• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Minor League Player Protection System

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A discussion on the Giants board yesterday led me down a thought path that resulted in me creating a system that could handle some problems with MiLB roster management. It makes some tweaks to the Rule V draft and breaks all players (MLB and MiLB) into essentially 4 groups.

MLB-40 - This is the same as it is today. These player are fully protected by the org and their “clock” is running. These players are exempt from the Rule V draft.

Rookie Exempt - These players are playing at age-appropriate levels (or higher; Rookie 20, A- 21, A+ 22, AA 23, AAA 24), and are thus equally protected by the org. These players are not eligible for the Rule V draft. They are advancing, thus the purpose of the Rule V does not apply. This eligibility is determined after the World Series is completed. Each player’s RE status is maintained until the next reset date (after the next World Series). Upon signing with an organization as an amateur, each player receives RE status until they complete 1 full calendar year as a pro (‘24 draftees are automatically RE through the ‘25 season, for example). Note that age per level is based on some as yet to be determined cutoff date. I used BBRef aging while I was researching this, but it can be handled differently. Rehab appearances in lower levels do not count as playing at that level, but if a player is assigned to a level, that is the level the need to qualify for, age-wise, for RE for that season. For example, a 22 year old needs to play the entire season at A+ or higher to maintain his RE status. But if he sprains his ankle and needs a week in camp to sort it out, that is fine.

MiLB-20 - This is a manual list of “protected” players that did not qualify for RE. These players can be taken in the Rule V draft, but their MiLB level is not important. A DFA process would expose the “DFA’d” player to waivers where other teams could add said player to their MiLB-20 roster (similar to the existing DFA process for the MLB-40). If these players qualify for RE in the future, they may be removed from this list without being DFA’d. The actual roster size for this group likely needs to be fine tuned, but I think 20 is a good starting point.

Practice Squad - The name of this group sucks, but it gets the idea across (it is based on the NFL’s practice squad rules). These are players not on any of the above lists. They are eligible for the Rule V draft. They can also be “claimed” via waivers at any time during the season by another team. Their current team would have to add them to their MiLB-20 themselves (or trade the player) to prevent the claiming team from taking him. The claiming team would have to, in turn, place this player on their MiLB-20.

Rule V Draft - This is based on the draft as it exists today, but there are some fundamental Shante’s, so it would likely need a name change. First, the minor league portion would be abolished. Second, any player drafted would not have the condition of requiring 26-man status for the entire season. If a player is drafted, he now belongs to the drafting team, but needs to be placed on their MLB-40. Further, this draft would run more like an expansion draft than a regular draft. Once a team loses a player, they can automatically protect 3 additional players from the draft. Further, at the completion of each round, each team can protect 1 additional player. Finally, if a team opts out, they can protect an additional player at the time of their pick for the remainder of the draft. Protected players are disclosed to teams still “active” in the draft. The draft continues until all teams “pass” (as it runs currently).

- - - -———- ——

This addresses the “Kris Bryant” problem quite well, I think. It prevents players from getting “stashed”, but allows teams to still work on develop players. It also simplifies the confusing Rule V draft, while allowing teams with sparse 40-man rosters to vulture teams that are just too damned stacked (and thus potentially stunting some players careers).

I am sure there is a (many?) poison pills in here. And even if the idea is stupid, it was fun putting together. But what are your thought? Adds? QA comments?

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A discussion on the Giants board yesterday led me down a thought path that resulted in me creating a system that could handle some problems with MiLB roster management. It makes some tweaks to the Rule V draft and breaks all players (MLB and MiLB) into essentially 4 groups.

MLB-40 - This is the same as it is today. These player are fully protected by the org and their “clock” is running. These players are exempt from the Rule V draft.

Rookie Exempt - These players are playing at age-appropriate levels (or higher; Rookie 20, A- 21, A+ 22, AA 23, AAA 24), and are thus equally protected by the org. These players are not eligible for the Rule V draft. They are advancing, thus the purpose of the Rule V does not apply. This eligibility is determined after the World Series is completed. Each player’s RE status is maintained until the next reset date (after the next World Series). Upon signing with an organization as an amateur, each player receives RE status until they complete 1 full calendar year as a pro (‘24 draftees are automatically RE through the ‘25 season, for example). Note that age per level is based on some as yet to be determined cutoff date. I used BBRef aging while I was researching this, but it can be handled differently. Rehab appearances in lower levels do not count as playing at that level, but if a player is assigned to a level, that is the level the need to qualify for, age-wise, for RE for that season. For example, a 22 year old needs to play the entire season at A+ or higher to maintain his RE status. But if he sprains his ankle and needs a week in camp to sort it out, that is fine.

MiLB-20 - This is a manual list of “protected” players that did not qualify for RE. These players can be taken in the Rule V draft, but their MiLB level is not important. A DFA process would expose the “DFA’d” player to waivers where other teams could add said player to their MiLB-20 roster (similar to the existing DFA process for the MLB-40). If these players qualify for RE in the future, they may be removed from this list without being DFA’d. The actual roster size for this group likely needs to be fine tuned, but I think 20 is a good starting point.

Practice Squad - The name of this group sucks, but it gets the idea across (it is based on the NFL’s practice squad rules). These are players not on any of the above lists. They are eligible for the Rule V draft. They can also be “claimed” via waivers at any time during the season by another team. Their current team would have to add them to their MiLB-20 themselves (or trade the player) to prevent the claiming team from taking him. The claiming team would have to, in turn, place this player on their MiLB-20.

Rule V Draft - This is based on the draft as it exists today, but there are some fundamental Shante’s, so it would likely need a name change. First, the minor league portion would be abolished. Second, any player drafted would not have the condition of requiring 26-man status for the entire season. If a player is drafted, he now belongs to the drafting team, but needs to be placed on their MLB-40. Further, this draft would run more like an expansion draft than a regular draft. Once a team loses a player, they can automatically protect 3 additional players from the draft. Further, at the completion of each round, each team can protect 1 additional player. Finally, if a team opts out, they can protect an additional player at the time of their pick for the remainder of the draft. Protected players are disclosed to teams still “active” in the draft. The draft continues until all teams “pass” (as it runs currently).

- - - -———- ——

This addresses the “Kris Bryant” problem quite well, I think. It prevents players from getting “stashed”, but allows teams to still work on develop players. It also simplifies the confusing Rule V draft, while allowing teams with sparse 40-man rosters to vulture teams that are just too damned stacked (and thus potentially stunting some players careers).

I am sure there is a (many?) poison pills in here. And even if the idea is stupid, it was fun putting together. But what are your thought? Adds? QA comments?
I know this doesn't help move the discussion along but after reading this I am 100% certain that you have been named commissioner of every Dynasty fantasy football league you have been in.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know this doesn't help move the discussion along but after reading this I am 100% certain that you have been named commissioner of every Dynasty fantasy football league you have been in.
LOL

I have not played fantasy baseball since the ‘80s. It would not be good for my health. I gave up fantasy football about 15 years ago for similar reasons.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why make it so complicated. Every prospect drafted signs a 5 year deal, after those 5 years he is eligible for free agency. Get rid of arbitration, get rid of the Rule 5 draft.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why make it so complicated. Every prospect drafted signs a 5 year deal, after those 5 years he is eligible for free agency. Get rid of arbitration, get rid of the Rule 5 draft.
How many players make it to the bigs in 5 years? And that would kill drafting out of HS or signing international FAs.

Why would teams bother to develop a player if that player can just walk once they are about MLB ready?

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many players make it to the bigs in 5 years? And that would kill drafting out of HS or signing international FAs.

Why would teams bother to develop a player if that player can just walk once they are about MLB ready?
That is the teams problem not the players. Nothing would stop them from drafting a HS or an international player and giving him a contract extension before they make the big leagues.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is the teams problem not the players. Nothing would stop them from drafting a HS or an international player and giving him a contract extension before they make the big leagues.
That is an attitude of ONLY looking out for the player, thus teams would never support the plan. That is a non-starter for a plan.

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All great ideas....

Also: like many MLB rules, very wordy and complicated - so they'll love it, too!

I like your rookie exempt rule, but perhaps name it something else? "Youth Development"? I might like to see the ages tweaked. Perhaps AA could be 23-24 & AAA could be 24-25.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baseball is complicated as it is I would be lost in the mud.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All great ideas....

Also: like many MLB rules, very wordy and complicated - so they'll love it, too!

I like your rookie exempt rule, but perhaps name it something else? "Youth Development"? I might like to see the ages tweaked. Perhaps AA could be 23-24 & AAA could be 24-25.
I gave the names next to no thought. Thus, “Practice Squad”.

I used the basic average age of the levels per BBRef. If anything, I would argue that the ages would need to go YOUNGER, not older. The point is to pressure the teams to keeps players advancing upward if they want to “protect” them. The purpose of the Rule V draft is to force teams to add players to the 40-Man as they progress or risk losing them to another team. I am trying to address that same mechanic here, but not just rely on a “signed date” to determine eligibility for that mechanic.