• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mildly excited now!

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hear me out first.

One of the funnest parts of watching last season's shit show of a team, a team in both internal turmoil but also the locker room resembling a MASH uni, was watching young dudes step up. We got to see guys like Borland, who both Baalke and Harbaugh were VERY high on from day one. Dontae Johnson showed to be a promising rookie. We saw Wilhoite prove to be a SOLID ILB over the course of a season. We saw Lynch become a true pass rushing force. We found out that Tank DOES throw people around, that he has speed at DE to go with his strength and size. We got to see Martin play a bit, albeit inconsistent, showed flashes of dominance.

We have quite a few guys on our roster that we have high hopes for that are going to have a REAL opportunity to play. Thomas and Tank were specifically drafted to replace Iupati and eventually Justin Smith. Dial has been a solid force when playing DE, adequate enough as a backup at NT, and has a nastiness to him that I really appreciate. Ellington and Patton are going to be given opportunities with Johnson and Crabtree being let go. We have TE up the ass, surely someone of the bunch will show to add a compliment to VD. Kilgore is supposed to be healthy and will get a chance, as is Martin. Kaep supposedly made some strides in the offseason. Dial and Tank get additional PT and we get to take a look at which side of the BOOM or BUST coin we land on with Amstead. Reaser is supposed to be a hell of a talent. We get to see if Hyde is ready to take the alpha dog reigns and be the bell cow that Gore had been for a decade. Can Ward, Millard, Ramsey, Mike Davis, and others carve themselves a place on this team?

It can't get any worse of a shit show then it's been over the last season and a half and given the overhaul in both the Coaching Staff and locker room, so at this point, it's time to watch a young team step up and fly around. I don't have high hopes for this season, but I do have high interest in how our young players play and think we have enough talent to surprise some teams.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hear me out first.

One of the funnest parts of watching last season's shit show of a team, a team in both internal turmoil but also the locker room resembling a MASH uni, was watching young dudes step up. We got to see guys like Borland, who both Baalke and Harbaugh were VERY high on from day one. Dontae Johnson showed to be a promising rookie. We saw Wilhoite prove to be a SOLID ILB over the course of a season. We saw Lynch become a true pass rushing force. We found out that Tank DOES throw people around, that he has speed at DE to go with his strength and size. We got to see Martin play a bit, albeit inconsistent, showed flashes of dominance.

We have quite a few guys on our roster that we have high hopes for that are going to have a REAL opportunity to play. Thomas and Tank were specifically drafted to replace Iupati and eventually Justin Smith. Dial has been a solid force when playing DE, adequate enough as a backup at NT, and has a nastiness to him that I really appreciate. Ellington and Patton are going to be given opportunities with Johnson and Crabtree being let go. We have TE up the ass, surely someone of the bunch will show to add a compliment to VD. Kilgore is supposed to be healthy and will get a chance, as is Martin. Kaep supposedly made some strides in the offseason. Dial and Tank get additional PT and we get to take a look at which side of the BOOM or BUST coin we land on with Amstead. Reaser is supposed to be a hell of a talent. We get to see if Hyde is ready to take the alpha dog reigns and be the bell cow that Gore had been for a decade. Can Ward, Millard, Ramsey, Mike Davis, and others carve themselves a place on this team?

It can't get any worse of a shit show then it's been over the last season and a half and given the overhaul in both the Coaching Staff and locker room, so at this point, it's time to watch a young team step up and fly around. I don't have high hopes for this season, but I do have high interest in how our young players play and think we have enough talent to surprise some teams.

I feel the same way. There are alot of interesting subplots this year. There are a number of young CBs this year. Aker looked good in preseason last year before getting injured last year. Not sure we will get a good idea of Armstead this year. He may not get much playing time this year barring injury.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am excited because of the youth we have but still have some nice Vets. Its really going to come down to coaching and that is where I'm a little nervous.

I agree about Johnson. i really think he can become a very good #2 CB.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel the same way. There are alot of interesting subplots this year. There are a number of young CBs this year. Aker looked good in preseason last year before getting injured last year. Not sure we will get a good idea of Armstead this year. He may not get much playing time this year barring injury.
Armstead better show us something because we need him now. I can live with the early mistakes but by week 6-7 I need to see something for me to get excited about him.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Armstead better show us something because we need him now. I can live with the early mistakes but by week 6-7 I need to see something for me to get excited about him.

I think he is going to be down on the depth chart this year and won't see much playing time. I don't think he was considered NFL ready and needs some more work

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he is going to be down on the depth chart this year and won't see much playing time. I don't think he was considered NFL ready and needs some more work
At where we got him he better be ready if not it was a bad pick.

Number7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It can definitely get worse. 8-8 isn't that bad (especially compared to the 8 or 9 seasons before Harbaugh. I guess I'm excited to see to see young players play...but if we lose 10 or so games it really won't be that exciting to me.

I don't want to shit all over your positivity since I wouldn't be completely shocked if we ended up being decent, but this is definitely the worst I felt about a Niners season since the year before Harbaugh. It has more to do with the offense though. I'm sure the defense will be fine so the young players you mentioned will be fine, but I don't really see the offense being that much better. And it was pretty bad last season.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It can definitely get worse. 8-8 isn't that bad (especially compared to the 8 or 9 seasons before Harbaugh. I guess I'm excited to see to see young players play...but if we lose 10 or so games it really won't be that exciting to me.

I don't want to shit all over your positivity since I wouldn't be completely shocked if we ended up being decent, but this is definitely the worst I felt about a Niners season since the year before Harbaugh. It has more to do with the offense though. I'm sure the defense will be fine so the young players you mentioned will be fine, but I don't really see the offense being that much better. And it was pretty bad last season.

If anything, defense should be more a concern. The offense became dysfunctional under Harbaugh.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 49ers are in a good position right now. They lost a lot of older key members, but they had replacements for most of them already on the team. That means they will lose a lot of high priced older players and replace them with younger cheaper players. They also have a QB of the future locked up and replacements for players who will retire after this next season. Plus, they have extra draft picks up the ass for next season.

They will most likely get a 4, 5, and a 6th for players lost in FA. Iupati, Crabtree, Gore, Culliver, Skuta, and Cox.

They also made trades during draft day to get an additional 5th from SD and a 6th from Dallas.

So that is 7 + 3 + 2 = 12 more picks next season to add talent.

I am expecting between a 7 through 9 win season this year and a playoff contender the year after with a rebuilt O and D line.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Considering the last two offseasons, I don't have high hopes for this season. We either have 4-12 talent and/or coaching or we have 8-8. We will find out. But based on how our draft picks have played prior to this season, I am hopeful that we are ride or dying with some talented young guys.

Our offensive ineptitude last season was largely based around shit play calling by our OC and HC. Different HC and OC, possibility of a different way of calling plays. That IMO is a potential positive because of how truly bad last season became.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Kap didn't throw a single TD in the 4th quarter last year, and only five in second halves. Gore didn't have a single second-half rushing TD - and only four rushing TDs total (that surprised me; thought it was wrong initially). It's hard to imagine we'd be that bad again this year.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly with the injuries and everything else that happened last year I'm not surprised that the media is down on the team. If you really look at the roster yes they lost Willis and Borland but they get back Bowman and still have Wilhoite who started much of last year and played well, plus Borland replaced Willis so it's like losing one starter. Sure they lost Cox and Culliver but Brock was the starter until injuries took him down and he's back so they really only lost one starter at CB. The D-Line lost Smith and MacDonald but MacDonald was gone for much of the season anyway, they did sign Dockett who is every bit as good as Smith or MacDonald and they'll have both Dorsey and Williams at the NT both are starter caliber players. They also get their sack leader back hopefully for the full season in Aldon Smith and they'll know how much of his production was Justin Smith and how much is his ability and either resign him or let him walk. On the offense they lost Gore,Crabtree, Johnson and Iupati. Iupati was hurt for stretches last year, Crabtree is average and Torrey Smith is at least as good, Johnson was a bust. The one guy they lost is Gore that could be a major issue if Hyde doesn't step up and fill that role but they also signed Reggie Bush and get Hunter back. At the end of the day yes they turnover is high on both sides of the ball but it's with for the most part in house replacements and or guys that were starters before injuries or guys that started a lot due to injuries and played well. So in a long winded way I don't believe the ship is sunk and this will be a better season than many expect.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly with the injuries and everything else that happened last year I'm not surprised that the media is down on the team. If you really look at the roster yes they lost Willis and Borland but they get back Bowman and still have Wilhoite who started much of last year and played well, plus Borland replaced Willis so it's like losing one starter. Sure they lost Cox and Culliver but Brock was the starter until injuries took him down and he's back so they really only lost one starter at CB. The D-Line lost Smith and MacDonald but MacDonald was gone for much of the season anyway, they did sign Dockett who is every bit as good as Smith or MacDonald and they'll have both Dorsey and Williams at the NT both are starter caliber players. They also get their sack leader back hopefully for the full season in Aldon Smith and they'll know how much of his production was Justin Smith and how much is his ability and either resign him or let him walk. On the offense they lost Gore,Crabtree, Johnson and Iupati. Iupati was hurt for stretches last year, Crabtree is average and Torrey Smith is at least as good, Johnson was a bust. The one guy they lost is Gore that could be a major issue if Hyde doesn't step up and fill that role but they also signed Reggie Bush and get Hunter back. At the end of the day yes they turnover is high on both sides of the ball but it's with for the most part in house replacements and or guys that were starters before injuries or guys that started a lot due to injuries and played well. So in a long winded way I don't believe the ship is sunk and this will be a better season than many expect.

The coaching staff changes are a big unknown. If Brock comes back healthy, that is a big plus. I believe he is at least as good as Culliver and Cox. The other starting cornerback will be a question mark. Hopefully, there will be a training camp competition to see who is the best. Torrey Smith is an upgrade over Crabtree. Torrey Smith can stretch the field and help open things up underneath. Haven't had that on the roster in recent years other than Moss which was as much reputation as anything else. Vernon Davis was the team's sole deep threat. Crabtree cannot do what Smith provides. Crabtree looked the worst I've ever seen of him since being in SF. Iupati's play has dropped off, especially his pass blocking. He flat out whiffed on blocks last year and got Kaepernick creamed a few times. If Hyde is healthy, he can be a difference maker provided the new oline holds up. Looking forward to seeing Hunter back. He played well before the injury.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The coaching staff changes are a big unknown. If Brock comes back healthy, that is a big plus. I believe he is at least as good as Culliver and Cox. The other starting cornerback will be a question mark. Hopefully, there will be a training camp competition to see who is the best. Torrey Smith is an upgrade over Crabtree. Torrey Smith can stretch the field and help open things up underneath. Haven't had that on the roster in recent years other than Moss which was as much reputation as anything else. Vernon Davis was the team's sole deep threat. Crabtree cannot do what Smith provides. Crabtree looked the worst I've ever seen of him since being in SF. Iupati's play has dropped off, especially his pass blocking. He flat out whiffed on blocks last year and got Kaepernick creamed a few times. If Hyde is healthy, he can be a difference maker provided the new oline holds up. Looking forward to seeing Hunter back. He played well before the injury.

The coaching staff is the biggest question mark but in many ways their is experience as well. I completely agree otherwise and I think the talk about how many starters they've lost is over blown because many of the "starters" only started because of injuries to the actual starter.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The coaching staff is the biggest question mark but in many ways their is experience as well. I completely agree otherwise and I think the talk about how many starters they've lost is over blown because many of the "starters" only started because of injuries to the actual starter.

Some of these starters are on the decline. The team will miss their leadership, but they are aging players. One ridiculous story try to tie all this back to Harbaugh's departure. But really what it comes down to money. Gore is a good example. Would have liked to see Gore come back, but not at what Indy gave him. Plus the team already as Hyde. Same with Iupati. Would not have minded seeing Iupati back for the right price, but his new contract is too much for someone injury prune who is a crappy pass blocker.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

not the worse i felt prior to a season, not even close.

don't see Kaep getting much better than what he's shown to date, not that what he's shown is so bad. Kaep is good but not good enough to 'lift the offense on his shoulders'. So it comes down to the O-line next, not worrying about the individual talent but how they play as a Unit? No matter who ends up starting, they'll need to play cohesively.

On pass protect specifically, it isn't ONLY linemen, but it starts with them.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

yes, blitz pick ups could be a major issue? Gore was not only good at reading it, but then executing good blocks. We can only wait and see if it becomes 'major'?

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 49ers are in a good position right now. They lost a lot of older key members, but they had replacements for most of them already on the team. That means they will lose a lot of high priced older players and replace them with younger cheaper players. They also have a QB of the future locked up and replacements for players who will retire after this next season. Plus, they have extra draft picks up the ass for next season.

They will most likely get a 4, 5, and a 6th for players lost in FA. Iupati, Crabtree, Gore, Culliver, Skuta, and Cox.

They also made trades during draft day to get an additional 5th from SD and a 6th from Dallas.

So that is 7 + 3 + 2 = 12 more picks next season to add talent.

I am expecting between a 7 through 9 win season this year and a playoff contender the year after with a rebuilt O and D line.
In a way i agree, plus 49ers will have a lot of cap space. They are predicting around 20+ mill for next year. Has a chance to hit 30 mill. Then throw in all the young players. I just want to see this team improve through out the year and if we are lucky maybe we make the playoffs.