• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Miami Dolphins Pre-Season Week 3 Game Thread

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fins settle for another FG

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Almost a turnover by Williams catching a punt - more reasons why the Fins need to stop exploring with him there.

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fitzpatrick in for the first drive of the 1st half

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As pointed out by broadcasters - OL an issue tonight. BUT, even in the few times that they've blocked well, Fitzpatrick has been underwhelming tonight thus far

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rosen looked great but he also didn’t play against the starters. Either way I like what I’m seeing. I’m thinking that they simply don’t want to rush him in until that oline is better. Let Fitz take the lumps which I can understand. Tunsil will help the cause once in but those rookies OG’s are learning on the job.

I think that the D will be better than first thought. Coaching seems to be better already guys are hustling. Rowe looked decent Baker was a stud.

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fins improve their pre-season record to 2-1. But it was another uneven performance for the team on both sides of the ball.

Offensively - Fitzpatrick was off for the better part of the first half - the blocking wasn't very helpful - but he also had a lot of self-inflicted mistakes like over-throws.

The running game was a bit lackluster until Laird came in. That being said, its becoming a position the Dolphins have some depth and competition in. I think it is going to be a position that the Dolphins will have to carry AT LEAST 4 on their roster in some capacity when final cuts are made. Each of our backs bring something different to the team - and the Fins would benefit from having that versatility on their active roster. As well, for a team that is going to feature a FB in their offense - I think they will look to carry as many backs as the rest of the roster make-up allows them to in order to take advantage to take advantage of the versatility they can have in their running game.

Rosen came in and led the team to a long scoring drive that started very deep in Dolphins territory. Rosen's running ability is a weakness/work in progress but he did make some good decisions with his legs on a couple of plays. He continues to make steady progress with the amount of PT he does get.

As I said earlier, the blocking from the offensive line was not the best - it has to improve regardless of who the QB is.

In my opinion the issues with the OL right now are far less concerning than in previous seasons. What I see as an issue with the OL right now is their timing in pass protection- all this will improve with time - but with the start of the season closing in - vast improvement is necessary ASAP.

The TE position is also a position that is showing some signs of improvement and production - of course, as I have said many times - this is no Adam Gase led offense - the TEs are being recognized and used in the passing game as well - they aren't just being used as blockers and neglected in the passing game. TE is another position on the offense, like RB, that has some versatility of which will make it interesting to see how many guys are kept at the position.

The defense, in particular the DL and the secondary took major steps forward IMO. The Fins brought pressure more often last night and earlier in the game than in previous games -- and the execution was better - the tackling was better - while it still needs work. I think the timing of the defense with regards to the line bringing pressure and the secondary being ready in coverage to execute a takeaway or simply making it impossible for the QB to find passing lanes.

The LBs are as much of a work in progress for this team as the OL is. The team does have some good, young talent at the position - and maybe that is the answer for this particular position for the Fins - maybe they need a little more youth to go along with the talent at the LB position rather than veteran guys. Flores said he wants quicker, bigger guys and I just think the younger guys can fill those role better than a veteran like Kiko Alonso.

Special teams - the Fins have their kicking game settled. The coverage teams are on point and will contribute to the scoring their fair share of times this season. As far as the return game goes - the Fins have to figure out who they are going with at KR and PR -- Preston Williams struggled again at WR due to the amount of times he was used in the return game. I understand making the young guys earn their way through special teams and what not - but Williams had been steadily trending upward since he got here until the team began exploring with him in the return game - he has even struggled with it in practice/camp. It would be a big mistake and extremely unfortunate if he falls out of favor with the team due to his struggles in the return game considering how well he was doing at WR before they started to excessively explore with him back there.

All this being said, with the amount of PT Fitzpatrick got in spite of his slow start yesterday, I think the Fins will make him the starter for the season - but I personally believe that Rosen has shown enough to convince the team they shouldn't hesitate to turn to him if he Fitzpatrick continues to underwhelm.

All roster questions will soon be answered.

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rosen looked great but he also didn’t play against the starters. Either way I like what I’m seeing. I’m thinking that they simply don’t want to rush him in until that oline is better. Let Fitz take the lumps which I can understand. Tunsil will help the cause once in but those rookies OG’s are learning on the job.

I think that the D will be better than first thought. Coaching seems to be better already guys are hustling. Rowe looked decent Baker was a stud.

With Adam Gase and Matt Burke gone, the coach is certainly -- significantly better.

I don't usually like to judge "hustle" because everyone is different - but what I will say is, this coaching staff - from day 1 that they got the job and were put together, were very clear in what their plan with the team was - they've expressed it and the players have understood it and executed it.

When mistakes are made, they are pointed out and adjustments take place - no more throwing guys under the bus.

A lot of times it takes time for players to buy into each other - it sure as fuck hardly ever happens in pre-season -- but one thing has been very clear with these guys watching the few times we seee pictures and videos from camp and in games - there is a sense of togetherness with every guy. No one player ever seems to be in their own world on the sidelines. Its always a group of 4-5 guys talking to each other.

Like I said a few times early on in the off-season - the Fins have to re-work this thing from top in order for it to translate to the players and on game day - we are seeing that work making great progress. They need to keep at it during the season, especially any time adversity strikes.

Again, I have to apologize to the few clowns that want this team to "tank" because they think thats the ultimate solution to this rebuild. This team is not tanking. It may lack big names on its roster, talent in more positions than one - this may not be a championship caliber team yet - or a post-season caliber team yet - but this group of guys sure as fuck won't tank. It just doesn't seem to be in them to allow it if they have something to say about it.