. They could have easily done it to UNC and rightfully so. Shut the fuck up with “UNC got away with nothing.”

alt1001

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In what way would the NCAA have lost? The NCAA had every right to throw the book at UNC for fake classes. Don’t give me the BS excuse that anyone could have taken those classes.

You are wrong on ALL accounts. The NCAA would have lost because in every legal sense, the courses were legitimate. Key word here is LEGAL. The NCAA doesn't accredit academic courses so have no power to deem courses illegitimate. They rely solely on the accrediting bodies and institutions themselves to tell them whether or not the courses are valid. When both the Southern Associations of Colleges and Schools (SACS) and UNC deemed the course credits would stand as valid, the NCAA had no legs to stand on. So speaking in legalities, the courses were legitimate.

At that point their only other out was to try and deem them an improper benefit except for one GLARING issue. The NCAA specifically wrote into bylaw 16.02.3 that benefit is "not a violation of NCAA legislation if it is demonstrated that the same benefit is generally available to the institution's students or their relatives or friends or to a particular segment of the student body (e.g., foreign students, minority students) determined on a basis unrelated to athletics ability".

Some people say UNC got out on a technicality or loophole. It's not a loophole when it's explicitly written in the bylaws. They simply can't accept that an organization founded on bylaws (NCAA), can't run around making sh*t up. The truth is, the NCAA had every intent on hammering UNC until they had their ass handed to them and realized they could NEVER win. They were left with nothing to punish UNC that would have aligned with their own written rules.

As for who could have taken the classes, 6 out of the first 9 semesters after the courses were offered enrolled ZERO athletes. That's right, nada, zip, zilch.

amszete

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for who could have taken the classes, 6 out of the first 9 semesters after the courses were offered enrolled ZERO athletes. That's right, nada, zip, zilch.

Well if I was going to try and get away with something like fake classes and protect athletes at the same time, I would do the same as in have regular students enroll to see if the sham worked. But regardless....

Plain and simple what UNC did was wrong - they tried to cheat the system, key officials had their head in the sand for obvious reasons and you are getting into details about a scandal like this being legal or not in terms of classes.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are wrong on ALL accounts. The NCAA would have lost because in every legal sense, the courses were legitimate. Key word here is LEGAL. The NCAA doesn't accredit academic courses so have no power to deem courses illegitimate. They rely solely on the accrediting bodies and institutions themselves to tell them whether or not the courses are valid. When both the Southern Associations of Colleges and Schools (SACS) and UNC deemed the course credits would stand as valid, the NCAA had no legs to stand on. So speaking in legalities, the courses were legitimate.

At that point their only other out was to try and deem them an improper benefit except for one GLARING issue. The NCAA specifically wrote into bylaw 16.02.3 that benefit is "not a violation of NCAA legislation if it is demonstrated that the same benefit is generally available to the institution's students or their relatives or friends or to a particular segment of the student body (e.g., foreign students, minority students) determined on a basis unrelated to athletics ability".

Some people say UNC got out on a technicality or loophole. It's not a loophole when it's explicitly written in the bylaws. They simply can't accept that an organization founded on bylaws (NCAA), can't run around making sh*t up. The truth is, the NCAA had every intent on hammering UNC until they had their ass handed to them and realized they could NEVER win. They were left with nothing to punish UNC that would have aligned with their own written rules.

I’m not wrong on all accounts. The NCAA isn’t the justice system ethier and had no problem hammering PSU with a scholarship reduction and ban. All of which for a heinous crime that was out of their jurisdiction. If they had any sense of pride they would have at least attempted to hammer UNC. But they didn’t and that just shows the ridiculous bias the NCAA has towards UNC. They May have lost in court but there unwillingness to do anything is beyond laughable.

An UNC got out of it because a loophole. The rule you quoted proves that.

alt1001

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m not wrong on all accounts. The NCAA isn’t the justice system ethier and had no problem hammering PSU with a scholarship reduction and ban.

The Penn State debacle as it related to Penn State, only resided within the athletic department. Now while a lot of legalities and overreach were ironed out, anything dealt solely within athletics is strictly within the NCAA's wheelhouse.

Contrast that to UNC where academics in regards to course rigor and accreditation, is NOWHERE near the NCAA's wheelhouse. They can't touch it as it pertains to students not under the NCAA's control. The NCAA is an athletic enforcer not academic.

As for the the NCAA being a justice system, nobody ever said they were. They are still an organization of bylaws and have to hold institutions to those bylaws. If they choose to deviate from that, they will be held accountable.

You are wrong, they had no legal association to punish UNC and they knew it.

Last edited: