• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Miami Dolphins Off-Season Thread

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What if he gets and stays healthy? He has the talent of guy like Mahomes. Tua is fragile and picking him is risky, however, the talent may be worth the risk. Fitzpatrick could bridge the gap during his recovery time.

I would not trade up but if he is there at 5 his talent deserves consideration.
Now now...don't bring logic into a conversation about Tua. Paolo has had it out for him all year even though his arguments against his game have all been shot down with his actual in game play and stats.

I wholeheartedly agree that Tua is a risk at 5 given his injury history. However, at this point with not having a legitimate franchise QB since Marino, I definitely think it is worth the risk given the additional picks the Dolphins have. Do we really want to sit back in a few years and look at Tua as another QB they slide by ala Brees, Rodgers, Watson, Mahomes, etc.? If his medicals check out I think you have to pull the trigger. He is still the best pure passer in this class. He was consensus #1 all year up until his injury for a reason. He has the pedigree and has performed on the biggest stages. Let's get it done.

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What if he gets and stays healthy? He has the talent of guy like Mahomes. Tua is fragile and picking him is risky, however, the talent may be worth the risk. Fitzpatrick could bridge the gap during his recovery time.

I would not trade up but if he is there at 5 his talent deserves consideration.

He will never be " fully" healthy given the severity of the injuries.

I think comparing him to Mahomes is insulting to say the least.

One thing we can all agree with is that the Dolphins have far too many holes - I am just of the opinion that it would be an absolute waste and mistake to invest a first-round pick on such a questionable player - given the amount of holes we have -- and the talent available.

The Dolphins have taken risk on banged up players before, be it through the draft, FA or trades - they've blown up in their face for the most part - people have complained about these moves time and again.

Sure, we can argue about the talent level comparison of those guys -- but the injury factor is the same.

This organization is no position(rebuilding process) to be taken such risk with draft picks. Like I said above, this team has enough holes to address - and there is enough talent available in this draft to address those holes - there is no need to waste any of our high picks on such a risk.

I know it is said that every player is one injury away from having their careers ended -- but such is literally the case with this guy -- his physical well being is at risk with one more severe hit.

As for Fitzpatrick, if Tua were to be the guy, IMO -- that would be more reason to NOT have Fitzpatrick as the "bridge guy". With a guy as fragile as Tua already is -- I think Fitzpatrick would be the worse possible example for Tua to learn from given his injury history. Fitzpatrick is reckless with the ball and his decision making - exposing himself and his team too much by trying to be a hero on every play - that approach would end Tua's career in a hurry.

The Dolphins can do better than this - and we should all be hoping the find a way to do better than this -- otherwise they will be back on their search for a QB in the very immediate future after selecting such damaged goods.

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that Tua has declared - some QB needy teams are looking to move up to get him.

Among interested teams:Lions, Chargers, Jaguars -- of the 3, the only ones that would have to really move up if they think the Dolphins are a threat -- are the Chargers and the Jaguars.

Both teams have some decent young talent that they could move up, if not draft picks - that the Dolphins should be interested in to help in this rebuilding process.

The Dolphins should certainly entertain offers from these two teams -- especially if they can acquire another pick or two. Beyond these two teams, the Dolphins may not have many trade partners available who are seeking a QB seeing as how most everyone else behind them seems to be set at the position.

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions*

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that Tua has declared - some QB needy teams are looking to move up to get him.

Among interested teams:Lions, Chargers, Jaguars -- of the 3, the only ones that would have to really move up if they think the Dolphins are a threat -- are the Chargers and the Jaguars.

Both teams have some decent young talent that they could move up, if not draft picks - that the Dolphins should be interested in to help in this rebuilding process.

The Dolphins should certainly entertain offers from these two teams -- especially if they can acquire another pick or two. Beyond these two teams, the Dolphins may not have many trade partners available who are seeking a QB seeing as how most everyone else behind them seems to be set at the position.

Paolo,

If the Fins go the conservative route and pass on Tua who do you think should be Fins' QB for the future? Tua has health risks. Other QBs have risk too. Their risk is not becoming great. The Fins need a great QB. Maybe their is another great QB besides Burrow in this draft. I know Tua can be great when he's healthy. One of the issues with coming back from injury is the mental aspect. Tua will need to still keep his confidence that his hip can take a hit when he has to. No one knows yet how he will respond physically and mentally. Trading up if he gets hurt and stays hurt would be an even worse setback for a franchise.

Last edited:

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RE accepting trades: Trading up usually gets costly. The Fins could gain a lot in that scenario, however, I think the Fins would have to be certain that they don't want Tua to make a trade. They would need another QB for the future from this draft or foresee a really deep QB draft next year to make that decision.

It's a big decision for the team that's for sure.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I won't speak to how such decision is or what goes into the whole scenario. But, I will say this, the game is the same whether at home or on the road -- even if it is oversees. It is still football.

I really don't think where the game is played is really a factor as to our teams fortunes in the past, present or future. In fact, I think it is a weak argument to suggest that our on/off-field misfortunes over recent years has anything to do with the location of our games.

With that said, with the diversity that the Miami brand represents, you can bet the NFL will ask of the Dolphins to be apart of these games many more times in the future.

I will say this, with how unpopular pre-season games have become for fans around the league - I think the league should instead take the game oversees more during the pre-season. Except for the hardcore fans, I don't think fans over there will care about the names on the field and will still go to the game in bunches to enjoy it.
I agree with the preseason the Raiders went to Canada and sold out but don't underestimate how much of an advantage home games can be. Sure the past few years they stunk so it didn't matter but moving forward Ross isn't helping them any advantage is an advantage.

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Paolo,

If the Fins go the conservative route and pass on Tua who do you think should be Fins' QB for the future? Tua has health risks. Other QBs have risk too. Their risk is not becoming great. The Fins need a great QB. Maybe their is another great QB besides Burrow in this draft. I know Tua can be great when he's healthy. One of the issues with coming back from injury is the mental aspect. Tua will need to still keep his confidence that his hip can take a hit when he has to. No one knows yet how he will respond physically and mentally. Trading up if he gets hurt and stays hurt would be an even worse setback for a franchise.

Passing on damaged goods like Tua would be the smart route not the conservative route.

As for the mental aspect on injuries, that is certainly a factor. That being said, a mentally strong QB/player is only a small aspect of the equation. We have all discussed at some point or another what qualities a QB needs to posses and the ones we would like for the next Dolphins QB to posses.

I will give you that Tua is mentally strong/confident in his abilities - and that may help him regain such feelings about his injury - but he leaves a lot to be desired beyond that, IMO. I am not drinking the kool-aid on this kid.

There are better, more convincing options at the position - that is all I am saying. The fact that the Dolphins may have Fitzpatrick for another season - or any other veteran option they could go with is simply not a good enough reason to take the type of risk selecting this guy would bring. The Dolphins can and need to do better.

Let me also add, the fact that the Dolphins have the draft capital that they have in the next couple of drafts IS NOT a good enough reason to take such a risk, either. They can AND MUST do better. I would think that is something we all could agree on.

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RE accepting trades: Trading up usually gets costly. The Fins could gain a lot in that scenario, however, I think the Fins would have to be certain that they don't want Tua to make a trade. They would need another QB for the future from this draft or foresee a really deep QB draft next year to make that decision.

It's a big decision for the team that's for sure.

They will have more than their fair share of options at QB in this draft AND the next draft -- which is yet another reason why they don't need to waste a pick on such a risk.

I would think that a team, a fan base that is trying to get passed mediocrity would prefer something closer to a sure thing with such a high pick. Maybe I am wrong.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They will have more than their fair share of options at QB in this draft AND the next draft -- which is yet another reason why they don't need to waste a pick on such a risk.

I would think that a team, a fan base that is trying to get passed mediocrity would prefer something closer to a sure thing with such a high pick. Maybe I am wrong.
I'm not in love with any of these QBs but either way no one knows who's going to be great, good or bust and eventually they need to find someone to compete with Rosen. I'd actually be ok with trading back and getting more picks. Then with the added picks the risk is decreased. Eventually you hopefully hit gold. I'm still pissed that Charles Harris is looking so bad as I actually said at the time to trade back and TJ Watt was still sitting there.

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jake Fromm out of Georgia officially declares for the draft - another option that would be so much better in every way.

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not in love with any of these QBs but either way no one knows who's going to be great, good or bust and eventually they need to find someone to compete with Rosen. I'd actually be ok with trading back and getting more picks. Then with the added picks the risk is decreased. Eventually you hopefully hit gold. I'm still pissed that Charles Harris is looking so bad as I actually said at the time to trade back and TJ Watt was still sitting there.

On Charles Harris, I will keep my opinion to myself on this one - but I will just say he is among many of our young guys who there is a mixed bag about. On a lot of our young guys -- the opinion changes on who you ask.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RE Harris: I remember you mock drafting TJ Watt. I was suprised by the Harris choice by the team at the team. It seems like he's really missed an opportunity to establish himself.

RE Fromm. 24 TDs with 5 INTs isn't bad. His team was had 12 wins. Perhaps he is being over looked in this draft. He is a pocket passer who could have a solid career in the right system.

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is how I would rank team needs for the Dolphins:
1.OT
2.Edge Rusher
3.OG
4. QB
5. RB

I would say I could rank QB as a priority anywhere between 3-5 on my list - depending on who the choices are, round - and who on the current depth chart has the edge going into the season. If its Fitzpatrick, obviously it is a greater need - if its Rosen - or a different, younger veteran option - it is not as big a need.

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RE Harris: I remember you mock drafting TJ Watt. I was suprised by the Harris choice by the team at the team. It seems like he's really missed an opportunity to establish himself.

RE Fromm. 24 TDs with 5 INTs isn't bad. His team was had 12 wins. Perhaps he is being over looked in this draft. He is a pocket passer who could have a solid career in the right system.

I get the feeling you aren't talking to me here - or are confusing me for someone else - considering I have never given any sort of an opinion on TJ Watt

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get the feeling you aren't talking to me here - or are confusing me for someone else - considering I have never given any sort of an opinion on TJ Watt
I did the SportsHoopla mock draft the year TJ Watt was there. I was able to trade back for more picks and took Watt worked out fantastic. If that happened the Fins would have that much needed edge rusher already. Harris should also be that guy but hasn't seemed to turn the corner but maybe he will next season.

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not saying we should go after him, I am simply pointing him out as an option that will be available - Marcus Mariota fits into the description of young, veteran QB with some upside that I would prefer the Dolphins to go with as their "bridge guy" while grooming the right young QB.

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patrick Graham interviewing for position with the Giants.

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congratulations to Tannehill on taking his team to the AFC title game - meanwhile, the Dolphins QB only got the Dolphins the 5th pick in the draft.