• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Michael Bennett’s injury becomes inspiration for Seahawks

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michael Bennett’s injury becomes inspiration for Seahawks

Bennett was carted off after head snapped back late in the first half. Coach Pete Carroll said later that Bennett suffered a “strained muscle in his back that really grabbed him and really hurt him.”

By Bob Condotta
Seattle Times staff reporter

HOUSTON — Seattle defensive end Michael Bennett couldn’t come back and play after a scary incident in the second quarter Sunday.

That he was able to come back to the sideline at all, though, helped ease the minds of his Seahawk teammates and provide a little spark as Seattle completed a rally from 17 points down to beat the Houston Texans 23-20 in overtime.

Bennett, who has emerged as one of Seattle’s best pass rushers, was carted off the field after he hit Houston quarterback Matt Schaub at waist level, Bennett’s head snapping back as his helmet flew off. Bennett lay facedown on the field for 10 minutes or so, then was placed on a board and transported to a hospital. Tests for significant damage were negative, and he came back to join the team as it completed its comeback and then led a team cheer in the locker room afterward.

Coach Pete Carroll said later that Bennett suffered a “strained muscle in his back that really grabbed him and really hurt him. They were just really concerned because it was close to his vertebrae. They weren’t sure what it was, so they took good care of him. But he’s OK.”

Carroll said it was unclear when Bennett will be able to play again.

Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman said seeing Bennett injured “was an emotional time for us as a defense.”

Sherman said it was equally emotional when he returned.

“He said, ‘Man, just come on, win this for me. I’m not going to be able to come back in this one,’ ” Sherman said.

Rest here-->Michael Bennett’s injury becomes inspiration for Seahawks | Seahawks | The Seattle Times

Mr. Tacoma

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seeing his dad in the stands trying to get to him was gut wrenching. Glad he's OK!

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any word on Bennett in practice this week yet? Do they risk playing him so soon and maybe re-tweaking his back?

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is, and the Seahawks are, very lucky that this wasn't a lot worse than it ended up being. I didn't get to see the play when it happened, but I saw the replay and it looked like he broke his neck. That he's a go for this week is incredible given how bad it looked initially.

Mr. Tacoma

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is, and the Seahawks are, very lucky that this wasn't a lot worse than it ended up being. I didn't get to see the play when it happened, but I saw the replay and it looked like he broke his neck. That he's a go for this week is incredible given how bad it looked initially.

One of the benefits of being strong and in shape I guess. Hell, I'd be in traction for a month if I took a routine hit like those guys do on every single down.

I know what you mean though, the human body isn't really built to bend that way. Glad he's OK.