• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Michael Dickson

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uhh... lol, I'm actually fine with this.

Jon Ryan is on borrowed time... Seattle was one of the WORST teams for NET average last year (bottom 3) and average in terms of overall YPK. Net average is more telling since hang time, touchbacks, punt angle, etc. all factor in.

I think there's bigger needs than a punter, but Jon Ryan is simply paid too much for what he does and he's mediocre AT best. Seattle just drafted the best punter available. I'll take it.. special teams literally cost us 2 games last year (fuck you Walsh) and I wouldn't be surprised if it was another 1-2 based on Jon Ryan's shitty punting.

C grade... it's a punter round 5. They grow on trees, but I get the move.

Fuck off Ryan, your $3.6M 2019 cap hit is HARDLY worth it, let alone your $3M+ cap hit this year.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, getting younger and cheaper in several areas, and P isn't exempt. We'll get banged for "wasting" a pick on one, but if he's good and cheap then it's not a bad move.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eisen said we traded up to make this pick. Anyone know what we gave up?

kcden

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,680.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eisen said we traded up to make this pick. Anyone know what we gave up?
We traded up to draft a punter? That's disappointing.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We traded up to draft a punter? That's disappointing.

I dunno... I'd think of all fans in the NFL Seattle would be least upset about trading up for any kicker... given Walsh fucked us out of 2 games and Ryan's punting was nothing to write home about. He had a decent average, but gave up top 5 league high in return... which tells me he just line punted everything. We were pretty low in FC for the punts we kicked and high in average... not a good combination.

Not to mention Ryan is due $3M this year and $3.6M next year. GTFO.

kcden

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,680.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's certainly not a sexy pick. But if he ends up being the next Ray Guy, no one will care.
Realizing this is the 5th round and not the 3rd, but remember that time a team took a punter one pick ahead of Russell Wilson? I have a hard time believing that they couldn't have gotten an effective punter in the 7th round (maybe even this guy...)

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Realizing this is the 5th round and not the 3rd, but remember that time a team took a punter one pick ahead of Russell Wilson? I have a hard time believing that they couldn't have gotten an effective punter in the 7th round (maybe even this guy...)

And remember that time all teams took 150 players over Brady!? Eh c'mon man.... 3rd and 5th are completely different as well. 5th was an appropriate choice for Dickson... he's the best punting prospect in the nation and we actually have a big need at the position since Ryan just line drives everything and allows ridiculous punt returns with a shitty fair catch to punt ratio.

Our special teams probably cost us 3 wins in total last year (2 for sure on Walsh).

kcden

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,680.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dunno... I'd think of all fans in the NFL Seattle would be least upset about trading up for any kicker... given Walsh fucked us out of 2 games and Ryan's punting was nothing to write home about. He had a decent average, but gave up top 5 league high in return... which tells me he just line punted everything. We were pretty low in FC for the punts we kicked and high in average... not a good combination.

Not to mention Ryan is due $3M this year and $3.6M next year. GTFO.
Honestly, if it was a trade-up in the 5th to draft the best kicker in the draft, I'd be a lot less disappointed. I think the vast majority of NFL punters are fungible; it is far more likely this guy is league-average or below than he is an actual difference maker at a position where it is hard to have a huge impact. My opinion: he would need to be the best punter in the league (maybe consistently top 3?) to be worth drafting in the 5th round. We'll see, but odds are against it.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh yeah, I vividly remember that...it was actually 5 picks ahead of when we took RW that the Jags took a punter.

But we already have RW, so we are not passing up a chance to find our franchise QB to get a punter.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, if it was a trade-up in the 5th to draft the best kicker in the draft, I'd be a lot less disappointed. I think the vast majority of NFL punters are fungible; it is far more likely this guy is league-average or below than he is an actual difference maker at a position where it is hard to have a huge impact. My opinion: he would need to be the best punter in the league (maybe consistently top 3?) to be worth drafting in the 5th round. We'll see, but odds are against it.

He was the best punter in the nation... there's no way to tell he's going to be one of the top punters in the NFL without drafting him...

Not sure I follow your logic at all. I doubt any team would trade the best punter in the NFL for a 5th round pick.

kcden

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,680.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And moving on from Ryan's money I agree with, but you don't need to draft a punter "early" to move on from what you have.

kcden

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,680.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was the best punter in the nation... there's no way to tell he's going to be one of the top punters in the NFL without drafting him...

Not sure I follow your logic at all. I doubt any team would trade the best punter in the NFL for a 5th round pick.
My logic is that you could make this pick 32 times and probably not get the best punter in the league. I agree that going the other way, from a known-quantity, teams wouldn't do it. I think there were probably a lot of players we could have taken there that would have been much better value, and we certainly have needs.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My logic is that you could make this pick 32 times and probably not get the best punter in the league. I agree that going the other way, from a known-quantity, teams wouldn't do it. I think there were probably a lot of players we could have taken there that would have been much better value, and we certainly have needs.

Eh.. and how often do 5th rounders pan out? I'd rather take the BPA at the position and one in need for us both in cap room and performance than some random pleb like the pick we just took in Jones (OT) who will probably amount to nothing.

And don't start the "Sherman was a 5th rounder!" BS. For every Sherman there is 100+ guys that do jack shit.

I mean it's a punter.. I'm already not grading it some A+ pick... but it's a need filled and the best punting prospect in the draft. We have a ton of late round picks and not THAT much available starting positions with our team. I'll take it.

kcden

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,680.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully he's a great punter... that OL from Oregon looked like he would have been immensely more valuable, but I don't really know anything about him.

As far as punters go, the other one that I brought up, Bryan Anger, drafted 5 ahead of Russell, looks like he was just about as bad as Jon Ryan last year... I imagine he was the best college punter in the nation that year?

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully he's a great punter... that OL from Oregon looked like he would have been immensely more valuable, but I don't really know anything about him.

As far as punters go, the other one that I brought up, Bryan Anger, drafted 5 ahead of Russell, looks like he was just about as bad as Jon Ryan last year... I imagine he was the best college punter in the nation that year?

Fine I'll bite. That's a 3rd rounder... this is a 5th rounder after we already had 2 picks and then another one shortly after. 5th rounders often don't pan out. I'm fine with that. Taking the best punting prospect at 5 vs. 3 in a weaker draft class is hardly comparable.

kcden

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,680.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fine I'll bite. That's a 3rd rounder... this is a 5th rounder after we already had 2 picks and then another one shortly after. 5th rounders often don't pan out. I'm fine with that. Taking the best punting prospect at 5 vs. 3 in a weaker draft class is hardly comparable.
Wasn't really fishing for anything; just pointing out that him being the best punter in the nation doesn't really mean he will be a difference maker over a UDFA at a position where that is probably the "right" spot to take a player because there are so few who actually stand-out.

I have a hard time believing that he would have been drafted before the 7th, had we not taken him, but obviously we can't know that.

Last edited:

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't really fishing for anything; just pointing out that him being the best punter in the nation doesn't really mean he will be a difference maker over a UDFA at a position where that is probably the "right" spot to take a player because there are so few who actually stand-out.

I have a hard time believing that he would have been drafted before the 7th, had we not taken him, but obviously we can't know that.

Well,

two more punters went in the 5th frame and both are worse than Dickson, by a decent margin. So.. can't really fault Seattle. My knock on Seattle is moreso trading up for him. If they'd stayed put and snagged him I'd probably give it a B grade.

kcden

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,680.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well,

two more punters went in the 5th frame and both are worse than Dickson, by a decent margin. So.. can't really fault Seattle. My knock on Seattle is moreso trading up for them. If they'd stayed put and snagged him I'd probably give it a B grade.
Guess I stand corrected. I'd say some teams are greatly over-valuing punters, but, obviously, what do I know?

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess I stand corrected. I'd say some teams are greatly over-valuing punters, but, obviously, what do I know?

rSxGrEx.png