• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Miami Dolphins Off-Season Thread

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know the details but they are going after a good mix of players. Also signed a S/special team player from Cinci.

Dolphins, Byron Jones agree to deal to make him highest-paid CB

Bryon Jones is heading to Florida.

The Miami Dolphins are signing the free-agent cornerback to a massive deal making him the now highest-paid corner, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported, per a source informed.

Around The NFL will have more on this story soon.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter

Byron Jones’ new contract with the Dolphins will be a five-year, $82.5 million deal, including $57 million guaranteed, per source. It includes $40 million in first two years.

As expected, the Dolphins manipulated the guaranteed dollars in this deal to keep it team friendly. That is a win for Jones, too — as he will be getting his guaranteed cash early on in his contract. Jones, who is 27 years old, has served as a starter in Dallas for each of his five seasons in the NFL. He’s a much better player than his interception totals would indicate — and putting him on the field across from Howard should give him more and more opportunities to contest the football and will make it harder for opposing offenses to avoid him.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FlyerFinFan,

The Fins secondary will be very formidable with Jones and Howard in coverage. You wanted a quality CB added and that's what the team did. These guys that they are adding are in the prime of their careers.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FlyerFinFan,

The Fins secondary will be very formidable with Jones and Howard in coverage. You wanted a quality CB added and that's what the team did. These guys that they are adding are in the prime of their careers.
May be a quicker turnaround than we think. Just have to fix that oline and they'll already be better even with Fitz or Rosen at QB next season. If they also hit at QB in the draft watch out.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're not done yet holy cripes!

Terez A. Paylor @TerezPaylor

Source confirms that LB Kyle Van Noy is headed to Miami on a four-year, $51 million deal (@RapSheet had it first).

With the addition of Van Noy and CB Byron Jones, the Dolphins are beefing up a defense that caught my attention a few times last season.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently most of these players are character guys so hopefully it doesn’t go sideways. They are also still relatively young so it’s not like they are a bunch of over the hill gang. Can’t see X getting more than 1-2 games as it wasn’t that serious but can he stay healthy is the key?

Still need a QB, LT, C, RB, NT, and depth on the oline but they have 14 picks and cash left. I don’t think buffalo is that far ahead as their QB is iffy…

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Fins just signed DE Ogbah. He's another solid addition. He's experienced and still at a good stage in his career.

The Fins need to land a run stuffing, disruptive NT. Michael Pierce from Baltimore is an option. He is 27 and plays at 345 lbs. There doesn't appear to be many true NTs in the draft.

RE the other positions of need: The Fins will have more flexibility in the draft because of all these additions. They can now use extra picks to trade up for the right talent if the deal makes sense. However, I would use all three first round picks without trading them. QB, LT, RB could be all added in the first round. RE Center: They may still look to add a top FA.

RE Buffalo: They added WR Diggs. He is exactly the player that they needed. I think they will challenge for the AFC East title. However, they couldn't beat the Pats last year. The Fins accomplished that on the road before they added all of the talent this off season. I think the days of the Pats having a cakewalk to an AFC East division title are over.

Last edited:

BigFin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looks like we have room for one more quality FA. We still have to sign a potentially expensive draft class.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Fins just signed DE Ogbah. He's another solid addition. He's experienced and still at a good stage in his career.

The Fins need to land a run stuffing, disruptive NT. Michael Pierce from Baltimore is an option. He is 27 and plays at 345 lbs. There doesn't appear to be many true NTs in the draft.

RE the other positions of need: The Fins will have more flexibility in the draft because of all these additions. They can now use extra picks to trade up for the right talent if the deal makes sense. However, I would use all three first round picks without trading them. QB, LT, RB could be all added in the first round. RE Center: They may still look to add a top FA.

RE Buffalo: They added WR Diggs. He is exactly the player that they needed. I think they will challenge for the AFC East title. However, they couldn't beat the Pats last year. The Fins accomplished that on the road before they added all of the talent this off season. I think the days of the Pats having a cakewalk to an AFC East division title are over.
Most of the FA's are in their prime or close. Some have a little uncertainty but who doesn't? Pierce would be great for the right price.

Cross a high RB pick off Howard is a Fin. Didn't realize he's only 25 but he's had some tough running. Either way I'd still take one 2nd rd or lower. QB, LT and C are big but should be able to find one in the draft. I'd draft two tackles double down and OG add depth they have tons of picks.

I'm not sold on bufs QB but they'll be better. I don't think that the Fins are that far behind if they hit on QB themselves.

psaboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hear they will sign Jordan Howard. I like that a lot, dude is only 25 and can play some good ball

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought they picked up an OT??
He's going to most likely play OG. He had better success there last season. Hopefully continues to get better!

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Fins landed a Center/OG from the Pats: Ted Karras. It's a one year contract. He'll have a year to prove he's a long term player with the Fins and to see how much he wants to be a part of the organization.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elandon Roberts is also a Fin. The former Pats players will pick up the defense quick having played for Flores before and the other guys are experienced also which will help them to learn well. Pats players bring Championship experience (Ogbah also). The defense is so much more talented with all of these new additions. The Fins now have two of the best cover CBs and versatile pass rushers at LB & DE. These guys can play the run well and get after QBs.

The offense will be better also with Flowers and Karras added. Fitzmagic will have more time to throw and Howard and other RBs will have running lanes.

Flores won games last year with a lot less talent on the roster.

Last edited:

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are rumors that the Fins will make an offer for Joe Burrow. He is the one QB in this draft that I would trade more than a second rounder and pick #5 for. He is that good and doesn't carry as much injury risk as Tua. That said, the team would still need a starting OT and another RB.

I don't think the Bengals will accept the offer. Although it would be a lot better for them. They need a lot more than a QB to improve their organization.

I predict whoever the Fins start at QB will have a better career than Burrow because of Flores, Grier, and the supporting players on the Fins roster.

The Fins have already become a place where FAs want to play. The Fins are a team on the rise.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are rumors that the Fins will make an offer for Joe Burrow. He is the one QB in this draft that I would trade more than a second rounder and pick #5 for. He is that good and doesn't carry as much injury risk as Tua. That said, the team would still need a starting OT and another RB.

I don't think the Bengals will accept the offer. Although it would be a lot better for them. They need a lot more than a QB to improve their organization.

I predict whoever the Fins start at QB will have a better career than Burrow because of Flores, Grier, and the supporting players on the Fins roster.

The Fins have already become a place where FAs want to play. The Fins are a team on the rise.
They are saying it will take 5, 18 and two seconds. Maybe they could offer a 1st next year. I can see it if he's guaranteed to be special but do we know 100%? I'd almost rather them take Herbert or Love and stock up everywhere else. I just wish we knew if Rosen has a shot or not as that would make a big difference when deciding...

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have watched Burrow a lot as an LSU fan. My first impression of him was his toughness. He was playing UM and they were putting big hits on and he kept making plays and won the game. The following year he had a full offseason to prepare and a better OC and oline. He picked every defense apart all year long. He is the first player who has reminded me of Brady but with more athleticism. His decision making was nearly flawless last year. He is very accurate wit his passes like Tua.

I would make the trade that you are mentioning. I would still have a first rounder for an OT. I would choose a RB in the 3rd round and use the rest of the picks to fill in other needs. The team also has an extra first and second round pick for next year.

Burrow will waste his talent with the Bengals. I am sure that he's hoping the Fins pick him but he is in a tough spot because he is from Ohio. He has been compared to Andrew Luck. I think he will have about as much success as Luck had if the Bengals refuse the trade and draft him. If you were a FA would you rather play in Ohio or sunny income tax free S. Florida. It's 75 degrees throughout the winter here. Plus the team has a great Coach, GM, and Owner. With the extra draft picks they could add enough talent to build some momentum.

If Tua hadn't had the devastating hip injury I would pick him instead. He still may be worth the risk. When healthy he is about as good as Burrow. The NFL season is longer than a college season and the guys are bigger, stronger, and faster. I am rooting for him in his career but does anyone really know what his mobility and mentality will be like in a game until he plays again. Like I said, he could be worth the risk. The Fins could use the extra picks without a trade.

The team also would be fine with Herbert. I see him as a capable QB. He wont make many mistakes. He plays smart and has all the tools to develop.

I didn't watch any of Love's games so I don't really know about his accuracy.

Last edited: