• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mike Tomlin

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Time to start putting some respect on his name... Myself included. I admittedly turned on him in 2018, but he regained my respect in 2019. I still hold reservations over his in-game coaching style and his aptitude for landmine type games against sub-500 teams, but credit needs to be given where it's due.

The victory yesterday was his 140th win as a head coach in the NFL, passing Tony Dungy. He is 140-74-1 (65.3%) which is good for 22nd all time. He's 3 games short of Marv Levy, and 9 games from Cowher, both of whom have 1-2 full seasons more of games coached than Tomlin and worse winning percentages. Go ahead and point to his 8-7 postseason record. It is what it is & there's no hiding from it. But if you don't like Tomlin by now, you probably never will regardless of what he does with his career.

He is on the doorstep of extending his NFL record to 14-straight years to begin a career without a losing record. This stat is absolutely mind-boggling and needs to be praised more.

He doesn't get the national attention that Belichick & Carroll gets, and yet routinely produces even without Roethlisberger at the helm. Tomlin has quietly maintained brilliance in Pittsburgh and is leading his best season yet at 7-0 and has the opportunity to finally put a stamp on a Lombardi with "his own team" (yes I know that is still a very tough row to hoe given the AFC landscape, but he's in the drivers seat & should be considered the best coach in the conference at this point). I don't think he gets enough credit for pulling the 2019 team to 8-8 with the likes of Mason Rudolph & Duck Hodges as his QBs. And also to a certain degree he didn't get enough credit for holding a locker room together despite the antics of Antonia Brown & the contract dispute with Lev Bell.

Coach of the Year in 2020!? Undefeated and having pulled off 3-straight wins against AFC postseason teams (CLE, TEN, BAL) after having his bye week stolen in week 5. I think he's the easy choice.

Fun fact... Tomlin is 48 years old. Bill Belichick was 48 years old when he took over the Patriots in 2000.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was never a Tomlin fan although last year was eye-opening for me. Even more so than this year. He earned a lot of respect from me last year.

The stability and consistency over the years are really impressive.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Time to start putting some respect on his name... Myself included. I admittedly turned on him in 2018, but he regained my respect in 2019. I still hold reservations over his in-game coaching style and his aptitude for landmine type games against sub-500 teams, but credit needs to be given where it's due.

The victory yesterday was his 140th win as a head coach in the NFL, passing Tony Dungy. He is 140-74-1 (65.3%) which is good for 22nd all time. He's 3 games short of Marv Levy, and 9 games from Cowher, both of whom have 1-2 full seasons more of games coached than Tomlin and worse winning percentages. Go ahead and point to his 8-7 postseason record. It is what it is & there's no hiding from it. But if you don't like Tomlin by now, you probably never will regardless of what he does with his career.

He is on the doorstep of extending his NFL record to 14-straight years to begin a career without a losing record. This stat is absolutely mind-boggling and needs to be praised more.

He doesn't get the national attention that Belichick & Carroll gets, and yet routinely produces even without Roethlisberger at the helm. Tomlin has quietly maintained brilliance in Pittsburgh and is leading his best season yet at 7-0 and has the opportunity to finally put a stamp on a Lombardi with "his own team" (yes I know that is still a very tough row to hoe given the AFC landscape, but he's in the drivers seat & should be considered the best coach in the conference at this point). I don't think he gets enough credit for pulling the 2019 team to 8-8 with the likes of Mason Rudolph & Duck Hodges as his QBs. And also to a certain degree he didn't get enough credit for holding a locker room together despite the antics of Antonia Brown & the contract dispute with Lev Bell.

Coach of the Year in 2020!? Undefeated and having pulled off 3-straight wins against AFC postseason teams (CLE, TEN, BAL) after having his bye week stolen in week 5. I think he's the easy choice.

Fun fact... Tomlin is 48 years old. Bill Belichick was 48 years old when he took over the Patriots in 2000.
I agree, you cannot argue with what he has done. That team is talented and plays solid football with few mistakes.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

“Every year, the Steelers lose a game to a lesser opponent and the Tomlin haters come out of the cracks. They call for his job like there is an immediately viable option to replace a head coach with a 138-74-1 career record. Tomlin only wins 65% of his regular season games. Tomlin’s teams only average 10 regular season wins a year and have six division titles under his watch”

“For years, Tomlin held a locker room together despite the antics of Antonio Brown and the contract dispute of Le’Veon Bell. A team that could’ve come unraveled and blown up like the Seattle Seahawks did a few years ago with their vaunted “L.O.B.” defense stayed together with his guidance.

And for the record every coach loses games they should win. Like the saints at home to the Vikings...in the playoffs. It happens , it’s the NFL.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think back 3 years ago and we had no idea that Antonio Brown was a complete headcase.

Hiding that for as long as the Steelers did deserves a coach of the year award by itself.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've always thought he was a good coach. Never understood the hate

His game management skills has at times left quite a bit to be desired.

But you can say that about a lot of great coaches too. Sometimes coaches make bad decisions in the heat of the moment.

That is the part of coaching that fans are able to see clearly and more often than not criticize the most. But that is a lot of times only a small part of coaching. Preparing your players, handling the characters in the locker room, developing talent, building a scheme that fits the talent you have, ect are all bigger parts of coaching than deciding when and when not to go for it on 4th down.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His game management skills has at times left quite a bit to be desired.

But you can say that about a lot of great coaches too. Sometimes coaches make bad decisions in the heat of the moment.

That is the part of coaching that fans are able to see clearly and more often than not criticize the most. But that is a lot of times only a small part of coaching. Preparing your players, handling the characters in the locker room, developing talent, building a scheme that fits the talent you have, ect are all bigger parts of coaching than deciding when and when not to go for it on 4th down.
Exactly. Spot on post.

Honestly my bigger problem with Tomlin was his aptitude to sink to sub-500 teams. Because they team always appeared to be so ill-prepared in those games. And to a another degree, the big games in the postseason. Getting beat up by the Jags in a game the Jags had no business winning... That hurt really bad.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

laughingsmiley.gif

laughingsmiley.gif

laughingsmiley.gif

laughingsmiley.gif

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you high again?

:pound:

Why you so nosy? I mean not yet. I could only read the first paragraph of your comment because I couldn't stop laughing. You turned on a coach that's never had a losing season. Some of you Steelers fans don't know how good you got it.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:pound:

Why you so nosy? I mean not yet. I could only read the first paragraph of your comment because I couldn't stop laughing. You turned on a coach that's never had a losing season. Some of you Steelers fans don't know how good you got it.
There's a huge difference here. Bigger than the HC. Browns problems start from the top and trickle allllll the way down. Steelers don't have that problem.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a huge difference here. Bigger than the HC. Browns problems start from the top and trickle allllll the way down. Steelers don't have that problem.

I knew you'd mention the Browns. Stay on topic. They have nothing to do with you giving up on Tomlin.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do think Tomlin is a good coach but I give a ton of credit to their GM. They built that secondary with a lot of decent moves. Built a good pass rush through the draft. They consistently get good skill players in the draft.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I knew you'd mention the Browns. Stay on topic. They have nothing to do with you giving up on Tomlin.
My mistake. Thought coming from a Browns fan it was an implied comparison.

Yes I fully admit that I turned on Tomlin. I don't feel as though I was misguided though. We were amidst a rough 7-8 year stretch of ineptitude and the red flags were all there. I said those things knowing full well how much worse it could have been.

I can go on & on about the reasons, but I'm just here to eat crow and give the man his due.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do think Tomlin is a good coach but I give a ton of credit to their GM. They built that secondary with a lot of decent moves. Built a good pass rush through the draft. They consistently get good skill players in the draft.
This is something I used to say when I was advocating against Tomlin... I used to ask, would you feel more confident in this team sans Tomlin, or sans Colbert...

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My mistake. Thought coming from a Browns fan it was an implied comparison.

Yes I fully admit that I turned on Tomlin. I don't feel as though I was misguided though. We were amidst a rough 7-8 year stretch of ineptitude and the red flags were all there. I said those things knowing full well how much worse it could have been.

I can go on & on about the reasons, but I'm just here to eat crow and give the man his due.
I get it. A buddy of mine can't stand him. Big Steelers fan, hates Tomlin.

I also get the issue with fans from crappy teams not understanding - the Browns, Bengals, Jets, etc... aspire to have winning seasons - Steelers aspire to win the Super Bowl. Big difference - winning from Sept-Dec don't mean a lot when you aren't winning in January. The rest of us are just happy to be there.

Bengals got a bit of a taste with that those 5 straight playoffs - by year 4 and 5 - the fans were turning on Lewis because he wasn't winning in January. To make a comparison - UC basketball fans turned on their head coach despite being one of just 6 teams to make an NCAA tournament 9 years in a row, and was coming of a 3 year stretch in which they won 32, 30 and 29 games. Only one other team on that list is from another nonn P5 conference (Gonzaga). That's a damned good list to be on. Best 3 year stretch in school history - and yet fans wanted him gone because in March - the teams were substandard, and he didn't win enough.

Hard for fans that don't experience the constant winning to understand the frustration against a coach that wins in the regular season but not in the post season until you actually get there and can experience it.

LeroyOU12

Hoopla Cash
$ 850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

it seems the steelers have their plug and play system figured out. It doesn't matter who's the coach or players they just keep on winning. Talking about consistent, they only have 3 HCs in the last 50 years or so.